• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that need replacement

machski

I don't think that trail pod could handle the capacity a bottom to top lift would supply. Sugarbush supposedly did major upgrades to the lift this year in hopes of fixing the issues. If the upgrades work, a bit more speed with a carpet load would be nice (and you can hold capacity as is by removing a few chairs)
I'd like to see a top to bottom lift up organ grinder.I think they had that at one time.

EPB

I like the quad the way it is, though they should consider lowering capacity on it early season at the least. I doubt that the lift could unload passengers on the gondola if the lift we're to run at full speed, but I could be wrong.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sugarloaf beyond the king pine chair (I think the hsq/extension would be nice). I'd like to see the double runner chairs replaced with at least a conveyor loading fixed quad (with a mid station making use of the longer lift line). Also, I'd like to see a redone timeline quad that either stays at Bullwinkle's or extends down the same line below Bullwinkle's to provide a better upper mountain lapping experience.

ceo

Sugarloaf has made noises about replacing KP with a longer high-speed quad and moving the existing lift to replace Double Runner. I'd like it if they added a loading carpet so they can speed the thing up a bit; DR is a slow enough ride as it is and I'm pretty sure KP is slower.

Skimaine

Certainly the double runner chairs at Sugarloaf need to be replaced with something more beginner friendly. I like the carpet loaded fixed grip. King Pine would benefit from a new lift. longer to pick-up more folks from Bracket Basin and re aligned to give it more shelter from the wind. Something faster and more wind tolerant to the summit replacing Timberline would be great. Even better as noted above if they could move the loading down to Bullwinkle's. Not holding my breath on this upgrade. The KP and double runner upgrade is at least in the realm of possibilities.

jimk

I like the quad the way it is, though they should consider lowering capacity on it early season at the least. I doubt that the lift could unload passengers on the gondola if the lift we're to run at full speed, but I could be wrong.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sugarloaf beyond the king pine chair (I think the hsq/extension would be nice). I'd like to see the double runner chairs replaced with at least a conveyor loading fixed quad (with a mid station making use of the longer lift line). Also, I'd like to see a redone timeline quad that either stays at Bullwinkle's or extends down the same line below Bullwinkle's to provide a better upper mountain lapping experience.

I got stuck on the King Pine chair last March on a single digit day. I had already felt a touch of frostbite on my cheek earlier in the day and was in no mood to get stuck for long on a chair. I immediately started thinking and vocalizing about jumping off the chair because it was at a point pretty close to the ground, but it kept stopping and starting and got us to the top after only about a 10-15 minute delay. :spread:

BenedictGomez

I feel like Wildcat should just turn it's HSQ into a chondola since they already have all the infrastructure.

I don't understand the point of a chondola (or telemix). I've never seen one, but it seems odd. Are there people who will pass on getting in a chair and wait for the gondola car like people waiting for front-row at a rollerocoaster?

catsup948

Jay needs to replace the bonnie with a high speed lift. There is a ton of good glades, powerline and several other fun trails that can be accessed from the chair but it's so damn slow. The Jet is pretty slow and old as well.

skiNEwhere

I can't remember how long the ride on the Bonnie actually was, but it always felt like a 15 minute ride. Maybe because you can see the whole length of the lift vs lifts where the topology hides the top portions.

I think it would be useful to truncate the top 200-300 yards of the freezer where it goes over that ridge and the wind hits you full force, to minimize wind holds. You don't really gain any vertical, in fact it almost feels like you lose it.

You could replay that truncated section with a surface lift easily as well since it's not steep.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah Bomnie has been on the replacement list for a while. At least put a conveyor in to speed it up.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

I can't remember how long the ride on the Bonnie actually was, but it always felt like a 15 minute ride. Maybe because you can see the whole length of the lift vs lifts where the topology hides the top portions.

I think it would be useful to truncate the top 200-300 yards of the freezer where it goes over that ridge and the wind hits you full force, to minimize wind holds. You don't really gain any vertical, in fact it almost feels like you lose it.

You could replay that truncated section with a surface lift easily as well since it's not steep.

It's a lot more than 200-300 yards I believe. You would lose a lot of fun glades like Everglade, Staircase, BP, and AP when the Tram is down.

skiNEwhere

It's a lot more than 200-300 yards I believe. You would lose a lot of fun glades like Everglade, Staircase, BP, and AP when the Tram is down.

You know what I'm talking about, the flat, almost downhill portion at the top.

I know this seems far fetched but that would minimize a lot of wind holds, surface lift would ensure you could still access the same terrain.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don't understand the point of a chondola (or telemix). I've never seen one, but it seems odd. Are there people who will pass on getting in a chair and wait for the gondola car like people waiting for front-row at a rollerocoaster?

I've ridden the one at Sunday River and its setup is pretty straightforward. Gondola people have their own line, chair people have their line. At no point are the two lines merged. They both have separate entry points. After that its just like a normal chairlift or gondola. If there's a gondola entering the terminal, then the gates for the chair people stay closed. If there's a chair, then gondola people stay put.

Like yourself, I was a doubter in the convenience of a chondola, but it's really nice to have the option. The chondola concept works great when you have people who are lapping the lift and would like the convenience of keeping on their skis instead of taking them off each run. But if you're coming out of the lodge then you can take a gondola instead of wasting time putting on your skis.

machski

Yes, and they know that as well. It was suppose to be replaced with the Powerline 6 last season but that got held up (multiple reasons that I have heard). So they moved the base of the lift up instead (as they had to with the new stateside lodge/hotel). I know it is still planned but have heard no definitive schedule since. If it does happen, the old bonnie is suppose to move over and replace the Jet triple.
Jay needs to replace the bonnie with a high speed lift. There is a ton of good glades, powerline and several other fun trails that can be accessed from the chair but it's so damn slow. The Jet is pretty slow and old as well.

BenedictGomez

Gondola people have their own line, chair people have their line. At no point are the two lines merged. They both have separate entry points. After that its just like a normal chairlift or gondola. If there's a gondola entering the terminal, then the gates for the chair people stay closed. If there's a chair, then gondola people stay put.

Is the Gondola line generally longer (i.e. is it usually quicker in the Chair line)?