• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suicide Six's name

SIKSKIER

We can't have mts named after weapons either.I still have an old poster somewhere that says "Cannon...its a blast.

Attachments

• cannonbooming.jpg
    cannonbooming.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 105

St. Jerry

Whiteface could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if they changed the name to IceFace. A more PC name and more accurate name to describe the mountain

jaytrem

Cedar Point, and amusement park in Ohio, once named a new coaster "Banshee". Some religeous groups took offense and put up a big stink. 7 days later they changed the name to "Mantis". Oddly enough they decided to use the "Banshee" name for a new coaster at one of their other parks (also in Ohio) this past year. I guess they didn't want to waste the money spent on trademarking the name. I didn't hear of any backlash this time.

Link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_(roller_coaster
)

Smellytele

Cedar Point, and amusement park in Ohio, once named a new coaster "Banshee". Some religeous groups took offense and put up a big stink. 7 days later they changed the name to "Mantis". Oddly enough they decided to use the "Banshee" name for a new coaster at one of their other parks (also in Ohio) this past year. I guess they didn't want to waste the money spent on trademarking the name. I didn't hear of any backlash this time.

Link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_(roller_coaster
)

Went on that this summer. Awesome amusement park.

jimk

I'm from Redskins country. How do you guys feel about that name for an NFL team? Naturally, since I've been rooting for them since the '60s I prefer to keep it. In the context of our team history and spirit it is totally meant as an expression of honor/courage/tenacity, the same as warrior or brave. It is only with the application of new perspectives, biases, or interpretations that it has come to equate to a racial or ethnic slur by some folks. Having said that, it's only a friggin' game and if the name now pisses off a significant portion of the population, even if they are primarily outside the Redskins fanbase, then who am I to insist it stays? The team owner says something to the effect of "over my dead body" about the name change, but the funny thing is I hear he would stand to make millions in selling modified merchandise for all fans who need to update their jerseys, ball caps, and key chains:)

dlague

I'm from Redskins country. How do you guys feel about that name for an NFL team? Naturally, since I've been rooting for them since the '60s I prefer to keep it. In the context of our team history and spirit it is totally meant as an expression of honor/courage/tenacity, the same as warrior or brave. It is only with the application of new perspectives, biases, or interpretations that it has come to equate to a racial or ethnic slur by some folks. Having said that, it's only a friggin' game and if the name now pisses off a significant portion of the population, even if they are primarily outside the Redskins fanbase, then who am I to insist it stays? The team owner says something to the effect of "over my dead body" about the name change, but the funny thing is I hear he would stand to make millions in selling modified merchandise for all fans who need to update their jerseys, ball caps, and key chains:)

I say leave it alone! I get what it stands for in the right way!

Smellytele

It is not how you or I feel about it. It is how the Native Americans feel about it. (I know they came from somewhere else to but...). Actually unfortunately it will come down the advertisers.

VTKilarney

The origin and historical use of the term Redskin has been completely distorted in the era of political correctness. But if people truly find it offensive, what does that matter? As a supporter of the First Amendment, I do not believe that government should be allowed to mandate a name change. But as a person who appreciates that term is genuinely offense to many people, I think that the organization should change the name. There isn't much to be gained by keeping it at this point. There have been plenty of name changes in sports history. It's not that big of a deal to have one more.

4aprice

If they are forced to change the name I'm done with the NFL. It's been around for 80 some odd years and now its a problem? Enough of the pink socks and gloves too. (Yes I'm sympathetic to beast cancer victims) Wouldn't a nice little pink ribbon decal on the back of the helmet be enough?

Suicide Six? Isn't the name derived from Hill #6 and the fact that people thought it would be suicide to ski it back in the day. Where is that politically incorrect? I call them all "professional offendies".

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

VTKilarney

Suicide Six? Isn't the name derived from Hill #6 and the fact that people thought it would be suicide to ski it back in the day. Where is that politically incorrect? I call them all "professional offendies".
Once again, you are mistakenly applying logic to this issue. There are tons of "advocates" in Vermont who treat logic and facts in the same manner that Superman treats kryptonite. They keep their distance.

VTKilarney

Some more ski areas that might be targeted:
- Ski Bluewood
- Mount Peter
- Sawkill Family Ski Center
- Cockaigne
- Owl's Head
- China Peak
- Brian Head
- Beaver Mountain
- Beaver Creek Resort
- Big White

BenedictGomez

Remember all of the controversy over Vermont Teddy Bear's "Crazy For You" bear?

That actually happened? LULZ

Liberals tirelessly SEARCH for things to"pretend" to be offended by.

I'm from Redskins country. How do you guys feel about that name for an NFL team?

The name is actually complimentary historically, not racist in the slightest, and surveys of actual American Indians (not that the PC police give a rat's ass) show it's much ado about nothing.

I will never eat there again. This is beyond ridiculous. And the MAYOR'S reaction in actually praising the restaurant for removing the sign as somehow being "inclusive" and "culturally diverse / promoting diversity" in some alternate universe was even more ridiculous (though predictable).