• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Largest resort in the East?

Highway Star

Wow. Not to single anybody out, but there are MANY idiots in this thread.

- Killington is currently claiming all of it's woods to be skiable, for a total of over 1500 acres, hence the claim of the largest in the east.

- Nobody skis at Sugarloaf.

- Killington's Skyeship Gondola is actually the tallest lift in the east, at 2,522 vertical feet, and also the longest at 12,953 (over 2-1/2 miles). Its one of the longest and tallest in the country. Yes, it's two separate sections, but you ride the same cabin all the way up. Takes about 15 minutes to ride. Yes, you can lap it, thousands of people do every weekend.

- Killington has 3,050 ft of CONTINUOUS VERTICAL. Try skiing it with a group of people, as fast as possible tucking the whole way, then come back and tell me its "boring".

- Killington's K-1 Gondola is the highest lift in Vermont, at around 4,150 feet.

- Killington has 3 lifts around 1,500 ft of vert. K-1 Gondola, Skye Peak Quad, Skyeship Stage 2. Summit Quad at Pico is also around 1,500 ft. Most other lifts are around 1,200 ft of vert, most of which serve sustained intermediate to expert pitches.

- Killington is built on a ridge, the terrain is typically spread out in various trail pods of around 800 to 1500 feet of vert.

- Juggernaut is no longer 10 miles long, and should only be skied on a icy, sunny day of moderate temperature and low wind, with a few friends and a backpack full of tasty beverages. Take ski poles from group, strap to backpack, hand out beverages, ski leisurely and enjoy the forest.

- The flattest trail at Killington is not Juggernaut. Its actually Carpenters run. Dead flat in some places with no in run. If you begin the trail from a dead stop, skating is mandatory at some point even in the fastest icy conditions.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

No one thinks of Killington as having 3,000 ft of vertical. What is there 1 or 2 route options and all of them involve a lot of work.

deadheadskier

Staff member
- Nobody skis at Sugarloaf.

- Killington's Skyeship Gondola is actually the tallest lift in the east, at 2,522 vertical feet, and also the longest at 12,953 (over 2-1/2 miles). Its one of the longest and tallest in the country. Yes, it's two separate sections, but you ride the same cabin all the way up. Takes about 15 minutes to ride. Yes, you can lap it, thousands of people do every weekend.

nobody skis Sugarloaf, but thousands of people lap the boring Skyeship gnar every weekend?

um, who's the idiot?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
"Killington; 3050 feet of Continuous Vertical (please don't ask us to explain how)"

It's easy! Just take Juggernaut from the peak and cross-country your way to the bottom of Bear. Then, hike across the parking lot to the abandoned trail next to the road. Be sure to take in the serenity of the woods as you ski next to speeding cars. Then merge onto the shitshow of Great Eastern. Experts can take Valley Plunge... if its open (which it won't be). Return back to the K-1 base by riding in a hot, sweaty gondola car that smells like cigarettes. From the top of the Skyeship find your way to Skylark (which might take awhile). Proceed down the ice of Skyelark as you and hundreds of your gaper friends travel down one of our few intermediate cruisers. At the bottom, skate past the K-1 lodge without getting hit, and you'll find the K-1 gondola...as well as the hundreds of others waiting to get on.

Edd

Thank you everyone. I just laughed for a few minutes straight. Especially HS! You are ridiculous in all the right ways, my friend.

skiNEwhere

If you need to use your poles to push yourself to get to the bottom, it doesn't count. I love Killington, but their vert is misleading.

ScottySkis

If you're ever at K during the week let me know. I'd love to make some turns with you. I'd even have a relatively inexpensive ($36) place for you to stay nearby so you don't have to sleep in the car. I know you're working now so weekdays are probably tough but that's the only time I'm around.

For sure I will. I might go their thanks giving T day not sure yet.

Highway Star

Hey, I just found this video of the last Alpinezone trip to Killington! Looks pretty good to me!

rtjcbrown

If you like that, you might want to try Belt Parkway at Hunter Mtn on a Saturday.

Highway Star

It's easy! Just take Juggernaut from the peak and cross-country your way to the bottom of Bear. Then, hike across the parking lot to the abandoned trail next to the road. Be sure to take in the serenity of the woods as you ski next to speeding cars. Then merge onto the shitshow of Great Eastern. Experts can take Valley Plunge... if its open (which it won't be). Return back to the K-1 base by riding in a hot, sweaty gondola car that smells like cigarettes. From the top of the Skyeship find your way to Skylark (which might take awhile). Proceed down the ice of Skyelark as you and hundreds of your gaper friends travel down one of our few intermediate cruisers. At the bottom, skate past the K-1 lodge without getting hit, and you'll find the K-1 gondola...as well as the hundreds of others waiting to get on.

Hey I found this video of you slaying the heck out of Juggernaut! Look sick!!