• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iphone 6 coming soon

SkiFanE

So my 4S is 9 mos old, but I got a replacement through insurance from Apple, so the warranty is only 3 mos, not the typical 1 year. Works fine, but my wifi shit the bed. It's definitely hardware. Crap.

So I'm living with it for now, but need to decide what to do. Not going Droid/Windows, so will stick with iPhone. I could get a 4S for $199 straight from Apple today, and I really don't care about new/up and coming. If it works I'm happy. But with the 4S, I know it's 3yo model...and hesitant to buy something that apps will have trouble with in a year. Eventually they stop the backwards compatibility. Could get the 5S, but that only saves $100 over the 6. We have the ATT NEXXT plan, so basically buying in monthly installments works best for me ($27/mo for 2 years). Being a phone addict yet frugal sucks!

So...I guess once the hub-bub dies down I'll bite the bullet for the iPhone 6. Wow...I could actually be on the cutting edge? Please...hate that...will I fall over the cliff? Will it be bugging at first? Should I wait a month after release for them to clean up IOS bugs?

wa-loaf

So my 4S is 9 mos old, but I got a replacement through insurance from Apple, so the warranty is only 3 mos, not the typical 1 year. Works fine, but my wifi shit the bed. It's definitely hardware. Crap.

So I'm living with it for now, but need to decide what to do. Not going Droid/Windows, so will stick with iPhone. I could get a 4S for $199 straight from Apple today, and I really don't care about new/up and coming. If it works I'm happy. But with the 4S, I know it's 3yo model...and hesitant to buy something that apps will have trouble with in a year. Eventually they stop the backwards compatibility. Could get the 5S, but that only saves $100 over the 6. We have the ATT NEXXT plan, so basically buying in monthly installments works best for me ($27/mo for 2 years). Being a phone addict yet frugal sucks!

So...I guess once the hub-bub dies down I'll bite the bullet for the iPhone 6. Wow...I could actually be on the cutting edge? Please...hate that...will I fall over the cliff? Will it be bugging at first? Should I wait a month after release for them to clean up IOS bugs?

4s is the oldest model that will support iOS8 that comes out today. That means next year it's likely to be dropped. I'd spring for something newer, plus not having wifi is likely to give your data plan a hit.

SkiFanE

And working in healthcare I have 2 beepers/pagers. Yes...they still exist haha. I've ditched them and now have an app on my phone that pages me... (range didn't make it to SR on the beeper, so had to remedy or I'd never be able to ski). I kinda miss those two object on my belt/pants...felt like an important person. Of course, the only place I can't get service on my phone is a few buildings at the hospital...so I'm unreachable at work...pretty funny. So I've been quiet about my phone losing wi-fi, as I'm afraid my work would freak if they knew..lol...luckily I get AT&T everywhere.

SkiFanE

4s is the oldest model that will support iOS8 that comes out today. That means next year it's likely to be dropped. I'd spring for something newer, plus not having wifi is likely to give your data plan a hit.

Thanks for that - Apple store guy said IOS 8 would be fine on 4S indefinitely...seemed like a crock. The only data heavy stuff I do is stream music at work, so gave that up...stream from PC now (and surprised my workplace even allows it).

SkiFanE

And now that I have you on the line...should I upgrade my 4S to IOS 8? Still kinda hoping some magic fixes my wifi (yeah...I believe in Santa claus too).

Edd

And now that I have you on the line...should I upgrade my 4S to IOS 8? Still kinda hoping some magic fixes my wifi (yeah...I believe in Santa claus too).

I'm thinking I'm not going to update my 4S to iOS 8; certainly not for awhile until the bugs clear a bit. Since I'm planning on getting the 6 myself, it doesn't seem worth any trouble short of pure curiosity.

wa-loaf

I'd wait a couple weeks. Then check some of the mac blogs ... sometimes these updates wipe out data if there is a bug. Definitely back everything up first.

Puck it

That is funny my wife's iPhone will not connect to the house wifi. I bought a new router too and still no luck. I bought the new router mostly for speed and range of signal. It just wont connect to either wifi signal on router.

wa-loaf

I'm thinking I'm not going to update my 4S to iOS 8; certainly not for awhile until the bugs clear a bit. Since I'm planning on getting the 6 myself, it doesn't seem worth any trouble short of pure curiosity.

I'd wait a couple weeks. Then check some of the mac blogs ... sometimes these updates wipe out data if there is a bug. Definitely back everything up first.

Aaand, just saw this: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/17/ios-8-iphone-4s/

SkiFanE

That is funny my wife's iPhone will not connect to the house wifi. I bought a new router too and still no luck. I bought the new router mostly for speed and range of signal. It just wont connect to either wifi signal on router.

It started in house wife..rebooted router after a day, and that fixed it. Then it did it again a few days later, router reboot didn't fix. Read how to reset network settings, that worked a couple times. Then that fix didn't work, then once turning on/off with bluetooth on fixed it...then totally dead. Husband works in embedded systems and says that's typical h/w failure, works/doesn't for a while before full death...futzed for a month before finally gave up and went to Apple store. I read also that upgrade to iOS 7.2 caused the problem, but I was still on 7.0 when it failed, not due to upgrade.

Puck it

It started in house wife..rebooted router after a day, and that fixed it. Then it did it again a few days later, router reboot didn't fix. Read how to reset network settings, that worked a couple times. Then that fix didn't work, then once turning on/off with bluetooth on fixed it...then totally dead. Husband works in embedded systems and says that's typical h/w failure, works/doesn't for a while before full death...futzed for a month before finally gave up and went to Apple store. I read also that upgrade to iOS 7.2 caused the problem, but I was still on 7.0 when it failed, not due to upgrade.

It started with my wife upgrading to Ios 7.x too. I don't think it is hardware on the phone. It connects to other wifi like at her work.

SkiFanE

It started with my wife upgrading to Ios 7.x too. I don't think it is hardware on the phone. It connects to other wifi like at her work.

I think 7.2 caused the problem..from what I read. Lots of suggestions on how to fix...odd it's only your house...def was not my problem.