• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are Ski Movies worth the fare?

How Many Ski Movies Premeirs do you go to?

• 3 or More - Get as much stoke as possible?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dlague

We typically catch two ski movies per season and have done so primarily for the comps that are available! However the comps appear to be fading. I found myself getting bored with recent films because it just seems like more of the same lately. Curious about others POV!

BenedictGomez

The comps were so good at the Warren Miller movie last year, that I bought tickets for BOTH showings.

<---- SOTC Level = Advanced

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think it depends upon your expectations. Are you going to a ski movie WITH the benefit of swag and comps? Or are you going for the swag and comps with a ski movie? I know lots are the latter but won't admit it.

Based on my budget, I'm probably going to watch the (tons) of videos I have at home and that I love. Blizzard of Aahh's being one.

reefer

I hit the Warren Miller movie in Worcester. Been giving out free late season Wachusett and free weekday Sugarbush tickets. I use both every year. If either dry up I would not go. Movies are ok. I kinda liked wintervention a few years ago because of Mosely's narration mostly.

Smellytele

Last year I went to a Warren Miller that was a charity event for Kristin's gift. It was okay but I ended up only using half of the deals. used the Sugarbush ones but didn't use any of the five 2fer's for Wildcat/Attitrash or Gunstock.

Smellytele

Also went to the Shane McConkey movie that came with free Cannon tickets. I enjoyed that movie more than the WM movie. It had a meaning to it and was more than just about skiing where WM movies never do.

gmcunni

i picked zero but not because i feel "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They are a waste of time or always the same?"

i just never get to them. too far away or bad timing or whatever.
[/FONT]

Savemeasammy

Paying admission for the WM movie for a Sugarbush ticket was worth it. Watching the movie... Not so much. This year I may go and get my lift ticket voucher and leave...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd

I certainly prefer going to a ski movie at The Music Hall in Portsmouth to going to the ski expo in Boston. Better convenience and better chance of decent comps. Even the bother of that is wearing on me, though. Last year was the first time I haven't gone in a long time. A good part of that has to do with the way The Music Hall manages their events but I could complain about that all day.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So it sounds like folks mainly "buy the vouchers" instead of "buying a ticket to see a movie" and getting the bonus items.

ScottySkis

I would go to the movie for the free tickets if their good offering this year. I would see how the movie is and maybe watch or maybe leave. I do not think they have movies showing close to me in the Mid Hudson Valley NY.

BenedictGomez

So it sounds like folks mainly "buy the vouchers" instead of "buying a ticket to see a movie" and getting the bonus items.

I enjoy the WM too though. It's like a kickoff celebration to get amped for the ski season. Though the movies were a LOT better when WM actually was involved with the production, and havent been the same since he sold it. It used to be 100% about skiing, now they inject politics into it etc.. = Yuck.
But I first started going when I lived in Burlington at the Flynn Theater, and it was always a big party. It's similar in Manhattan. A good time, and everyone's happy with anticipation.

HowieT2

I like to go for the stoke. Been taking the kids since they were little but frankly the movies have gotten stale. Especially the warren miller ones. No interest in seeing the urban scenes and the soundtracks in general are uninspired.

HowieT2

Am I reading the schedule correctly? Is there no NYC show this year?

Interesting....

The NYC warren miller show is put on by a different company or something than the rest of the tour and so it's often not listed in the tour schedules. It's always at the place on 95th street, which I think is called symphony space. Usually the Sunday before thanksgiving.

just checked. It's on the supplemental list. 11/15 time tbd.

BenedictGomez

I like to go for the stoke. Been taking the kids since they were little but frankly the movies have gotten stale. Especially the warren miller ones. No interest in seeing the urban scenes and the soundtracks in general are uninspired.

Agree to some extent. As I said before, the quality of the WM movies dropped drastically since the Miller family sold the company (something like 8 or 10 years ago). They went from being fun, family, all about skiing and loving life to "stoked brah", preachy, and far more "manufactured" if that makes sense. I do think maybe they've listened to some criticism though, as the one last year was better IMO.