• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski NY

gmcunni

landed at JFK this morning and as i left the jetblue terminal there was an awesome ad on the wall for NY skiing. It was 30-40 feet wide full wall picture of a snowy chairlift. had i not been in a rush and had my hands full i would have snapped a picture.

i noticed in the corner of the ad a reference to the adirondacks.

I don't ski much in NY.. which is better, the Adirondacks or the Catskill mountains?

ScottySkis

They started adversting in the subway few years ago for for Adirondacks. Well my hill in Roxbury gets about 185 inches of snow a year because in the western Catskills, The other three resorts in the Cats get about 150 inches of snow and so do Whiteface and Gore with average snow fall about 150. Vertical and mass the Aks blow away any of the Catskills with chair lifts.

AdironRider

Whiteface, at least as a passholder there, averaged closer to 200, if not above, than 150.

ADK has better terrain, less crowds, and the best BC options on the East Coast. Its a no brainer.

ScottySkis

I am sure Adironrider is correct about snow average and what he said. The terrain and vertical and ppl who live in Cats go up to ski the ADk. People in Adk dont come down to the Catskills. Gore is like a private mountain on holidays I been to Gore about 15 times the glades and steep contius vertical is fun. I only been to whiteface twice both times after bad weather.

RuhiRants

Website
www.facebook.com
I live down the road from Belleayre, and close to Plattekill, so I enjoy the local hills... I really like Gore in the Adirondacks. I don't have much experience with Whiteface, but will probably get up there a couple of times this season... Since Belleayre, Gore and Whiteface are NYS owned they offer a ski3 season pass, so I have to take advantage.

skiersleft

They started adversting in the subway few years ago for for Adirondacks. Well my hill in Roxbury gets about 185 inches of snow a year because in the western Catskills, The other three resorts in the Cats get about 150 inches of snow and so do Whiteface and Gore with average snow fall about 150. Vertical and mass the Aks blow away any of the Catskills with chair lifts.

Windham and Hunter average considerably less than 150 inches per year. Closer to 100 inches. Both Gore and WF average considerably more.

skiersleft

landed at JFK this morning and as i left the jetblue terminal there was an awesome ad on the wall for NY skiing. It was 30-40 feet wide full wall picture of a snowy chairlift. had i not been in a rush and had my hands full i would have snapped a picture.

i noticed in the corner of the ad a reference to the adirondacks.

I don't ski much in NY.. which is better, the Adirondacks or the Catskill mountains?

It's not even close. ADK's are much better than Cats. It's not even the same game.

This is the pic you saw, I think.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 352

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I live down the road from Belleayre, and close to Plattekill, so I enjoy the local hills... I really like Gore in the Adirondacks. I don't have much experience with Whiteface, but will probably get up there a couple of times this season... Since Belleayre, Gore and Whiteface are NYS owned they offer a ski3 season pass, so I have to take advantage.

I suspect this pass is driving business to all three state-owned mountains.

Cornhead

I agree the Daks are superior to the Cats for skiing, but I greatly appreciate the Cats. I can easily do any of the Cats resorts as a day trip, the Daks not so much, but I have. The Cats are great for me when I get tired of the local hill, but don't want to spend the cash for a full blown ski trip. Their vert and terrain is in between my local hill and bigger mountains too. Platty has become my favorite by far, I kick myself for waiting so long to ski there, love everything about the place.

When I first saw this thread the time tag for th OP was 12/1982, I thought Scotty was replying to a 32 yr old post. There was no internet in 82, I guess technically there was, but not as we know it, how weird.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cornhead

So, which resort is that photo from? Looks like too much snow for whiteface
Looks like the summit quad at Whiteface, the fact it's not spinning is more evidence that it's WF, they do get a lot of wind holds after storms, I've been burned more than once.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

BenedictGomez

As others have said, the ADK is so much better than the Cats it's not a contest. Similar to trying to compare s.VT mountains with n.VT mountains. That said, the Cats are certainly not terrible, Plattekill is one of my favorite ski areas. As long as you're not the type who spends 75% of your day in the woods, you'll enjoy skiing there.

catskills

Catskills are much closer to NYC, Long Island, NJ, PA, MD.

ADK is significantly further away. :spin:

Drewboy

As a residence of upstate NY I wouldn't consider skiing in the Catskills and not because of the terrain! It's due to the people of NYC who go there! Their f u attitude should be left in the Hampton's or any other snobatorium they come from!!! But I must say enjoy the new Legends bar I am building you city dwellers at Windham Mtn.!!!!

BenedictGomez

As a residence of upstate NY I wouldn't consider skiing in the Catskills and not because of the terrain! It's due to the people of NYC who go there! Their f u attitude should be left in the Hampton's or any other snobatorium they come from!!! But I must say enjoy the new Legends bar I am building you city dwellers at Windham Mtn.!!!!

Toolbox alert.

RuhiRants

Website
www.facebook.com
Belleayre doesn't get those kinds of people... Its a small mountain, but the atmosphere is fantastic, IMHO... Hunter and Windham not so much..