• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

N/S Pack Monadnock NH 1-27-07

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked:1/27/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Wapack

Total Distance: 7.4 Mi

Difficulty: Hard

Conditions: Cold, Snowy, Icy

Special Required Equipment: Stabilicers

Trip Report:

Abster (VFTT) joined me on this out and back from Rte 101 to North Pack Monadnock. The rock on the trail were pretty tricky as they were nicely coated in ice. Views were pretty decent once the snow stopped falling (about 40 miles). We started in the single digits temperaturewise, and ended at about 16 degrees in the afternoon. Good times!

For more trip report, and of course, pictures go here (South park fans will be amused by one of them): http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/PackMonadnock070127/

P1270089_t.jpg

montvm

Cliff Trail on North Pak!!!!

This is a nice trip i did the same on this past fall up to South peak over to North Peak, but on the Return trip back I descended the Cliff trail and it had some spectacular views...Although this way down would be pretty sketchy in the winter unless you had crampons!

Nice trip though, i'll definalty go back there someday!

Angus

I hike this alot but always from the norther terminus - get as far as the summit of pack monadnock and then head back - seems more remote that way! & the views - especially from N. Pack are real nice.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is a nice trip i did the same on this past fall up to South peak over to North Peak, but on the Return trip back I descended the Cliff trail and it had some spectacular views...Although this way down would be pretty sketchy in the winter unless you had crampons!

Nice trip though, i'll definalty go back there someday!

Two very nice mountains. The Cliff Trail is pretty incredible. Miller State Park and the towers offer nice views...but it kind of ruins the experience. North Pack is wild....hard to believe that you are so close to Manchester and the Boston area.

And Marc...do you sleep :blink: ? :wink: