• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When are you going to start skiing this year?

skiNEwhere

I've noticed people here have different options in what really constitutes ski season. Some will start as soon as a WROD opens up, others will wait until the "real" terrain is opened, and some will even try to find some turns before anything opens up.

Been jonesing for a while now, as soon as a WROD opens up, I'll be there and ski every week possible.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If I were local, I'd be on a WROD as much as I could.

Since I have to drive 6+ hours, I'll wait until more terrain opens.

I usually start my season the first or second week in Dec.

Domeskier

I will wait until the locals have thoroughly skied in some decent lines on Satan's Stairwell.

timm

Probably end of December. I've got a Saturday class through mid-December that eats up most of my Saturday, with a baby at home tough to say to the wife "Hey I'm gonna run up the mountains on my only day off" and snow that early doesn't usually justify sick days.

Edd

I'll hold off on the WROD as long as I can stand it. I used to get out there the first day I could but now it doesn't seem worth it to me.

dlague

We are local with respect that we can get to most anything that is worth while in less than 2 hours - Killington 1 hour 40 minutes! More than likely, we will ski Killington as soon as there is top to bottom. We played the game of skiing the top when it is open but hiking up those steps at the end of the day to take the gondi back down does not seem worth it. In 2011, October 30th we went there and poached trails all the way down over and over again. Ski patrol seemed to turn their heads! Most likely will be early to mid November!

skiNEwhere

I will wait until the locals have thoroughly skied in some decent lines on Satan's Stairwell.

Due to all the avy work and cornice kicking needed to open SS, it takes a while to build a stable base. You're probably looking at late February/early March best case scenario

abc

I'm never one who go on the WROD! Being non-local is only one of the reason. The byyiggest reason being I'm not yet jonesing for skiing anyway! (yes, blasphemy!)

Between mountain biking and kayaking, I got enough to keep me busy till the mountains fully open!

MadMadWorld

Due to all the avy work and cornice kicking needed to open SS, it takes a while to build a stable base. You're probably looking at late February/early March best case scenario

They just shot an early season promo

Attachments

• 1410905455554.jpg
    1410905455554.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 89

Domeskier

Looks like they're anticipating below-average snowfall this year. Or trying to manage expectations, more likely!

wa-loaf

I'll probably wait until Wachusett gets a ribbon of death going. Once I get that out of my system will probably hold out for better conditions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Once there's top to bottom. I've gone to the River with downloading in recent years and K plenty of times in the past. Now, I'll hold steady until I can ski at one or the other TtB. I don't have any desire to walk the stairway at K.

Dickc

Much as I would love to be out on the WROD, I am going to have to wait for, GULP, groomed snow. I have developed a considerable issue with my lower back and need a fighting chance of a smooth ride to not end up in a toboggan.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Savemeasammy

Not as early as I want. My 12 weeks after surgery puts me in mid Nov, so hopefully I will be good to go by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk