• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC launches new advertising campaign to pull in Colorado skiers

AdironRider

Here's a good read about the weed tourism industry and how its really not all that:

http://alj.am/1D1zg5K

Did anyone really think a bunch of stoners were going to have their shit together enough to travel across the country to buy weed. Please.

Its never been hard to find, but it is nice that it is legal in certain states now. Noone is going to spend a G to travel to Denver or Boulder when they can find a guy down the street.

skiNEwhere

I'm not a pothead, but from what I've heard the recreational weed is crazy expensive due to the taxes. If you have a "weed card", ie, prescription, it is taxed at lower rate.

From what people here have said, the recreational weed is really just for the tourists

AdironRider

I'm not a pothead, but from what I've heard the recreational weed is crazy expensive due to the taxes. If you have a "weed card", ie, prescription, it is taxed at lower rate.

From what people here have said, the recreational weed is really just for the tourists

Its not really the taxes, its the supply. But the taxes don't help at 30% everytime it changes hands.

Rec supply is still tied to medical, and the regulations that a medical grower has. TLDR version is that recreational is basically the unused medical stuff for the most part right now. There have been a couple articles on it recently.

BenedictGomez

Anyone trying to come up with a zero proof bourbon to help someone drinking it to relax?

There's no point because it wouldn't work. You can take the THC out of marijuana and get the positive medical benefit of marijuana, but you cant take the alcohol out of alcohol. Alcohol IS the active ingredient in, well...alcohol. You can be sure that if there was a way to remove the drunken effects of alcohol while still providing a benefit of some sort, a profitable market would exist for it. Just as there's a money-making market for non-alcoholic beer, even if the perceived benefit is largely a psychological or social one.

And regarding recreational use; I really don't get your perspective. In this very thread you rail against alcohol laws, how you couldn't get two drinks at the bar in VT, a pint of high ABV beer or crush pitchers of beer while watching football with friends. Presumably, I'm guessing you wanted to get "high" yourself on alcohol, but don't like how the "man/law" gets in the way of you doing what you want to do.

1) The two drinks pertains to combination drinks which were (and are) legal everywhere, except in VT at that time. The law was in fact beyond stupid. It's moronic that you couldn't have a boilermaker the traditional way by dropping a shot into a pint of beer (i.e. 2 separate drinks), but yet mixed drinks of all forms were legal. That's just common sense, which at times is sadly uncommon. I'll never forget when I learned of this law (the exact same drink illegal one way, legal the other). I was in RJ's bar on Main Street in Burlington, and I thought the bartender was pulling my leg.

2) To each their own, but I really dont consider 8% ABV to be "high" alcohol content let alone excessive, unless you're perhaps a Coors Light or Bud Light loyalist accustomed to beer flavored h2o.

3) I never said anything about "crushing" or pounding pitchers like some deranged alcoholic, that one's invented in your mind, I simply noted it's stupid that a specific type of vessel (literally), generally enjoyed for conveniently sharing beer amongst friends, was (and I gather still is) illegal.

General observation, for a man who strongly professes libertarian leanings, you're way uptight regarding marijuana.

General observation, given I didn't state anything about marijuana beliefs one-way-or-the-other in this thread I'd say that's a tough leap. That said, I personally find anyone, be they Democrat, Republican, Libertarian or other, who is so ideologically pure that they believe in every aspect of their said group's beliefs, to be, boring at best, and likely unintelligent at worst.

BenedictGomez

Here's a good read about the weed tourism industry and how its really not all that:

Intersting read, thanks for posting.

Did anyone really think a bunch of stoners were going to have their shit together enough to travel across the country to buy weed. Please.

Its never been hard to find, but it is nice that it is legal in certain states now. Noone is going to spend a G to travel to Denver or Boulder when they can find a guy down the street.

I wouldn't be so sure, this is still very early days. People initially made MAD cash, but I think part of what happened is it opened the floodgates and the competition put a bit of a lid on profit, and as more states legalize it I'd tend to agree with your above comment. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Even more interesting are the publicly traded pot plays IMO. I steered my sister away from them a few months back when a bunch were going IPO. She wasn't happy with me when they boomed, but she was sure happy after they busted. As with all fledgling industries, there will be winners and losers, but it's just a bit too much like the Wild West (no pun intended) than "investing" right now.

skiNEwhere

I wouldn't be so sure, this is still very early days. People initially made MAD cash, but I think part of what happened is it opened the floodgates and the competition put a bit of a lid on profit, and as more states legalize it I'd tend to agree with your above comment. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Even more interesting are the publicly traded pot plays IMO. I steered my sister away from them a few months back when a bunch were going IPO. She wasn't happy with me when they boomed, but she was sure happy after they busted. As with all fledgling industries, there will be winners and losers, but it's just a bit too much like the Wild West (no pun intended) than "investing" right now.

I don't see anything wrong with the weed stocks, as long as your goal is purely speculation and you're not dumping your entire portfolio into it. I bought MJNA in November of 2012 at .11 a share and sold less than 2 months later at .32, it's all about accepting risk and not putting all your eggs in one basket. Now if you're dumping half of your 401k into it, then yes, probably not a good idea.

AdironRider

There are always outliers, but most of the tourists I've seen in shops (and I have limited experience - mostly in Crested Butte) are there for whatever reason, be it skiing, seeing the kids, whatever, and are like, hey this is awesome.

I will say that outside of the token stoner in the corner, all the folks I bought with were middle aged parents and the like, real jobs, etc. Was cool to see, but I also don't think they made their decision to ski in Colorado because they could buy weed.

snoseek

I've gotta get back to CO ASAP.

Definitely going to spend the extra money to walk into a store to make a purchase on my way through at the end of next month. Expensive, sure but sounds like lots of fun. Aint no way its leaving the state line! LEO don't play around in Utah!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Meanwhile back to Utah....

Vail is confident that they will connect Canyons with Park city Mountain resort next summer. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

I think it's slightly over a mile. Nothing a HSQ can't handle in 7-9 minutes.

ThinkSnow

Those Quebec numbers are quite startling. I know they have a ton of ski areas, but most are very small. I would not have expected Quebec to average as many skier visits if not more than California or BC for that matter.

One reason for Quebec/Montreal having those large numbers with small ski areas--> Drinking age is 18.

ThinkSnow

I work for a ski/snowboard travel agency. We bring bus loads upon bus loads of college kids to Tremblant every season because there, they can get legally intoxicated. Tremblant village has great nightlife even though the skiing is only so-so.