• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

West on the Cheap 2014-2015

skiNEwhere

Is there enough interest for this thread?

I've posted a few different deals for the west but they are intertwined in the other "Skiing on the Cheap Thread"

Figured this thread could be used for deals in CO, UT, MT, CA, WY, ID, NM, WA, OR and possibly even Canada to make searching and sifting easier.

Colorado BOGO ticket (labeled as 2 for 1)

Buy the Gems card for just $20 and get a one BOGO at each resort

• Arapahoe Basin
  • Eldora
  • Loveland
  • Monarch Mountain
  • Powderhorn
  • Ski Cooper
  • Ski Granby Ranch
  • Sunlight

http://www.coloradoski.com/page/gems

BTW, looking for good deals on Jackson hole, will be staying and skiing there for a week in late Feb

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Copying other skiing on the cheap page.

Probably only a good deal if you plan on actually skiing silverton or Taos, or the other 2 resorts more than 2 days. Otherwise the gems card is probably a better value.

For $299 you get unlimited unguided skiing at silverton mtn, half price standby heli-drops (like $90)

Also get 5 days EACH at
Arapahoe Basin
Taos
Monarch

http://silvertonmountain.com/page/go...&article_id=99

Even if you don't ski silverton, just using 10 out of those 15 days makes it worth it. Wish I caught this when it was only $199 :sad:

They will mail the pass to you if you have no intentions of skiing silverton

skiNEwhere

skifreedeals.com

http://skifreedeals.com

Buy 10 gallons of gas at shell, get your voucher from the gas station attendant, and get a BOGO at the following places in CO, NM, CA and NV

2014 SKI RESORTS: CALIFORNIA & NEVADA

Click on a Resort logo below for details or click here to view all California–Nevada offers.

2014 SKI RESORTS: COLORADO

COPPER MOUNTAIN

Valid:
Blackouts:

7 Days a Week
None

CRESTED BUTTE

Valid:
Blackouts:

7 Days a Week
February 15–16, March 10-12, March 17-19

LOVELAND SKI AREA

Valid:
Blackouts:

Sunday – Thursday
January 19-20, February 16–17, March 23-27

MONARCH MOUNTAIN

Valid:
Blackouts:

7 Days a Week. Regular ticket price $65. Not valid Saturday in February.
January 18-19, February 16, March 10-21

POWDERHORN MOUNTAIN RESORT

Valid:
Blackouts:

Monday – Friday
None

2014 SKI RESORTS: NEW MEXICO

ANGEL FIRE RESORT

Valid:
Blackouts:

7 Days a Week
February 15-17, March 7-16

TAOS VALLEY SKI RESORT

Valid:
Blackouts:

7 Days a Week
February 15-17, March 10-15

2014 OTHER SNOW ACTIVITIES: COLORADO

FIRST ASCENT MOUNTAIN SCHOOL - SNOWSHOEING

Purchase one half-day guided snowshoeing tour and get one FREE for the same tour. Valid at Rampart Reservoir and North Cheyenne Canon. Restrictions apply. Call for complete details. Reservations required at 719-304-6677.

NOVA GUIDES - SNOWMOBILING

Purchase one snowmobile rental for the 1:30pm tour in Tigiwon and get one snowmobile rental FREE for the same tour. Based on availability. Restrictions apply. Call for complete details. Reservations required at 719-486-2656.

skiNEwhere

Copper Mountain season pass. http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter...ses/copperpass

At $389, pays for itself in 4 days but it's the benefits that really kick in:

3 Free days at:
Killington Ski Resort, VT
Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort, NV
Boreal Mountain Resort, CA
Mt. Bachelor Resort, OR
Taos Ski Valley, NM
Grand Targhee, WY

Personally I think Copper is overshadowed by it's hyped up neighbors, and it usually doesn't get too crowded on the weekend.

moresnow

Copper Mountain season pass. http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter...ses/copperpass

At $389, pays for itself in 4 days but it's the benefits that really kick in:

3 Free days at:
Killington Ski Resort, VT
Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort, NV
Boreal Mountain Resort, CA
Mt. Bachelor Resort, OR
Taos Ski Valley, NM
Grand Targhee, WY

Personally I think Copper is overshadowed by it's hyped up neighbors, and it usually doesn't get too crowded on the weekend.
Taos seems to partner with a lot of mountains.

skiNEwhere

This could potentially be a good deal.... (Keyword being potentially)

http://www.coloradoski.com/gold-pass

RESORT INFORMATION:
The Colorado Gold Pass is valid at 20 Colorado Ski Resorts. Arapahoe Basin, Aspen Highlands, Aspen Mountain, Buttermilk, Copper Mountain, Crested Butte, Purgatory, Eldora, Howelsen, Loveland, Monarch, Powderhorn, Ski Cooper, Snowmass, Ski Granby Ranch, Steamboat, Sunlight, Telluride, Winter Park and Wolf Creek

Note: The 2014-15 Colorado Gold Pass is not valid at Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Keystone or Silverton.

$3,000 is not cheap, but the major perk to the pass is the fact that it is fully transferable. If people on here and other ski forums were to split the cost, and guarantee at least 60 days of use to bring the cost down to a maximum of $50/day, I'd consider it but I'm sure I'd still get burned in the end.

Cornhead

Hey skiNEwhere, I see Warren Miller is giving a free Steamboat ticket this year, have you skied there? Is it worth working SB into a visit to CO, or should I look for discounts to other resorts?

I hadn't planned on attending this year's WM movie, but if I can use the Steamboat voucher, I might. I get a Windham, I probably would use, and a weekday Sugarbush, that's a maybe. I'd like to try redeeming through a venue that gets Gore. We got a Gore voucher one year, but haven't the last two.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

skiNEwhere

Hey skiNEwhere, I see Warren Miller is giving a free Steamboat ticket this year, have you skied there? Is it worth working SB into a visit to CO, or should I look for discounts to other resorts?

I hadn't planned on attending this year's WM movie, but if I can use the Steamboat voucher, I might. I get a Windham, I probably would use, and a weekday Sugarbush, that's a maybe. I'd like to try redeeming through a venue that gets Gore. We got a Gore voucher one year, but haven't the last two.

I only skied there once last year, it was on a pow day though, I think about 6-7 inches at the bottom and 9-10 at the top.

There's nothing overly challenging at SB, but I loved it anyways. The low angle trees were a lot of fun to zip through.

There's a poster on this site, I think his handle is something like "JD Roma" and he skied there for a few days, he'd probably know more than I do

With that said though, I did thoroughly enjoy myself skiing there, if only for a day. I def thought it was worth it

jimk

Thanks for this thread. Pretty sure I'm spending significant time in CO this winter and will continue to read thread. Sorry if already mentioned, couple of obvious, but useful deals:
Loveland 4 packs for $129 off their website available thru 11/23/14, fully transferable: http://www.skiloveland.com/ticketsandpasses/4pak.aspx
Arapaho Basin 4 packs for $149, online, fully transferrable: http://www.arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/tickets/multi-day-passes/xfer-four-pack.aspx
Keystone 4 packs for $179 limited time: http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/keystone-four-pack.aspx
Aspen Classic pass, 4 days for $229 , 7 days for $359. Initially these have to be purchased in Colorado, preseason. Remotely renewal thereafter. Details: http://www.aspensnowmass.com/landing-pages/classic-pass
Copper offers 4 pack for $159 with similar rules as Aspen, must buy first time in person: http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/plan_and_buy/season_passes/fourpack/index.html

Most above deals end in the fall preseason.

Late season Colorado tip: check Denver Craigslist for cheap tics for late March and beyond as many who bought above type products are looking to dump unused at fraction of already low cost.

Cornhead, if you like Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper, etc. you will like Steamboat. Very intermediate friendly with plenty of stuff at single black diamond level too. Not known for tons of double black/extreme stuff. It's kind of far from other CO resorts, a little tough to justify branching off for only a one day visit. Maybe go for two or more days. Here's old trip report, lots of fun family vacation stuff there: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1330

Cornhead

Thanks Jim, not sure exactly what my plans are. I probably will ski with my Son at wherever he wants to go on his Epic Pass, if he can get time off while I'm there. If he can't, Steamboat may be an option. I bought an A-basin season's pass last Spring, so I plan on a day or two there. I haven't skied anywhere else in CO. I was thinking Breck, Loveland, Vail. I do get an unguided day at Silverton with my A-basin pass. Would skiing Steamboat get me closer to Silverton?

jaytrem

I do get an unguided day at Silverton with my A-basin pass. Would skiing Steamboat get me closer to Silverton?

When are you planning on going? Between Jan 9 and Mar 29 this is only guided skiing at Silverton. Pretty sure Steamboat wouldn't get you any closer. Either place you pretty far from Silverton.

jimk

Thanks Jim, not sure exactly what my plans are. I probably will ski with my Son at wherever he wants to go on his Epic Pass, if he can get time off while I'm there. If he can't, Steamboat may be an option. I bought an A-basin season's pass last Spring, so I plan on a day or two there. I haven't skied anywhere else in CO. I was thinking Breck, Loveland, Vail. I do get an unguided day at Silverton with my A-basin pass. Would skiing Steamboat get me closer to Silverton?

Answer about Steamboat: probably not. FYI: Dillon to Steamboat 90miles/1:44 hrs, Dillon to Silverton 300m/5:17hrs, Steamboat to Silverton 320m/6hrs. Maybe a Keystone four pack would be good for your needs? It's not the toughest mtn, but not too dissimilar from Steamboat in that respect and very convenient to A-Basin and on EpicPass. Loveland is always a good budget option, but not on Epic pass. You have son's buddy rates you can get off his epicpass?? All else fails, I love A-Basin and could ski that place only for a whole winter as long as the sun comes out once in a while:razz:

snoseek

I've never actually made the drive between the two but I have to imagine you're looking at 4+ hours between the two.

With that said Steamboat is def worth going to. It works well if you plan on hitting Winter Park either before or after as they're a couple hours apart via us40. Nothing super steep there but it's by no means a flat mountain. The snow is generally great, trees better and most of the crowd not too adventurous leaving good stuff to be had away from the obvious. I actually prefer Winter Park as its chill on the midweek and has a great terrain variety

Edit-you know for 299 you can get a keystone/abasin pass right? I know keystone isn't maybe the best Colorado has to offer but damn that's a good price!

Cornhead

Edit-you know for 299 you can get a keystone/abasin pass right? I know keystone isn't maybe the best Colorado has to offer but damn that's a good price!

Thanks, nope I wasn't aware of that. I'm very happy with my purchase of the A-basin pass, $279. The 3 days at Taos was a motivation, I've been meaning to return to NM to ski for quite awhile. Damn you Fox 44 card!

I've already got 5 days on the pass, I'll do at least one day there this Winter, and I'd love to ski it late season again, if I can $wing it.

xlr8r

I got a under 30yo Stratton Strattitude Pass for $299. It has no blackout dates at Stratton, but also includes $250 to spend at any other Intrawest resort. So I have been looking at doing a trip to Winter Park or Steamboat sometime in March. Anybody have any advice on those two places, which is overall cheaper to get to and stay at as the $250 will go entirely towards buying lift tickets. I figure WP is cheaper and easier to get to, but Steamboat has the superior skiing.

skiNEwhere

So I have been looking at doing a trip to Winter Park or Steamboat sometime in March. Anybody have any advice on those two places, which is overall cheaper to get to and stay at as the $250 will go entirely towards buying lift tickets. I figure WP is cheaper and easier to get to, but Steamboat has the superior skiing.

You have two options:

4x40: $199 and you get 2 days each at Steamboat and Winter Park, no blackout dates.

Intrawest Passport: $589, and 6 days at EACH resort, no blackout dates.
Winter Park
Steamboat
Stratton
Snowshoe
Tremblant
Blue Mountain (The one in Canada, not PA)

@Nick or Mod's, Can we sticky this?