• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Infinite Indoor Ski Slopes

VTKilarney

I think the only thing that is new is the surface. However good the surface has become, it looks insanely boring to me.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think the only thing that is new is the surface. However good the surface has become, it looks insanely boring to me.

That's what I was thinking too. It might be good for very new skiers but it's basically and endless, perfect pitch green trail.

I wonder if you can ramp it up or down for slope. Or add some bumps that come around the treadmill to make it like an infinite mogul run :)

SkiingInABlueDream

I think it's a cool concept. You have moderate your turns so that you don't go too fast or slow and slide down the bottom or get pushed up the top. Pitch variation would add another dimension to it.

Maybe Im just an engineering geek.

I wouldn't drive to NYC just to do it. I'd never choose it over a day of actual skiing. But if there was one set up at an expo or something and they were letting people on it Id give it a go.

WoodCore

Is it fun? Probably not but a great tool for working on body position and technique. Would be great to have one out on the ski hill when I'm working with my students. The ability to have them work on and perfect a specific element on the machine while receiving direct feedback on every turn and then immediately transfer it over to the real snow would be very beneficial.

jack97

I rather do this....

Not the air tricks but the mogul section.

JimG.

Staff member
Is it fun? Probably not but a great tool for working on body position and technique. Would be great to have one out on the ski hill when I'm working with my students. The ability to have them work on and perfect a specific element on the machine while receiving direct feedback on every turn and then immediately transfer it over to the real snow would be very beneficial.

I was going to say it's an awesome training tool for down in my basement. Not sure I would travel to do that or the wet slope stuff though.

deadheadskier

Staff member

What might also be cool is to use it to test ski boots. The challenge in buying new boots is that unlike skis, you really can't demo boots. If you had a machine like this indoors, someone could take a few minutes to see how a new set of boots feel while "skiing" without the damage that would happen if you took them out on the hill. I'm sure you could add protective tape to the areas of the boots that might get scuffed up allowing a shop to put the boots back on the shelf and still sell them as new.

skiNEwhere

What might also be cool is to use it to test ski boots. The challenge in buying new boots is that unlike skis, you really can't demo boots. If you had a machine like this indoors, someone could take a few minutes to see how a new set of boots feel while "skiing" without the damage that would happen if you took them out on the hill. I'm sure you could add protective tape to the areas of the boots that might get scuffed up allowing a shop to put the boots back on the shelf and still sell them as new.

That's actually a great idea. I bought new boots last season and had to come back 9 times before they fit right, they felt fine in the shop but hurt like hell on the slopes. If I had a ski shop I'd try to invest in one of those for clients to try out their boots. You may be on to something.....

dlague

here is one in Toronto and they have been around for year in the UK and Switzerland as well as a other places in Europe. Not sure what to think of it til I would try it.

trackbiker

Those things have been around since the 70's. I know because I saw one in a mall that I haven't been in since I was a teenager.
Although I'm sure the surface has been improved.