• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To BC or not to BC?

Do you ski Backcountry?

• Used to, but not anymore

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

skiNEwhere

I've slowly started getting into the backcountry the last few seasons, took AIARE I last season, and tagged along with skiers that have a lot more experience than I do, but overall I'd say I do about 80-90% of my skiing at the resorts.

Would like to take AIARE II this season so that I can get out a little more.

skiNEwhere

Thanks!

(Guessing you're posting from a phone and don't see there is an attached poll asking a question)

dlague

I have been wanting to but gearing up for it is like buying a bunch of new gear and I cannot justify the cost at this time. I know some people who use lift served resorts, park a car else where then go off the backside.

jimk

Hard to get into BC living in Virginia. It can be done in WV, but we have enough trouble keeping open lift served ski areas around here with tons of snowmaking infrastructure. I know how to cross-country ski at intermediate level and could probably quickly adapt to AT if I got that gear. But not worth it unless I lived near good BC with plenty of snowpack. Also, correct me if wrong, but if you're a stupid newbie BC in the Rockies has a lot more serious consequences than BC in New England.
jim cross country.jpg

MadMadWorld

The cost has gotten a lot better. You can get boots that will be suitable for most EC backcountry as well as traditional alpine. Bindings are becoming more affordable and some manufacturers are figuring out ways to offer a hybrid setup. Best thing to do is borrow snowshoes and do some exploring. You will figure pretty quickly if you like it or not. It's definitely not for everyone. It's a lot of work for just one run. Give it a try and if you like it then shop around for gear swaps.

Terry

I have done some sidecountry skiing at our local Mt and have skinned up when not open or early mornings, but have not done any actual backcountry yet. Maybe this year I will give it a try if we get good snow cover.