• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Area Walk-up lift ticket rates, 2014-15

steamboat1

Holy crap, those are significant increases!

Whiteface was like $84, and IIRC unless I'm mistaken Gore was only $75.

Belleayre is irrelevant to me as I wouldn't pay $6.64 to ski there, but I think that went up too. I don't see how the heck they price Gore above Whiteface though, that's kindof shocking.
Gore now has the same weekend/hol. rate as Killington. It's still $9 less midweek. Whiteface is $89 everyday, not just weekend/hol..

trackbiker

Whiteface: Peak season rate $89 (Peak Season pricing will be in effect from Saturday, December 13, 2014 through Sunday, March 22, 2015)

Gore: weekend/hol. $92....midweek $75

Belleayre: weekend/hol. $64....midweek $52

I don't know where you got the Gore figures from but here are the numbers from their website.

Saturday - Sunday, & Holiday Periods 1-Day Adult (20-64): $82

Monday - Friday, Non-Holiday 1-Day Adult (20-64): $75

BenedictGomez

I don't know where you got the Gore figures from but here are the numbers from their website.

Saturday - Sunday, & Holiday Periods 1-Day Adult (20-64): $82

Monday - Friday, Non-Holiday 1-Day Adult (20-64): $75

That makes me feel a bit better. Though $82 for Gore still seems expensive given that superior ski areas like Smuggs & Jay & Sugarbush charge less. For a place that's really trying to increase skier visits, their prices seem somewhat out of place. My 2¢.

steamboat1

Though $82 for Gore still seems expensive given that superior ski areas like Sugarbush charge less.
Pretty sure Sugarbush was the same as K last year ($82/$89). I'd expect them to be the same as K this year ($84/$92). Sugarbush hasn't announced walk up window rates yet this year so who knows. Pretty sure Okemo had the same walk up rates last year also, they haven't announced yet either.

yeggous

Attitash and Wildcat are going from $70 to $75. I heard Bretton Woods is going up from $82 but I don't know how much. At least NH remains cheaper than VT.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Raising ticket prices after the shit show that it was last year at Wildcat is going to rub people wrong.

yeggous

Raising ticket prices after the shit show that it was last year at Wildcat is going to rub people wrong.

True story. I already told them that we only renewed one of our two season passes for that reason. Their wonderful customer service manager was sympathetic. I guess they have to service their debt somehow.

If you read their disclosure statements from the aborted IPO, Peak Resorts only paid $500k-ish for Wildcat. The rest was assumed debt.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

I also noticed same price weekday as weekend as well.

While this is technically true, it is far from it in practice. They have some sort of weekly special every weekday, you can buy $35 midweek tickets in your purchase in September, and their Vertical Value card gets you 50% off.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

While this is technically true, it is far from it in practice. They have some sort of weekly special every weekday, you can buy $35 midweek tickets in your purchase in September, and their Vertical Value card gets you 50% off.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

...and the vertical value card costs? Mon/Weds the vert card is the only deal. Tues/Thursday 65 with $10 lunch. Fridays either 50 or 40. So yes there are deals but there were before when it was only 63 for weekdays. I think it was 63 last year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
True story. I already told them that we only renewed one of our two season passes for that reason.

I didn't renew for this season. I'll be getting a value card and seeing how the snow making issues have been worked out.

BenedictGomez

Sure seems like some resorts are just pushing for season pass sales with those single day rates!

The increases during the last 5 years or so are definitely greater than most prior periods (i.e. it doesnt just see like skiing's getting more expensive, skiing really IS getting more expensive).

People always b***h about price increases, but for a long time I think they were generally reasonable versus inflation. Sadly I don't think that's the case anymore. Billski keeps a cool list of ski area weekend/holiday ticket prices (link below) that he has at least 8 consecutive years data for. Unfortunately it appears he didn't do it last year, but if you just eyeball that list you can clearly see the increase are typically > 20% or 30% through the prior 7 year period that there's data for. This is obviously substantially in excess of inflation, which has been very low. And my guess is that if that list was updated with the 2 additional years of lift ticket data we have, it would look even worse judging by some of the increased numbers in this thread

http://www.iabsi.com/public/ski/Area_sorted_by_12-13_price.html

mbedle

The increases during the last 5 years or so are definitely greater than most prior periods (i.e. it doesnt just see like skiing's getting more expensive, skiing really IS getting more expensive).

People always b***h about price increases, but for a long time I think they were generally reasonable versus inflation. Sadly I don't think that's the case anymore. Billski keeps a cool list of ski area weekend/holiday ticket prices (link below) that he has at least 8 consecutive years data for. Unfortunately it appears he didn't do it last year, but if you just eyeball that list you can clearly see the increase are typically > 20% or 30% through the prior 7 year period that there's data for. This is obviously substantially in excess of inflation, which has been very low. And my guess is that if that list was updated with the 2 additional years of lift ticket data we have, it would look even worse judging by some of the increased numbers in this thread

http://www.iabsi.com/public/ski/Area_sorted_by_12-13_price.html

I think you need to also look at what online rates are compared to early times when tickets were only sold at the window. I am not sure at what point Stowe switched over to the e-cards, but if it was around 07/08, you are basically paying the same rates as back then. I think back to last winter and at Stowe, I don't remember seeing a ton of people buying tickets at the window. At my local place, on the weekends, I would see big lines. However, my local place didn't give such a big discount like Stowe did for buying lift access online.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think you need to also look at what online rates are compared to early times when tickets were only sold at the window. I am not sure at what point Stowe switched over to the e-cards, but if it was around 07/08, you are basically paying the same rates as back then. I think back to last winter and at Stowe, I don't remember seeing a ton of people buying tickets at the window. At my local place, on the weekends, I would see big lines. However, my local place didn't give such a big discount like Stowe did for buying lift access online.

The online vs. window rate seems to be a new thing and seems to work for finding deals. For example, I never did that before last season...never used Liftopia, etc. because I did not want to commit and/or could not buy them the day before.

In February we spent the President's Weekend with friends up at Park City/Canyons. I could not use my freebie days at Deer Valley or PCMR; Costco Canyons vouchers were blacked out as well. I just went to Canyon's website to see what was the damage....at 10:30pm the night before skiing I could get tickets for $89 versus $108 window rate on their site. We did it. Worked great. Did the same thing the next night and it worked great. The message: if we committed to Canyons the night before, bought the tickets, they gave us a good discount on a holiday. They made it easy and let us buy them close enough so that we knew that we would be skiing.

steamboat1

This thread is supposed to be about ski area walk up lift ticket rates. We all know or should know there are better deals available. That's not what this thread is supposed to be about.