• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter 14-15 Ski Trip Plans

Cornhead

The plan is to take off two consecutive weeks splitting them between CO, and NM. I'd like to do the Snowsports Week at Taos, their steep and deep clinic, 5 mornings. I have free lodging in Santa Fe, but it may be too far for a daily commute, about 70 miles one way. I would save quite a bit over staying in Taos, if I can handle the drive. It'd be great to hit Wolf Creek on the way to my Son's place in Boulder, if the stars align, and I catch a storm.

As far as CO, at least one day at A-basin, then probably Breck, Loveland, Vail. My Son has the Epic Pass, so he can board all those places. He can get me a slight discount too, might find better deals through supermarkets. If I can swing it, I'd love to make another late Spring trip to A-basin too. I have a pass, so if I stay with my Son I can do it for airfare, gas, and rental car fees.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

skiNEwhere

The plan is to take off two consecutive weeks splitting them between CO, and NM. I'd like to do the Snowsports Week at Taos, their steep and deep clinic, 5 mornings. I have free lodging in Santa Fe, but it may be too far for a daily commute, about 70 miles one way. I would save quite a bit over staying in Taos, if I can handle the drive. It'd be great to hit Wolf Creek on the way to my Son's place in Boulder, if the stars align, and I catch a storm.

As far as CO, at least one day at A-basin, then probably Breck, Loveland, Vail. My Son has the Epic Pass, so he can board all those places. He can get me a slight discount too, might find better deals through supermarkets. If I can swing it, I'd love to make another late Spring trip to A-basin too. I have a pass, so if I stay with my Son I can do it for airfare, gas, and rental car fees.

I think the important question here is, are you going to bring another karma cat with you?

jaytrem

I have free lodging in Santa Fe, but it may be too far for a daily commute, about 70 miles one way. I would save quite a bit over staying in Taos, if I can handle the drive.

70 to Taos and then another 20 to the ski area. Sounds like a lot of wasted gas and time. Sounds like a great trip overall though.

Cornhead

70 to Taos and then another 20 to the ski area. Sounds like a lot of wasted gas and time. Sounds like a great trip overall though.

Yeah, maybe I can find someplace in Taos fairly cheap, same situation in CO, I can stay with my Son, but Boulder is about the same distance to A-basin as Taos is from Santa Fe. It was great getting a cheap place across the road from Keystone in May, but it was May.

Smellytele

Fair Warning the drive from Taos to wolf Creek is scary if it is snowing. I went from Pagosa Springs (just west of WolfCreek) to Taos and the road (64?)up over the pass in New Mexico was only plowed on one side for part of it and not at all for the other part. It isn't patrolled from 6pm to 8am

ScottySkis

It is the worst...state....ever....which prompts me to promote following "Florida Man" on Twitter.

Despite the above I am going to Key West next month. Any place where I can publicly carry and drink my booze deserves my attention.

And lots of head shops on every corner. It actually reminds of Greenwich Village of NYC . Party town. Cooler weather to ave high is 78 degrees and low humidy water that surrounds it keeps it cooler. Have fun it actally the only place in FL that i want to go back to . I did only one day their.

snoseek

Yeah, maybe I can find someplace in Taos fairly cheap, same situation in CO, I can stay with my Son, but Boulder is about the same distance to A-basin as Taos is from Santa Fe. It was great getting a cheap place across the road from Keystone in May, but it was May.

If you're feeling like dirtbagging this place is spectacular...http://www.snowmansion.com/Taos-Lodging.html

Cornhead

If you're feeling like dirtbagging this place is spectacular...http://www.snowmansion.com/Taos-Lodging.html

Thanks for the tip, dirtbag is my middle name, bare bones lodging is what I like, a hot tub is a bonus, but I always forget to bring a pair of shorts, it's hard to remember them when packing for a ski trip. Let's see I'm going skiing, what do I need? Shorts tend not to come to mind...unless it's April!

jimk

I stayed in the Abominable Snowmansion Hostel about 20 years ago. It was packed that night and I didn't sleep worth sheet, but it is cheap. I almost stayed there again with my son in 2012, but then we started fishing around on Priceline and found a room at SunGod Motel in town of Taos for $40something, same price as two people at hostel, although it's a little farther to ski area it was very decent for the price. Taos is one of those towns where more people visit in summer than winter, so there are good deals on motels during ski season. I guess you are using your free three days at Taos from your A-Basin pass which is great because it's a fantastic ski area, but Ski Santa Fe is worth a day or two as well in case you stay some nights in Santa Fe. That new Kachina Peak chair at Taos is going to catch the attention of every black diamond skier in the USA.

I'm going to retire at the end of this year. The plan is to get into ski shape with local skiing in Jan, then go west for Feb and Mar. Still haven't decided where those two months will be spent. Lots of static/misdirection from family and external sources about this, both timing and duration, but I'm fairly determined even if it's two months dirtbagging in the Snowmansion:roll: This is to make up for not taking the opportunity to do the ski bum thing when I had an opportunity back in the winter of '77.

Last edited:

Cornhead

I stayed in the Abominable Snowmansion Hostel about 20 years ago. It was packed that night and I didn't sleep worth sheet, but it is cheap. I almost stayed there again with my son in 2012, but then we started fishing around on Priceline and found a room at SunGod Motel in town of Taos for $40something, same price as two people at hostel, although it's a little farther to ski area it was very decent for the price. Taos is one of those towns where more people visit in summer than winter, so there are good deals on motels during ski season. I guess you are using your free three days at Taos from your A-Basin pass which is great because it's a fantastic ski area, but Ski Santa Fe is worth a day or two as well in case you stay some nights in Santa Fe.

Thanks for more advise, I've made 2 trips to NM already, I've skied Taos, Santa Fe, and Pajarito. I agree Santa Fe is pretty sweet, it blows away most places in the East, but gets lost in the shuffle out West. My buddy is retired, lives in Santa Fe, I took him skiing for the first time in 15 yrs at Santa Fe, he went as far as buying gear the next year, he can now ski for free, 70+, but he never caught the bug. I'd love to trade places with him. Maybe I can ski a weekend there with him. The Snowsports Week would tie me up for 5 days at Taos. I tried to get him to go to Taos with me, but he wouldn't go, maybe he was intimidated, but there's lots of nice intermediate terrain at Taos. It's kinda like MRG, the gnar is there, but it doesn't mean you have to ski it.

BenedictGomez

Hmmm, just thinking what i have to do. I just got married this year and thinking to go Salt Lake City, Utah for a good winter Ski trip. I have a close relatives there who run a Ski & Snowboard Equipment Sales & Rental shop. First of all thinking to contact him.

utah ski rentals

Ehhhh, your location says you're already in Salt Lake City?

Zand

Can't plan anything out for this winter at this point. Started a new job back in March which I work 6 days a week 7:30-4 and on my day of on Sunday I have no desire to do anything. Only got 4 days in last year after Feb 1 which really sucked. I broke my wrist 3 weeks ago and killed my vacation time for this year so I could get a couple paychecks while I'm out, hence no way to do more than a day trip through January 1st. Then I have to go on a cruise in January which kills another 7 vacation days to start next year so it'll be tough to get them to let me take off more than a day here and there the rest of the winter.

That said, I plan on getting a couple Fox44 cards for day trips to Jay, Burke, Cannon, MRG, and Smuggs. Will have a Wa pass for nights and that'll get me some half-off days at Killington. Planned on going to SLC the last week of Feb last year but ended up in training that week. Probably won't make it this year either. Maybe I can get up to the AZ Summit this year at least.

Savemeasammy

Hmmm, just thinking what i have to do. I just got married this year and thinking to go Salt Lake City, Utah for a good winter Ski trip. I have a close relatives there who run a Ski & Snowboard Equipment Sales & Rental shop. First of all thinking to contact him.

utah ski rentals

This would would be less cheesy if you would actively participate on the forum - and, of course, if you were honest about who you are. I'm sure there are people on here who would appreciate your input on gear, and who wouldn't mind feeling like they have a connection in SLC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimk

The Snowsports Week would tie me up for 5 days at Taos. I tried to get him to go to Taos with me, but he wouldn't go, maybe he was intimidated, but there's lots of nice intermediate terrain at Taos. It's kinda like MRG, the gnar is there, but it doesn't mean you have to ski it.

Here's an article dated 9/11/14 with eye candy photos of the installation of the new Kachina Peak chairlift at Taos: http://ski.curbed.com/archives/2014/09/see-the-vertigo-inducing-photos-of-taoss-new-chairlift.php#more