• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Area Walk-up lift ticket rates, 2014-15

thetrailboss

Staff member
$5 for both the walk up & online tickets. Last year they didn't include the $5 cost for their RFID card in the listed walk up price. This year they do making it look like a $10 increase when it's really not.

Ok. Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JAM614

Black Mountain of Maine, best priced mid-sized mountain anywhere in the east. 1000+ vertical.
Fridays- $15
Saturday- $25
Sunday- $25
Operating hours TBD. Usually have night skiing on friday and saturday nights.

dlague

My understanding is that electricity costs are due to be substantially higher for ski areas from this point on. I imagine it's related to that.

Yup expected to increase 2-3 cents on a power generation rate of 8 cents currently in our area. Increase to take place in October. Distribution and transmission cost will remain flat. Effectively - 15-20% increase.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

dlague

Yup expected to increase 2-3 cents on a power generation rate of 8 cents currently in our area. Increase to take place in October. Distribution and transmission cost will remain flat. Effectively - 15-20% increase overall. Most ski areas try to use electricity for snowmaking during non peak hours to cut costs which is at night. Nearly 50% less expensive. So when you see gun a blazin during the day - that becomes expensive snow.

steamboat1

Yup expected to increase 2-3 cents on a power generation rate of 8 cents currently in our area. Increase to take place in October. Distribution and transmission cost will remain flat. Effectively - 15-20% increase.

The cost of commercial electricity usage varies unlike residential usage costs which are fixed. It can vary by the hour for commercial users.

dlague

The cost of commercial electricity usage varies unlike residential usage costs which are fixed. It can vary by the hour for commercial users.

I know I work for an electric utility company and we announced a 3 cent increase. We have 6 ski areas in our service area.

mbedle

I know I work for an electric utility company and we announced a 3 cent increase. We have 6 ski areas in our service area.

Diague - don't most large usage commercial costumers get billed under the Demand Billing Provision? I would think that a ski area's electric usage is pretty fixed for most items (lifts, electronics, and lighting) and highly variable on snow making. So, even with higher electric rates, you may pay less for electric in higher than average natural snowfall years.

dlague

Diague - don't most large usage commercial costumers get billed under the Demand Billing Provision? I would think that a ski area's electric usage is pretty fixed for most items (lifts, electronics, and lighting) and highly variable on snow making. So, even with higher electric rates, you may pay less for electric in higher than average natural snowfall years.

Spot on! Most larger utility members opt for alternative and cheaper power generation source as well. There are three parts to utility costs, power generation, transmission and distribution. Larger customers also get cheaper rates during the night for distribution (off peak rate).

mlkrgr

If I'm not mistaken it was $82 last year.

Actually, I paid $77 for a one day lift ticket plus bus ride to Stowe on Saturday 2/8 last season through Nacski. Could have gone the third Saturday in March at $37 last year as they were running a special buy a lift ticket and get a free bus ride (they account for $40 of the price as the bus ride cost) but I had a prior commitment.

On a good note, it does look like advertised group rates are holding pretty steady at Stowe at $67 during the regular season. Plus, you do not have to pay the $5 RFID card fee when you go with a group. But they must cut a hell of a deal with these bus group companies b/c it's not cheap to rent buses. I asked for a quote for the hell of it a couple years ago and was quoted $1300 just to get to Loon from Boston for the day.

BenedictGomez

Actually, I paid $77 for a one day lift ticket plus bus ride to Stowe on Saturday 2/8 last season.

1338012_o.gif

A few from Quebec

Mont Sainte Anne - $75
Le Massif - $75
Mont Sutton - $60

And with the current exchange rate that's more like $67, $67, $54!

dlague

Gunstock's 2014/15 prices jumped from $75 to $78 for weekend/Holiday... wow...

Yup too much! I do not care what anyone says - paying over $50 at any ski resort (including Stowe) is like taking it bending over - THERE ARE DEALS OUT THERE!