• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iphone 6 coming soon

deadheadskier

Staff member
Email functionality is awful compared to Android. When you work in sales and most of your clients prefer communication via email, this is a problem. It's a pain in the ass to have to open the laptop when you get emails that lock up. This happens every day. I have never once had this issue on an Android phone.

In addition, the phone doesn't hook up to wifi nearly is well and is just slower, clunkier in many ways.

wa-loaf

I know DHS put in a reply here, but the thread doesn't seem to want to update with it.

SkiFanE

I've got my iPhone 6 :)

Happy b/c I have a phone with wifi (my old phones wifi broke) - but not loving the size and slippery-ness of the new phone (had a 4S). I liked being able to swipe in one move with my thumb with my 4S. Haven't really played with it yet, but the camera is very nice. Call me butter-fingers...I hope this phone with survive.

Oh...so with my 4S 2.5 years ago I bought AppleCare - 2 yr protection for breakage, no questions asked (up to 2 events). Got one replacement for $40, great program. Then bought my kids 2 iPhone 5's over summer, and this program was no longer the same - only extended the Apple warranty until year 2, but not from breakage/stupidness, just defects. I even went to Apple store to confirm this, looked on-line. So bought them both the $10/mo ATT warranty. So when ordering my phone on-line through AT&T last week, they offered AppleCare+ for $99...check the link and it's exactly what I had before (2 events, but now $79 replacement)...so I got that. But...wtf? Was that not available again until the iPhone 6? Feel screwed because 2 years at $10/mo is so much more expensive.

And where are the new emojis? I thought IOS 8 had them?

wa-loaf

Email functionality is awful compared to Android. When you work in sales and most of your clients prefer communication via email, this is a problem. It's a pain in the ass to have to open the laptop when you get emails that lock up. This happens every day. I have never once had this issue on an Android phone.

In addition, the phone doesn't hook up to wifi nearly is well and is just slower, clunkier in many ways.

I think you have a bad phone. On my third iPhone and never had any of these problems. I do use the gmail app over the mail app, maybe you can get your email pulled into that? Or maybe it knows you are anti-apple and it's just f-ing with you ...

wa-loaf

I've got my iPhone 6 :)

Happy b/c I have a phone with wifi (my old phones wifi broke) - but not loving the size and slippery-ness of the new phone (had a 4S). I liked being able to swipe in one move with my thumb with my 4S. Haven't really played with it yet, but the camera is very nice. Call me butter-fingers...I hope this phone with survive.

You can double tap the home button and it will pull the apps (or menus in app) down within reach of your thumb. I do plan to get a case because it is slippery.

And where are the new emojis? I thought IOS 8 had them?

You should have an emoticon on the keyboard. Bottom left between the numbers button and the microphone button. Click it and it brings up a bunch of options.

SkiFanE

You can double tap the home button and it will pull the apps (or menus in app) down within reach of your thumb. I do plan to get a case because it is slippery.

You should have an emoticon on the keyboard. Bottom left between the numbers button and the microphone button. Click it and it brings up a bunch of options.

In double-tapped and it brings up apps to close, or get to...but that's all. Does that help the scrolling?

I have the emojis now..but I thought there were another 200 or something created that were being rolled out ?? I removed and readded the keyboard, no luck.

And the battery :thumbup: - was at 100% at 8am, and now at about 1:00pm it's at 87% - with old phone it'd be about 50-60% by now.

Well...the phone is slippery, and then the Speck case I bought for it is slippery. Have had 2 Speck cases in past, and they weren't so slick, and this one has a high spot in the middle that makes phone like a Top...can spin around and when typing on table it slides all over....kinda sucks after I loved my old Specks so much.

BackLoafRiver

Hey - quick question.

How many of you are using a case with your phone? I just got an otterbox defender (which I used on my 5) and loved everything about it. The new Defender is causing an issue with a touch responsiveness. (there is a distance between the screen protector and the physical screen)

I am a huge klutz and don't trust myself leaving it naked. I had thought about the silicone apple case with a Zagg but that doesn't seem overly protective.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think you have a bad phone. On my third iPhone and never had any of these problems. I do use the gmail app over the mail app, maybe you can get your email pulled into that? Or maybe it knows you are anti-apple and it's just f-ing with you ...

It's a work phone, so I'm not really suppose to screw around by adding apps to it.

The wifi is definitely not due to the phone being bad. According to what I've read, Apples are known to go cheap on the wifi receiver tech in their phones. Just the other week I was at work demo with six other employees in a conference room at a hospital. Not a single employee could get on wifi with their iPhones. My cheapo razor got right on with no problems.

I have fixed the wifi issue at home. Comcast routers apparently have numerous channels and the default channel is 2. They needed to switch the router to channel 11 for both my wife's iPhone4 and my iPhone5 to work.

So, yeah, I've worked around that major issue, but still think the phone and operating system is a piece a crap. ;)

wa-loaf

Hey - quick question.

How many of you are using a case with your phone? I just got an otterbox defender (which I used on my 5) and loved everything about it. The new Defender is causing an issue with a touch responsiveness. (there is a distance between the screen protector and the physical screen)

I am a huge klutz and don't trust myself leaving it naked. I had thought about the silicone apple case with a Zagg but that doesn't seem overly protective.

I don't have one. Will get something before I go skiing. I do like how light and slender it is so I've been resisting getting something right away.

gmcunni

i have otterbox defender on my 5s. the fear of having to pay full retail if i smash it makes the case a no-brainer to me..

Funky_Catskills

I don't have one. Will get something before I go skiing. I do like how light and slender it is so I've been resisting getting something right away.

I just put a case on the back and a screen protector on the front.. So far I've never broken or destroyed a phone.
I dig the slender feel too.. And when I'm at customer meetings in NYC those big cases look dorky.. :)

When I ride I put it I a plastic bag..

SkiFanE

I use Speck cases. Love them. Nothing on the screen tho. I'm a clutz. I did smash a screen in my speck, it fell to floor from about 4' and landed perfectly perpendicular to floor, hard - and screen cracked. I have AppleCare, so a replacement cost me just $40. With my 6 it will be $79 replacement. but it handles all other kinds of drops fine.

Funky_Catskills

Apple Care is great!
I was in Korea working and a CD got jammed in my MacBook - took it to an Apple store in Seoul and they fixed it on the spot...
So cool...

But really - get a screen protector.. Will save you hassle of a broken one..

wa-loaf

So, yeah, I've worked around that major issue, but still think the phone and operating system is a piece a crap. ;)

I don't think I can ski with you anymore. ;-)

I just put a case on the back and a screen protector on the front.. So far I've never broken or destroyed a phone.
I dig the slender feel too.. And when I'm at customer meetings in NYC those big cases look dorky.. :)

When I ride I put it I a plastic bag..

What do you have for a case?