• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that need replacement

skiNEwhere

I'd be fine with a conveyor belt solution for the Triple to bring the ride time down by a few minutes. Apparently the lift can run at a faster line speed according to the answers from an AZ challenge now 10 years ago. http://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/ch...allenge-2004-sven-cole-of-attitash-bear-peak/ Conveyor technology didn't really exist back then. Also note they said back then they had long term plans of upgrading to high speed quad when they could add more trails from the top. That would be the big money plan but there's some terrain up there that's compelling if they ever went for the big dollar solution.

Seems to me they could implement the conveyor system to the triple, plus a shorter top notch double and resolve a lot of the upper mountain access issues at Attitash for fairly short money in comparison to a base to summit HSQ.

Has there been any attempt to get attitash for another AZ challenge? Skied attitash many times and IMO that's their biggest Achilles heel to getting more visits.

I'd like to see if they have even considered a conveyer, since they don't plan on adding a new lift.

Didn't know the lift was capable of HSQ speeds, that would sure be interesting to watch if they cranked it up that high!

WWF-VT

valley house double and village double are on the docket to be replaced. I believe with a quad and a triple respectively. Expect both to happen within the next year or 2.
Don't think heavens gate needs to be replaced but we'll see how the refurbishment they did this summer works out. Sunny d is no big deal either way as it only serves the terrain park at mt Ellen.

The Sunny D is getting significant maintenance work done this summer. Even though its primary use is for the terrain park it is one of the busiest lifts at Sugarbush.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the biggest Achilles heel for getting more skier visits at Attitash (Black, Wildcat and Cranmore too) is the location. As great as the North Conway area is as a ski town, route 16 sucks. It's much easier for metro Boston folks to head up 93 and 89 to get to ski destinations in those directions than it is to head up 95 to 16. It's a little better now that the road has been expanded through Rochester, but IMO the road really should be expanded to four lanes all the way up to Center Ossippee to make an appreciably better travel experience.

MadMadWorld

I think a HSQ is completely necessary over on Bear Peak. It's a 1450 terrain pod with the best long blue square terrain at the ski area. Terrain for the average skier that really isn't available on Attitash proper except for Northwest Passage. I'm kind of surprised they haven't upgraded the snowmaking on Avenger on Bear. That's a huge acreage trail that could absorb a bunch of the crowds, but it's late to open due the old school guns on it.

A lot of people think the Flying Yankee is a bad lift. I disagree. It provides a high capacity lift out of the main lodge. It really can't realistically go higher up the mountain than where it goes. That's the challenge with Attitash proper. It's so steep in the middle, so there's no really good place for a lift to stop higher up than where the Yankee goes. Where that lift stops it provides access to low intermediate terrain (something unavailable anywhere further up the hill) access to actually popular lower mountain terrain in Spillway, Whitehorse, the terrain park, Moat, Grandstand....as well as access to both slopeside real estate locations on the hill.

I think my opinion of Attitash probably prevents me from having any rational feelings on the matter but I still think the HSQ would be better suited for Attitash proper. Bear Peak at least in my opinion sees far less traffic. My family has a time share across the street and I remember quite a few Christmas vacations where BP was either not open at all or had just one trail open. They don't seem to have any interest in blowing snow on Avenger either which is always a very popular trail when it's open. You are right about the intermediate stuff on BP. Illusion is definitely one of my favorite intermediate trails in NE. I kind of disagree with you though regarding the Flying Yankee. If I remember correctly I would always avoid that lift as a kid because it was a pain in the ass to get all the way over to Spillway and White Horse. When Grandstand is bumped up nicely though it is my favorite lift! The big problem with having a HSQ on Attitash proper would be the crosswind. It would make more sense to replace the Top Notch IMO.

HowieT2

As long as they don't widen the crap out of the Mall it will be a huge improvement. I'm nervous about what happens with that trail. One of my favorites on the mountain. And truthfully, that rickety old lift kind of plays a part in the charm on the Mall. I recognize the need for an upgrade, but I'll miss the old school feel of the way it is today. Guess I better get my ass back there this season before the change happens.

ou8gia.jpg

The trail will remain as is except for the top where they will have to remove trees to accommodate the positioning of the top terminal. That will be at the top of mall instead of above the traverse where it is now. Obviously the old terminal will be removed and they are widening the traverse there to the top of snowball. frankly, the current set up is dangerous with the traffic on the traverse funneling into a choke point where lift discharges at the confluence of Steins, the mall and snowball.

while there may be some nostalgic appeal to the old setup, the new quad will be safer, improve traffic flow on the traverse and markedly increase uphill capacity such that it will relieve pressure on super bravo and provide a viable alternative when the latter is not running for whatever reason.

HowieT2

The Sunny D is getting significant maintenance work done this summer. Even though its primary use is for the terrain park it is one of the busiest lifts at Sugarbush.

i can count on one hand the number of times ive been on that lift.

HowieT2

The trail will remain as is except for the top where they will have to remove trees to accommodate the positioning of the top terminal. That will be at the top of mall instead of above the traverse where it is now. Obviously the old terminal will be removed and they are widening the traverse there to the top of snowball. frankly, the current set up is dangerous with the traffic on the traverse funneling into a choke point where lift discharges at the confluence of Steins, the mall and snowball.

while there may be some nostalgic appeal to the old setup, the new quad will be safer, improve traffic flow on the traverse and markedly increase uphill capacity such that it will relieve pressure on super bravo and provide a viable alternative when the latter is not running for whatever reason.

here's a link to the documents and maps filed with the usfs for the lift replacement.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...?project=43454

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Attitash. I think that the lift placement is at least in part due to where the property boundary with the WMNF lies. I know that the summit is on WMNF land and that is part of the reason why Peaks has not done anything up there because any change would require a lengthy and expensive review process. If I had to guess, in addition to the steep terrain, Flying Yankee terminated where it did because it was below the WMNF boundary. It would be interesting to see a map showing where the boundary lies.

Re: Sugarbush. Lifts do have a life expectancy. Middlebury just faced this fact with the Worth Mountain Double. That lift was a 1960's vintage Poma-Heron that had seen some upgrade work done by CTEC in the 1980's or 1990's. Despite that work, the fact remained that the concrete footings on some of the towers had deteriorated. Sunny D, Village, and Valley House are all about the same age. So I imagine that they will eventually have to be replaced. As we know 2 out of 3 are slated to be replaced. I would imagine that Sunny D is not far behind. It's doing the job, but it is pretty old. As to HG, I agree that the issue is mainly the drive, etc. But it has a tendency to go on "wind hold" fairly often. Ripcord is pretty damn wide so lower the towers may not resolve that issue.

skiNEwhere

Re: Attitash. I think that the lift placement is at least in part due to where the property boundary with the WMNF lies. I know that the summit is on WMNF land and that is part of the reason why Peaks has not done anything up there because any change would require a lengthy and expensive review process. If I had to guess, in addition to the steep terrain, Flying Yankee terminated where it did because it was below the WMNF boundary. It would be interesting to see a map showing where the boundary lies.

I think that's a red herring, and attitash is using that as a BS excuse. If they wanted to replace that lift, they'd pull the proper permits and execute the paperwork to make it happen. I don't buy it for a second.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that's a red herring, and attitash is using that as a BS excuse. If they wanted to replace that lift, they'd pull the proper permits and execute the paperwork to make it happen. I don't buy it for a second.

True. Considering that the triple is going to be 30 soon they may not have a choice.

machski

Considering the Sunday River lifts posed here, Spruce is upgraded this season with a carpet load and more speed. As for Tempest, yes I'd like to see something done with that too, I have heard it may get a carpet loader as well (doubt they would add a detach there though). Locke will likely never be replaced until it absolutely has to due to its status mid season as a peak/event day lift now (though something better to quelle the early season mid-download lines would be nice). The Barker express is on the 5+ year horizon and I have heard a 6 pack replace talked about. Aurora would be nice to see a carpet too.

As for Attitash, I have heard several times that Flying Yankee was done as is due to forest service land up higher. Still, given peaks gave Crotched a HSQ and the Bluebird at Mt. Snow, very surprising they haven't done anything with summit triple (they may have to rethink that with Ragged and Sunapee's lift replacements this summer. They are falling behind in the state quickly now).

Not mentioned yet which is surprising: King Pine replacement/lower extension at Sugarloaf
Summit Surface lift at Sugarloaf (To supplement Timberline quad)

Domeskier

Not mentioned yet which is surprising: King Pine replacement/lower extension at Sugarloaf Summit Surface lift at Sugarloaf (To supplement Timberline quad)

This reminds me - the east coast needs more surface lists servicing decent terrain.

deadheadskier

Staff member

The Flying Yankee terminates where it does because of topography, the lower mountain trail layout and because it services the Alpine Slide in the summer. It was a replacement for a lower mountain double chair that existed prior to it. They had USFS approval for expansion above the current Attitash Summit in the 90s. That permitting was in place prior to the Yankee install. So, I highly doubt permitting is the reason it ends where it does. It ends there because that's what makes sense for a lift to the mid-mountain area for both the skiing trails and the Alpine Slide.

bobbutts

The top 2 lifts I'd list for this thread are currently being replaced :) Sun Bowl and Spear
I'll nominate Hurricane triple at Pat's Peak.

BenedictGomez

Lifts do have a life expectancy. Middlebury just faced this fact with the Worth Mountain Double. That lift was a 1960's vintage Poma-Heron that had seen some upgrade work done by CTEC in the 1980's or 1990's.

1963 - Madonna I Double - Smuggs
1964 - Sterling Double - Smuggs
Late 60s - Village Double - Smuggs
Madonna II cant be a spring chicken either.

deadheadskier

Staff member
1963 - Madonna I Double - Smuggs
1964 - Sterling Double - Smuggs
Late 60s - Village Double - Smuggs
Madonna II cant be a spring chicken either.

At this point, it would appear it's going to take the death of one of these lifts before Smuggs every puts in a new chair.

skiNEwhere

Smugglers notch is consistently ranked high in ski resort polls. Why would they feel the need to change anything?