• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

E-Mountain Bikes?

buellski

I read that longtime editor of MBA actual quit over the whole issue:

"Last week, Mac put in his resignation to MTB Action. I saw this on Facebook – End of an era for me. I’m leaving Mountain Bike Action. The publisher is expanding the magazine’s coverage to motorized mountain bikes and I just can’t go along with his logic. Mountain biking is a human-powered activity."

- http://stevetilford.com/2014/07/21/jimmy-mac-mcilvain/

RENO

I read that longtime editor of MBA actual quit over the whole issue:

"Last week, Mac put in his resignation to MTB Action. I saw this on Facebook – End of an era for me. I’m leaving Mountain Bike Action. The publisher is expanding the magazine’s coverage to motorized mountain bikes and I just can’t go along with his logic. Mountain biking is a human-powered activity."

- http://stevetilford.com/2014/07/21/jimmy-mac-mcilvain/
That's in the article above also. I agree with him 100% that motorized bikes should not be in a mountain bike magazine.:thumbdown:

bvibert

Staff member
It has a motor, therefore it is a motorcycle. Keep them off of trails where motorcycles are prohibited and I don't see a problem. I also don't see the point, but that's just my opinion.

skiNEwhere

The article stated they are "pedal assisted", not sure exactly what that means. My concern is that people who don't have the physical stamina to be riding uphill are going to get one of these and then get themselves in trouble.

Puck it

The article stated they are "pedal assisted", not sure exactly what that means. My concern is that people who don't have the physical stamina to be riding uphill are going to get one of these and then get themselves in trouble.

Kinda like a chairlift then.

bvibert

Staff member

The difference being, that when there's a chairlift involved there's usually some sort of patrol around to assist someone who might have gotten in over their head...

skiNEwhere

Technically...but the sport of skiing normally uses chairlifts, trail riding does not necessarily. Even if you do get into trouble trail riding at a resort, you can call for help.

If you go trail riding with that and the battery dies and you weren't in that good of shape to begin with, like the article states you have to then lug the weight of the motor along with the bike and yourself to get back to the trailhead or wherever you started.