• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

6/26/2004 - Hiking - Franconia Loop

Greg

Staff member
I'll be up in New Hampshire for the FOT48 planning meeting on the 6/26-6/27 weekend. I'm hoping to get a hike in Saturday. I plan to leave Connecticut between 4 and 5 AM so I should be at the trailhead around 9 AM. Route will be Falling Waters/Franconia Ridge/Old Bridle Path (or reverse). Distance is about 9 miles; moderately rugged; a lot of above treeline exposure. I'd consider myself a moderate to fast-paced hiker, but being my first big hike I'll probably be sucking some air. I also don't mind hiking with slower-paced hikers. Anyone else up for it?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
As long as it doesn't interfere with the planning, I am.

Of course, this may supercede the hike the following day on the Hancocks... but I'm looking to start multi-day hikes, so this will be a test by fire.

_Stephen

SilentCal

Can I be a definite maybe? Like Stephen, I want to do the Hancocks on Sunday with the group we have. I also don't want to miss any of the meeting either. I usually carry a good pace and really don't mind which way we go, (personally I like going up the Falling Waters). I'll let you know for sure in the coming weeks.

Greg

Staff member
Maybe's are definitely welcome. I suspect to be at Hancock CG by 4:30 or 5 PM. I don't know of a set FOT48 meeting schedule yet, but assumed it was going to be a dinner/campfire discussion...

coberg

Website
www.hike-nh.com
Greg said:
... I plan to leave Connecticut between 4 and 5 AM so I should be at the trailhead around 9 AM ...

You, my friend, are either extremely dedicated or completely out of your mind!

:lol:

Greg

Staff member
coberg said:
Greg said:
... I plan to leave Connecticut between 4 and 5 AM so I should be at the trailhead around 9 AM ...

Dedicated, I suppose. Back in the day when my brother and I started hiking in the Whites, we typically left at 4 AM to get an early start for backpacking trips. We even left at midnight a few times to go to the ADKs. I'm up around 6 AM every day (7 AM on weekends) anyway, so an hour or two earlier is nothing. Early morning is the best time of day!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
probably won't be in on this hike, but instead of leaving at 4am perhaps a car camp at a WMNF campground the night before would be easier? this is my preferred method when planning long hikes that i need an early start on. also is nice to bag a small peak for a sunset the night before :) enjoy franconia ridge loop, it's a classic i'm trying to return to every other year or so.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
enjoy franconia ridge loop, it's a classic i'm trying to return to every other year or so.
Thanks Steve. I've done it once before, but it's been almost 5 years. Definitely time to do it again. It'd be great if you could join us!

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
coberg said:
Greg said:

:lol:

Some of us are out of our mind every day. I work for an asphalt company and get up almost every morning at 4:30. There we a handful of mornings last year where I was up and on the road by 2:30 am. The only bright side to this is zero traffic headaches. Just watch out for moose and deer (almost tagged 2 of each last summer).

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Please, count me in. I was up there last year, but due to low clouds and high fog I couldn't see anything. I need to go back and see the views.

Edit: :( Darn family reunion. :( Count me out.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
There's no way I can do that loop in under 8 hours, so I'm going to pass. I'll go up and grab Webster-Jackson that morning then come back to the Fot48 meeting site. More beer for me that way.
:beer:

Charlie Schuessler

Franconia Notch Walk

I’d like to meet you, however we have an equestrian show that weekend in addition to it being my wife’s anniversary…

I truly enjoy that loop. And when the weather (sunshine & wind) is agreeable, watching the gliders loft over the Notch is rather relaxing.

Have fun! :D