• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that need replacement

jimk

Mittersill
Correct, from a fun visit I made to Cannon in 2010. Don't believe it's where they put in that new chair about a year later. This line is closer to the Cannon beginner area.

Here's another candidate although it would be kind of a travesty to mess with fabulous old school aura:
platter pull.jpg

Here's a classic mid-Atlantic chair that could stand to be replaced, it crapped out recently and was refurbished, but just enough to keep moving:=)
steelers.jpg

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Skiers are lemmings for High Speed lifts. Look at Stowe. The Forerunner line can be 20 minutes and there's barely a five minute line on the Lookout Double.

This has always fascinated me. Whiteface is another great example. Long lines at the Gondola, with small lines at another lift that unloads literally right next to the Gondola.

bobbutts

This has always fascinated me. Whiteface is another great example. Long lines at the Gondola, with small lines at another lift that unloads literally right next to the Gondola.
When I used to ski Waterville and someone I was with wanted to go on the world cup triple, I'd ride the quad (assuming the line was under a few minutes) and after some fast skiing, would be waiting for them when they finally unloaded. Of course if the line for the HS lift is really long you get a better deal with the alternate, but people do tend to underestimate the difference in speed.

yeggous

There is nothing wrong with the Tomcat chair at Wildcat. It serves as their backup lift in case of wind holds, holiday crowds, or pathetic snowmaking. As a result it got a lot of action last year.

Attitash saw some record days last year since Wildcat was effectively out of action, though they were disproportionately refugee passholders. In a big change from last year, the lift lines at the Bear Peak HSQ were out of control. On multiple occasions I fled Bear Peak for Attitash proper due to the crowds. I timed my runs and found it was about break even in time whether I rode the summit triple or Bear HSQ. Yes, the summit triple can run faster but they slow it down due to "misloading" problems with rookies. No, Peak Resorts has no plans to replace the lift. They don't see the ROI, especially after the Mt Snow Bluebird.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

In a big change from last year, the lift lines at the Bear Peak HSQ were out of control. On multiple occasions I fled Bear Peak for Attitash proper due to the crowds.
Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

That is a big change. I've always found Attitash more crowded. Love parking at Bear.

yeggous

That is a big change. I've always found Attitash more crowded. Love parking at Bear.

They made some changes specifically designed to move the crowds over the Bear. Chief among them was moving the terrain park to draw over the families. I have changed my Attitash strategy. I start at Bear first thing in the morning. Around 10am the lines become Vermont-like so I move over to Attitash and grind out some runs on the triple. I'll head back to Bear around 2pm.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Puck it

That is the old Mittersill chair liftline before they widened it for the new lift. It is about halfway down. This is the section that gets scrpaed off quickly now.

attachment.php

jimk

That is the old Mittersill chair liftline before they widened it for the new lift. It is about halfway down. This is the section that gets scrpaed off quickly now.

attachment.php

Oops. Thanks for the correct ID.

skiNEwhere

This is a Northeast ski forum. Not many people that likely care about Big Squaw active here.

More than you'd think. I've seen a few people that live in Maine talk about big squaw occasionally

canobie#1

Killington:
South Ridge Triple (first priority)
Snowdon Quad

Smugglers:
Everything

Bolton Valley:
Visa quad (atleast make it a carpet lift and boost the speed)
Timberline
Wilderness double

Attitash:
Summit Triple (have no desire to go back until they do some big improvements)

Stratton:
Kidderbrook
Snow Bowl

Sugarbush:
Heaven's Gate
New chairs on the two high speeds on ellen
Summit quad replacement

Yawgoo Valley:
New carpet lift
Connan Double replacement

Whaleback:
New lift

Mount Snow:
Sunbrook quad

thetrailboss

Staff member
Killington:
South Ridge Triple (first priority)
Snowdon Quad

Smugglers:
Everything

Bolton Valley:
Visa quad (atleast make it a carpet lift and boost the speed)
Timberline
Wilderness double

Attitash:
Summit Triple (have no desire to go back until they do some big improvements)

Stratton:
Kidderbrook
Snow Bowl

Sugarbush:
Heaven's Gate
New chairs on the two high speeds on ellen
Summit quad replacement

Yawgoo Valley:
New carpet lift
Connan Double replacement

Whaleback:
New lift

Mount Snow:
Sunbrook quad

What's wrong with the GMX at Sugarbush? Summit?