• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter 14-15 Ski Trip Plans

skiNEwhere

Here's an article dated 9/11/14 with eye candy photos of the installation of the new Kachina Peak chairlift at Taos: http://ski.curbed.com/archives/2014/09/see-the-vertigo-inducing-photos-of-taoss-new-chairlift.php#more

Thanks for the update! I was wondering how far along they were.

I imagine the locals were ripshit about that though. Aspen highlands hike-to terrain that takes about 45 minutes to hike as well (at least for me)

If they said they were gonna install a lift up the highlands bowl I think the locals would raid the Aspen Skiing Company office with pitchforks

dlague

We day trip everything in New England - live in a great location. However, plan on a trip to Banff..

We are also planning a trip to Banff, probably 1st or 2nd week of February.
I posted a "info wanted" on Sunday River's community web site and got some interesting replys.
http://community.sundayriver.com/forum/topics/info-requested-banff

Here is a little Banff stoke! Sherpa Cinemas and Banff create a series of short films - 4 all total. Here is the trailer!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Staying local. I see some mention of SLC. If folks come out and want to take a few runs let me know.

In an ideal world I'd do a Burke/Sugarbush/Sugarloaf trip for old times sake.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stayed in Newpark two years ago, beautiful place on the free bus line to canyons pcmr and deer valley and it was a lot cheaper than on mountain but still very easy to get around. The place has a small village with restaurants movies bowling all walking distance. Pic 1 is front my deck, 2 the inside of room and 3 the plaza area.

Spent a weekend at Newpark last summer. Very nice rooms and brand new.

prsboogie

Planned one week in Bartlett with days at Attitash, Wildcat, and Bretton Woods (free junior season passes for my kids seasonal rentals YAY), Interwest passes with 6 days at Stratton for me and the groms, 2fer at Kmart, plus DEV at Wachusett for the groms with weekender passes. Hope to do lots of midweek trips whenever possible.

Farleyman

If all goes as planned:
25-30 days at cannon
5-10 days at bwoods (parents work rhere)
4-5 days a jay
3 days at loaf for the summit!
Few days a killington
Wildcat atleast twice
Mid week Cranmore once or twice
4 days at snowbird/alta
5-10 days hiking Washington

Hopefully I don't get fired!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Nothing booked officially but these are easy ones I know will happen

AZ Summit (2 days at Loaf with Black of ME, or Mt Abram on the Friday heading up)
N VT 3 day Junket (MRV, Smuggs, BV, Burke, Jay, Middlebury as options)
Multiple trips to family place outside of Ludlow (Okemo, Magic, Pico, Bromley?)
Guys wknd up in ME (ski Loaf and Saddleback)
Overnight at family place up I-89 in NH (Whaleback, Ragged combo wknd)

Day trips to Cannon, Ragged, Wildcat early season?, K early season?, etc.
I've acquired some vouchers and done additional thinking since this post so am slightly amending my plans.
In addition to the above I'm also planning for:
-Family 3 day MWV Tour w/ wife and son. B Woods with RSNE on Sat, Black Mtn Sunday, Attitash/Wildcat Monday. Will be looking for a place with a pool/1 BR near Bartlett/Jackson for Sat and Sunday nights.

-Going to finally pop my Berkshire East cherry as I've long heard great things but have never thought about driving South to go skiing. Catsup948 will be my host and tour guide. I will likely be pairing this with a stop at Granite Gorge on Saturday on my way out---another under the radar place I've wanted to check out.

Last edited:

dlague

Goal for the season

• Black Mountain Count 1
  • Black Mt of ME Count 1
  • BoltonValley Count 1
  • Bretton Woods Count 2
  • Cannon Count 24
  • Gunstock Count 1
  • Jay Peak Count 6
  • Killington Count 3
  • Liftopia? Count 1
  • Magic Mountain Count 2
  • Okemo Count 1
  • Pats Peak Count 1
  • Ragged Count 2
  • Saddleback Mountain Count 2
  • Stowe Count 1
  • Sugarbush Count 2
  • Sunday River Count 1
  • Waterville Count 1
  • Banff 4

Grand Count 57

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I have a 3 day trip to Stowe planned for late March. I'm stoked already!

Here are some other goals I've got.

Start and end year at Butternut. Probably start in mid December and end in early April/late March.
At least 5 Friday nights at Mohawk plus their FREE closing day.
3-5 days in southern VT
Hoping for 2-3 days at Catamount.
A day at Jiminy, Sunapee, and Killington sprinkled in there.

18-22 days total is a good estimate.

Tin

K = 2-3 times early
Berkshire E = ? Whenever there is a southern storm
Pico = 2-3 times when the woods are good
Smuggs = 3-4 times when the good stuff is open
MRG/Bush = 8-10 times ($359 for a college pass but a lot of driving)
Magic = 8-10 times (the day trip spot)
Loaf/Saddleback for the Summit = 3-4 days
Just hoping for another 30 days and no injuries. The driving is what will limit it.

steamboat1

30+ days at Killington/Pico using my pass. Hopefully at least a dozen days skiing around New England a little. Don't get around as much as I used to since the rest of my family doesn't ski anymore. If New England gets washed out early & places out west still have good snow I might make a trip out there sometime in April. I've had good success in the past sking out there late season both with conditions & pricing.

skiNEwhere

I'm going to try to ski lesser know CO ski areas this season.

Sunlight is at the top of my list. Located outside of Glenwood Springs, it's overshadowed by aspen which is only 45 minutes away.

Cheap lift tickets, and few crowds, I've heard it's a hidden gem on a pow day. Trail map looks very respectable.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1412088853.374167.jpg

ceo

I just booked 3 nights at Smuggs for the tail end of Presidents Day week. Interestingly, their vacation week rates are only in effect through the Friday, which made this Thursday-Sunday trip significantly less expensive than something in the middle of the week would have been.

I chose Smuggs because my 4-year-old son will be joining us along with my older son (he will have just started skiing), which made it more important to have a lot of after-ski kids' activities available, plus their little-kid ski camp suited my needs perfectly. Haven't been there since I was 5, but I gather it hasn't changed a whole lot. :)

xwhaler

I've acquired some vouchers and done additional thinking since this post so am slightly amending my plans.
In addition to the above I'm also planning for:
-Family 3 day MWV Tour w/ wife and son. B Woods with RSNE on Sat, Black Mtn Sunday, Attitash/Wildcat Monday. Will be looking for a place with a pool/1 BR near Bartlett/Jackson for Sat and Sunday nights.

-Going to finally pop my Berkshire East cherry as I've long heard great things but have never thought about driving South to go skiing. Catsup948 will be my host and tour guide. I will likely be pairing this with a stop at Granite Gorge on Saturday on my way out---another under the radar place I've wanted to check out.
Update 11/12: Likely not going to do the MWV 3 day mentioned above...I traded my Black NH voucher for Crotched as it will be easier for me to use for a quick hit daytrip option.

Do have 2 lodging packages booked for VT though
End of Feb (Bolton, Smuggs, Bush
Mid March (Bolton, MRG, Middlebury)
AZ Summit is booked (BMOM/Abram on Friday, Loaf, Loaf)

Other up in the air possibilities:
-Berkshire East/Granite Gorge wknd
-Burke/Owls Head Mid Dec

catsup948

Two Trips I'm part of have been booked.

AZ Summit- Friday at BMOM or Abram
March- Bolton, MRG, and Middlebury

Other Trips

Jay with my family- wife can't conceive of planning this far ahead!
Late Season Jay/Smuggs/Stowe or some combo but not likely Stowe
Whaleback/S6/Dartmouth Skiway some combo of those three in the same day!
Ossipee with my family during Christmas break- Cranmore/Black/Shawnee/King Pine/Who knows? only time will tell...