• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Largest resort in the East?

skiNEwhere

HS ripping it up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

What skis are those?

Savemeasammy

^ OK guys... That's enough. This love fest is starting to get a little creepy...! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

'05-'06 Head Monster

There was a girl I went to college with and that was her nickname (unbeknownst to her).

I had the same ski. They were a great ski until they ruined the line by switching to the Peak series. The double metal made them very stable at speed.

Maybe I'm wrong in my perception, but have you owned/rented/demo'd a ton of different skis?

BenedictGomez

You can take the Long Trail very easily from Mt. Ellen to MRG.

Easily; wouldn't that be a few miles on relatively flat terrain?

The thing about Stowe/Smuggs is you can ski to either one back and forth in just a few minutes. I used to do it all the time.

MadMadWorld

Easily; wouldn't that be a few miles on relatively flat terrain?

The thing about Stowe/Smuggs is you can ski to either one back and forth in just a few minutes. I used to do it all the time.

It follows along the ridge so sometimes your climbing and other times it's downhill. The trail between Smuggs and Stowe is better but it's definitely not 2 miles. You absolutely need an AT setup though. I like it because once you get far enough you can just jump into the woods and follow the tracks back to MRG

Puck it

There was a girl I went to college with and that was her nickname (unbeknownst to her).

Maybe I'm wrong in my perception, but have you owned/rented/demo'd a ton of different skis?

Gear whore. I have 8 pair left that are skiable. I sold a few racing skis in the last two years. At one point, I had 11 pair of just my own.

MadMadWorld

It's about 1.8 miles from Starks Nest to the top of Mt Ellen and it's not an easy trek.

Lol okay I guess it's longer than I thought. I've done it from Ellen to MRG but it's been awhile. I did go all the way to the top of Antelope. I just dropped into the area beyond 20th and just worked my way back towards the base.

benski

It's about 1.8 miles from Starks Nest to the top of Mt Ellen and it's not an easy trek.

someone who knows were they are going could probably find a nice tree line in somewhere in the middle. Having never tried this I don't for a fact but i have seen tracks coming out of the woods above inverness and the traverse over there.

WWF-VT

someone who knows were they are going could probably find a nice tree line in somewhere in the middle. Having never tried this I don't for a fact but i have seen tracks coming out of the woods above inverness and the traverse over there.

The LT is not very well blazed through this section and going south from the Mt Ellen summit for a long stretch it runs about 50-100' below the ridgecrest on the west side. If you don't know what you are doing it's a good way to get lost in the deep snow in the winter. There is a fairly well known trail that drops to the west about mid way between Mt Ellen and Starks Nest at MRG....

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

The LT is not very well blazed through this section and going south from the Mt Ellen fsummit for a long stretch it runs about 50-100' below the ridgecrest on the east side. If you don't know what you are doing it's a good way to get lost in the deep snow in the winter. There is a fairly well known trail that drops to the east about mid way between Mt Ellen and Starks Nest at MRG....

Yea I will second that. It's a very easy place to get lost and would not recommend anyone to just "follow tracks" if you don't know where your going. There is much better gnar after you get passed Starks Nest.

jimk

Don't need MRG. Just put Lincoln, Slidebrook & Ellen together & it blows them all away. Don't even need to cross country for aggress or egress.
I think I would agree with this, especially if I knew more about the potential of Slidebrook. Never been to Sugarbush with someone who knew how to tap into that area. Not asking for specifics over the internet, but are there some good long lines in Slidebrook that can currently be accessed without too much walking in and out??

mrvpilgrim

The easiest top access is only about 20 yards from the North Link chair offload
The last couple of hundred yards is a skate out but no walking required.
Many routes can be taken though the slide brook most have continuous slope
The exit point is on German Flats Road it requires picking up the shuttle bus that runs between the Mount Ellen and Lincoln peak Bases