• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

West on the Cheap 2014-2015

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good thread.

The Epic Pass is hard to beat (I know, I know...it is a season pass and not a cheap day program). $589 for those resorts is just crazy.

As to Utah deals, it is very easy to get discount tix here in SLC. Go to any local ski shop and you can save a few bucks. For those that have the time and are members you can get really good deals at Costco here in the Valley. Last year they had Sundance, Snowbird, Canyons, and PCMR tickets. Sundance was a mere $44 per day with no blackouts. Compare that to $65 rack rate. Canyons had the same good deal ($65 per day) but WITH blackouts. PCMR made you buy 5 days at $70 per day WITH blackouts. Snowbird was like $72 per day (as opposed to $92).

I think that the Mountain Collective is also still for sale this season (Squaw, Alpine Meadow, Snowbird, Alta, Jackson Hole, Aspen/Snowmass, Mammoth, Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Norquay, Whistler).

jimk

I got a under 30yo Stratton Strattitude Pass for $299. It has no blackout dates at Stratton, but also includes $250 to spend at any other Intrawest resort. So I have been looking at doing a trip to Winter Park or Steamboat sometime in March. Anybody have any advice on those two places, which is overall cheaper to get to and stay at as the $250 will go entirely towards buying lift tickets. I figure WP is cheaper and easier to get to, but Steamboat has the superior skiing.

Assuming you're flying into Denver then WP is <2 hrs vs. <4hrs to Steamboat. If you like bumps then you don't need to go any further than WP especially if you are traveling solo, only going for 3 ski days and don't need a resort town. If going for a full week it would be nice to see both. If SkiNEwhere's two days at each suggestion is cost effective that might be a fun option. WP can be routed as a midpoint on the way to Steamboat without much additional travel time compared to straight from Denver to Steamboat.

skiNEwhere

Assuming you're flying into Denver then WP is <2 hrs vs. <4hrs to Steamboat. If you like bumps then you don't need to go any further than WP especially if you are traveling solo, only going for 3 ski days and don't need a resort town. If going for a full week it would be nice to see both. If SkiNEwhere's two days at each suggestion is cost effective that might be a fun option. WP can be routed as a midpoint on the way to Steamboat without much additional travel time compared to straight from Denver to Steamboat.

I'd also add you may want to hit steamboat first if you're concerned about altitude sickness. Steamboat has one of the lowest base elevations for a ski resort in the state at a "mere" 6,900 ft. Summit tops out around 10,500 ft.

The average base of most CO resorts is 9,000 and summit is 12,000, which is generally what winter park is as well, so
Skiing Steamboat first would help you transition easier.

Puck it

I am looking for some deals for Idaho in beginning of March. Wife has to be out there for the first two weeks of March. I am going to fly in for the middle weekend. I am going ski close to Boise Thursday and Friday. Then go to Sun Valley for the weekend.

C-Rex

I currently have a trip planned to Red Mountain in BC. However, I've gotten almost no interest from my club so I'm on the verge of cancelling or changing the destination to somewhere a little more resortish to attract more of the types that enjoy that sort of thing.

The deal at the moment is $1599/person for airfare (flying out of Hartford, but I can also do flights from Laguardia and others), slopeside lodging in a 2 bed/2 bath condo with private hot tub, 5 day lift ticket, and all transfers, fees and taxes. I have 18 slots available and you don't have to be a club member.

If I don't get more solid interest soon, and I mean SOON, I'm considering canceling. I can't risk losing the deposit on the flights and rooms we're holding. If that happens my friends and I will just plan our own trip. It amazes me that in a club with 1400+ members I can't get 20 people to go on what will be an awesome trip.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I currently have a trip planned to Red Mountain in BC. However, I've gotten almost no interest from my club so I'm on the verge of cancelling or changing the destination to somewhere a little more resortish to attract more of the types that enjoy that sort of thing.

The deal at the moment is $1599/person for airfare (flying out of Hartford, but I can also do flights from Laguardia and others), slopeside lodging in a 2 bed/2 bath condo with private hot tub, 5 day lift ticket, and all transfers, fees and taxes. I have 18 slots available and you don't have to be a club member.

If I don't get more solid interest soon, and I mean SOON, I'm considering canceling. I can't risk losing the deposit on the flights and rooms we're holding. If that happens my friends and I will just plan our own trip. It amazes me that in a club with 1400+ members I can't get 20 people to go on what will be an awesome trip.

People don't like to commit. That's the issue.

jaytrem

I am looking for some deals for Idaho in beginning of March. Wife has to be out there for the first two weeks of March. I am going to fly in for the middle weekend. I am going ski close to Boise Thursday and Friday. Then go to Sun Valley for the weekend.

Bogus is a really nice area just up in the hill of Boise. It was many years ago, but the hotel I stayed at gave me a 2 for 1 coupon. I think that was basically the deal with a lot of the hotels in town, essentially their version of a ski and stay package. I don't currently see anything on the Bogus web site though.

Update: found it...

http://www.bogusbasin.org/the-mountain/accommodations/stay-and-play-hotel-packages.aspx

This should be perfect for you if your wife won't be skiing those days...

• Split day offer: Single guest purchases a ticket on 1st day, get FREE ticket on 2nd day (within "dates of stay" stamped/marked on the voucher)

mikestaple

I went in on that 589 intrawest pass. It's only a good deal if you are setting up your family to ski. After the first adult buys in, the second adult is 389, teens are 189, and under 12 free.

We are going to Steamboat for 6 days, Tremblant for 3, and will trip over to Stratton once or twice. So this pass works for my situation.

I've skied Steamboat about 10 days in the past few years. It is 4 hours from Denver, but Steamboat Springs is a real town with plenty to do. Lots of accommodations and a free town bus system too.

The steeps are limited to a few chutes and some tight glades on the boundary get cliffy (small cliffy). So the 'nar factor isn't super high (this isn't JHole). But those trees and the dry dry powder. So nice. Great long runs and super sweet glades. Go if you get a chance. It is worth it. (And yes it isn't near anything. I think Cheyenne WY is closer than Denver)

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

mikestaple

Puck. Sun Valley usually has deals at the lodge in March. Check to see if they are done renovating it. Free ski locker at Baldy and shuttle buses for folks at the lodge. Worth the extra cash to stay in such a skiing historical place. (I learned to drive at the age of 8 in their parking lots, but that's a different story)

Absolutely the best snow making, so if Bogus is brown, Sun Valley will have the goods. Fantastically groomed steeps on the front. Seattle ridge lodge for lunch is epic. Wide open bowls that progressively get steeper - so something for everyone. There is heli skiing nearby and the back side has tree skiing from a massive fire a decade or two ago (I could see it but didn't ski it).

Make time to eat at the Roundhouse and enjoy Ketchum.

ThinkSnow

Whistler / Blackcomb - British Columbia
Jan 18-25, 2015 FROM $1549
PROGRAM INCLUDES:
  • R/T air to Vancouver from most East coast cities
  • R/T transfers from Vancouver
  • 7 Nights lodging in Whistler Village
  • 5 of 6 day lift ticket
  • Taxes

SNO-SEARCH
P.O. Box 51092, 34 Front Street-5th Floor
Indian Orchard, MA 01151
Info (800)232-2415
Fax (413)543-2570

SNO-SEARCH
P.O. Box 560
Newfoundland, NJ 07435
Info (973)697-4332
Fax (973)697-1928

www.snosearch.com

Puck it

Puck. Sun Valley usually has deals at the lodge in March. Check to see if they are done renovating it. Free ski locker at Baldy and shuttle buses for folks at the lodge. Worth the extra cash to stay in such a skiing historical place. (I learned to drive at the age of 8 in their parking lots, but that's a different story)

Absolutely the best snow making, so if Bogus is brown, Sun Valley will have the goods. Fantastically groomed steeps on the front. Seattle ridge lodge for lunch is epic. Wide open bowls that progressively get steeper - so something for everyone. There is heli skiing nearby and the back side has tree skiing from a massive fire a decade or two ago (I could see it but didn't ski it).

Make time to eat at the Roundhouse and enjoy Ketchum.

The Lodge is closed until 2015 for renovations so the website says.

Edd

Whistler / Blackcomb - British Columbia
Jan 18-25, 2015 FROM $1549
PROGRAM INCLUDES:
  • R/T air to Vancouver from most East coast cities
  • R/T transfers from Vancouver
  • 7 Nights lodging in Whistler Village
  • 5 of 6 day lift ticket
  • Taxes

SNO-SEARCH
P.O. Box 51092, 34 Front Street-5th Floor
Indian Orchard, MA 01151
Info (800)232-2415
Fax (413)543-2570

SNO-SEARCH
P.O. Box 560
Newfoundland, NJ 07435
Info (973)697-4332
Fax (973)697-1928

www.snosearch.com

Even without knowing the lodging details, this is a decent deal. If I was going to gamble and buy now, Whistler would be a candidate for that.