• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iphone 6 coming soon

Edd

no dice

phone still won't connect to the Comcast router

Sorry, I maintain gadgets for a living so I get obsessive about things.

What happens exactly? Assuming the phone sees your network, do you then tap the network name on the phone, see a spinning icon, and no connection takes place? Is there an error message?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I get prompted to put in my network password. I enter it. The phone goes to work trying to connect. I get a message that it cannot connect.

bvibert

Staff member
I get prompted to put in my network password. I enter it. The phone goes to work trying to connect. I get a message that it cannot connect.

Maybe the iPhone isn't compatible with whatever WiFi security settings you're using? Something similar happened to me several years ago when trying to setup a Mac notebook on my existing WiFi network (that was working just fine with Windows laptops). This was my wife's brand new laptop, so it needed to connect to our network, I couldn't just live with it not working. After a long time of screwing around with it, trying every setting that I could find, I came to the realization that the Mac just didn't support whatever security settings I was trying to use, so I had to dumb down my security settings to something that the Mac understood. I don't remember what the particulars were now, but I was pretty frustrated, and that's just part of the reason that I have no love for Apple products.

Puck it

My wife's iPhone5 does the same thing at our house with the WIFI router. I even bought a new router and still does not connect. I think it is her phone since no one else has a problem. She has another strange problem. She can not select her recent calls and call back.

Glenn

no dice

Try using a different router. You'll end up saving money in the long run. Get your own modem as well. At $7 a month, it'll pay for itself in short order. The "rental" fees they charge for equipment is bananas.

ctenidae

attachment.php

Attachments

• iPhone-6-Bending-Samsung-Skewers-Apple-in-New-Ads-600x360.jpeg
    iPhone-6-Bending-Samsung-Skewers-Apple-in-New-Ads-600x360.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 167

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I updated mine and did a restore and I actually like it.
I have an upgrade available but my 5 is in perfect condition, think I'll wait till I smash it (which probably won't be too long) before I take advantage of the 6.

Geoff

no dice

Try disabling security to see if it works at all. The web interface is on http://10.0.0.1 Default username=admin password=password

Click on "Connection", click on "WiFi", click on "Edit", select "Open" for your security setting.

Also, flip the device upside-down. Is it Arris, Technicolor, Cisco, or SMC? Our stuff has trouble with certain Samsung panels but I haven't heard about any iPhone issues.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Any risk by "opening" security? I live in a condo complex, so my network shows up on about a dozen other peoples.

It's an Arris TG862.

I'll give your advice a shot when my wife gets home later on and she wishes to connect to wifi. My personal droid connects just fine. I do my best to let the my business iPhone collect dust on weekends.

Geoff

Any risk by "opening" security? I live in a condo complex, so my network shows up on about a dozen other peoples.

It's an Arris TG862.

I'll give your advice a shot when my wife gets home later on and she wishes to connect to wifi. My personal droid connects just fine. I do my best to let the my business iPhone collect dust on weekends.

Just use MAC filtering so your neighbors can't surf your WiFi. That's also on that same web page. The WiFi Router learns all your MAC addresses and you should see them all. Just "allow" those. Security is kind of a crock. You use WiFi for your laptop and smartphone in a hotel. For anything that matters, it's encrypted in https so nobody can see sensitive information.

I have a free Comcast test account with 105 megabit down. At home, the SSID is "GeoffFreeWiFi". I tell my neighbors to feel free to use it and cancel their broadband data service. My laptop has a Symantec firewall. I'm not worried about getting hacked. I have security enabled in my Vermont place on that Comcast test account since it's a condo but I used MAC filtering for several years to keep renters out.

You can also use that web page to change the SSID and password to something easier and see if that works. I usually use something easy like 1234567890 as my password. If you're using the funky SSID and password on the label on the bottom of the router, there might be a problem entering it on an iPhone.

Funky_Catskills

Easy transition from iPhone 5 to my new 6...
Moved all the old backups to a different directory...
Took a brand new ios 8.0.2 backup on the old iPhone.. Then restored to iPhone 6.

I think the backups are incremental - so I just took a new one... Easy...

What I love about it is obviously the size but the speed is great..
Thumbprint thing is awesome... Pictures are great...

so far so good... Bringing it into NYC later for some meetings...

Glenn

I've had the 6 for about a week now. Great phone. I just took it on a business trip and it worked perfectly. The screen is a nice improvement over the 5.

BackLoafRiver

How many of you have used the gazelle route for getting rid of your old phone? I know Wa-loaf does. Is it a PITA? How quick are they with the cash?

wa-loaf

I've had the 6 for about a week now. Great phone. I just took it on a business trip and it worked perfectly. The screen is a nice improvement over the 5.

Mines been great. Only is it still won't connect to my cars bluetooth. Word is the iOS8.1 update will have the fix, but that's not coming until end of the month.

How many of you have used the gazelle route for getting rid of your old phone? I know Wa-loaf does. Is it a PITA? How quick are they with the cash?

Super easy. You go to Gazelle fill in the info and condition of your phone and they will give you a price. If you are happy with the price you accept and lock it in. They then send you a box right away. For an iPhone you need to turn off find my phone and unlock it from your carrier. I then reset it to factory settings and slid it into the box they sent and dropped it in the mail. Just got a notice yesterday (put in the mail on Friday) that they have it and it checks out so a check is on it's way to me.

You could get more cash selling on ebay or something, but this was way easier.