• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suicide Six's name

skiNEwhere

The whole point of college was to get a leg up on your peers with higher education. Except that since everyone has a college degree, they are all on the same playing field. A masters degree is essentially the new bachelors degree.

The government providing financial aid has caused tuition prices to spiral out of control as well, in my opinion.

Who knows how long it will be before a PhD becomes the new masters degree.

BenedictGomez

IBM's plant is not what it used to be and will be shuttered sooner than later.

When I lived in Vermont, it seemed like Howard Dean thought it was his job to chase businesses out of state.

The liberals seem to focus on one thing - the unemployment rate. But that is deceiving. In my nearly 17 years in Vermont, I have seen many good jobs eliminated and numerous lousy jobs crop up.

But part-time jobs are skyrocketing, as are fast-food and service jobs!

The real growth has been in education and government. Vermont's education spending is out of control, and the unions are doing everything in their power to make sure it stays that way.

Which is why I say Vermont is just like New Jersey, where I was born and raised. The above is exactly what happened in NJ. When I look at Vermont now, it's like I'm looking at how New Jersey was when I was a kid, and now New Jersey is teetering on bankruptcy.

It got so bad that New Jersey actually did the unthinkable and elected a Republican as governor, but he's powerless because both chambers of government are Democrat and whatever Christie wants to do to lower taxes or decrease spending doesn't happen. The Unions are like the mafia here! Even now, standing on the edge of a financial cliff, we cant right the ship (even a little). If you want to know the future of Vermont, study New Jersey from 1985 to present.

BenedictGomez

The whole point of college was to get a leg up on your peers with higher education. Except that since everyone has a college degree, they are all on the same playing field. A masters degree is essentially the new bachelors degree.

The government providing financial aid has caused tuition prices to spiral out of control as well, in my opinion.

Who knows how long it will be before a PhD becomes the new masters degree.

All very well-said. It's sad. :-(

Smellytele

They teach Economics? Hardly seems it in most places. Frankly, I've always thought you could solve a lot of America's woes if children learned finance/economics from a young age. Politicians wouldnt be able to pull the wool over people's eyes nearly as much.

Actually got my son to take an economics class this year as a junior in high school. We'll see how this goes.

jack97

Actually got my son to take an economics class this year as a junior in high school. We'll see how this goes.

Hmmm..... wonder what type of economics they will teach. Marx, Keynes and so on are considered great economic minds.

attachment.php

AdironRider

Outside of basic supply and demand, high school economics classes are a joke.

I remember having to take home ec though. IMO they should get rid of the bullshit sewing and needlepoint skills and focus on the real stuff, like balancing a checkbook, credit ratings, etc.

Edd

Never took Economics in high school which explains a lot about my early years. The typing class really set me up for success, though.

skiNEwhere

My favorite quote as pertaining to education is "Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school" by Albert Einstein.

Don't remember much from HS other than some of the math classes. And using "format painter" in typing class. That's about it.
8)

SIKSKIER

This thread has almost nothing to do with Suicide Six but I must say I am enjoying the back and forth here.And surprise surprise for me is that most of you are making a lot of sense to me.Were doomed!

dlague

This thread has almost nothing to do with Suicide Six but I must say I am enjoying the back and forth here.And surprise surprise for me is that most of you are making a lot of sense to me.Were doomed!

That made sense to me!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This is an excellent thread topica dn something I never thought of before, although I have no resorts to add. you guys have pretty much nailed it.

VTKilarney

Well, there was still Devil's Head Resort in Wisconsin. And while it is not naughty per se, I can't help but giggle at Pennsylvania's Tussey Mountain.

There are many naughty cross-country ski area names, not the least of which is Hardwood Valley in Ontario.

bdfreetuna

Whiteface > Check Your Privilege Face

Big Squaw > Big-Is-Beaultiful Native Wimmins Mountain

Suicide Six > Robin Williams Is In Heaven Peak

Sugarbush > SugarObama

Mad River Glen > Schizoaffective Disorder River Glen

Loon Mountain > Social Justice Warrior Mountain