• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Trail Pod?

dlague

I like Jay Peaks Jet Pod and Burke's upper mountain Pod. Is it the best maybe not for most but I enjoy it!

BenedictGomez

Maybe I dont know what a "Trail Pod" is, but I always thought it was a given area of terrain that can only be reached via one lift? Like much of the terrain at Gore. To me, that's true "pod" skiing, but perhaps I'm misusing the term given some of the suggestions here.

ScottySkis

Maybe I dont know what a "Trail Pod" is, but I always thought it was a given area of terrain that can only be reached via one lift? Like much of the terrain at Gore. To me, that's true "pod" skiing, but perhaps I'm misusing the term given some of the suggestions here.

+1 I said Gore. It is all a pod.

xlr8r

Summit Express at Pico

When the snow is good, I could ski that lift all day and not get bored, it has a little bit of everything.

Wide Liftline Supertrail - Pike
Classic New England trails - KA, and Sunset 71
Groomed cruiser - 49er
Steep natural terrain - Upper Giant Killer, Summit Glades
Low angle natural terrain - Lower KA, Lower Giant Killer, Birch Glades, Sunset Schuss

They also have added some upper mountain glades, and mid mountain glades. Its not the toughest pod but it gets my vote for being the most fun.

skiNEwhere

Personally, I define a pod as trails that can be accessed by a single lift, and those trails return to that lift

I think they are supposed to have less vert that the total Mtn as well, but that's just my opinion

Ex. Bear Mtn at K, birdland at MRG

xlr8r

For the most part this is my idea of a pod. I think a pod is terrain that can be lapped off of only a single lift. In other words a pod cannot contain smaller pods with exception for short beginner areas or backup lifts. Therefore Wildcat Express, Forerunner quad, or Cannon Tram are not pods by my definition. Some areas on the fringe of my definition are pods like Magic Mountain and Mount Snow North Face. But because those areas have two lifts that start and terminate in roughly the same spot, I consider them pods as one lift in each is essentially a backup or overflow lift. Same goes for pods like Stratton Sun Bowl, or Mount snow Carinthia as the Solstice quad and heavy metal chairs really are only used when the lines get really bad.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Personally, I define a pod as trails that can be accessed by a single lift, and those trails return to that lift

Yes, that's pretty much my definition as well.

Scotty and I gave Gore as an example, and you can see from the below why. Essentially the entire place is pod skiing. I didnt like it at first, but after skiing there a handful of times I've grown to like it, it seems to spread the people out on weekend so it never feels crowded. If you miss your lift, however, it can be a PITA.

gore-trail-map-2011.jpg

Smellytele

Yes, that's pretty much my definition as well.

Scotty and I gave Gore as an example, and you can see from the below why. Essentially the entire place is pod skiing. I didnt like it at first, but after skiing there a handful of times I've grown to like it, it seems to spread the people out on weekend so it never feels crowded. If you miss your lift, however, it can be a PITA.

While i did like skiing there somewhat, each pod doesn't have enough trails and you end up skiing connector trails too often to get between them. (run on sentence)

ScottySkis

While i did like skiing there somewhat, each pod doesn't have enough trails and you end up skiing connector trails too often to get between them. (run on sentence)
Their trails their, that can happen to you learn about the cut offs and where to catch a chair.

MadMadWorld

I think those are solid descriptions of what a trail pod is. I also consider trails that generally don't get skied much unless a certain lift is running. As an example, trails like Feline and Hairball don't get skied off much at Wildcat unless the Tomcat lift is running.