• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have at it!

bobbutts

We'd probably agree with the list more if we used a more simple composite of the ratings.. Like just weight terrain, challenge, and lifts and drop all the fluff.

goldsbar

I give them a lot of credit. If you actually read the blurbs for each mountain, they explain why some fairly lame areas get high rankings. The one for MRG and grooming was really good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
THEN WHY IS IT 18TH?!?! :blink:

I'll just say this, it is not a ski area survey, it is a resort survey. Killer skiing only gets you so many points in this thing. No resort to go with the killer skiing, you may not even make the list here!

+1.

It's been said a million times but I'll reiterate: These types of lists are for people that ski or ride a handful of times per year, and go to resorts for the off mountain attractions as much or even more than the skiing itself. That describes maybe .5% of the people on this site. We are not typical skiers/riders. We are the exception, the enthusiasts, and the small minority. Statistically the money behind our opinions does not buy us much clout because what we enjoy about skiing and riding is beyond the vast majority of the market. It's unfortuate, but it's true.

Very true.

We need to rev up another "AZ East Coast Resort Rankings" thread.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's ranked by the readers, which apparently prefer groomers over gnar, so I guess that's why Northstar is ahead of Squaw. But with that logic, Jackson Hole should be right there along with them.

#1 is out, and it's Whistler. No surprises there. I am surprised that there were no other Western Canadian resorts though.

The Western List, so far, is a joke as well.

30. Snowbasin
29. Solitude
28. Alta (?!)
27. Mount Bachelor
26. Taos
25. Squaw Valley (probably low rating because of their lack of snow)
24. Northstar (ditto...but they have more snowmaking I think)
23. Keystone
22. Mammoth
21. Snowbird (?!)
20. Heavenly
19. Crested Butte
18. Copper Mountain
17. Big Sky (like Snowbird and Alta is should be higher....)
16. Aspen Highlands
15. Winter Park
14. Canyons Resort (Wow. Lame. It beat out Alta, Snowbird, and Big Sky?!)
13. Whitefish, Montana
12. Aspen (Based on what I saw, it is overrated. How does 675 acres beat out Canyons at 4,000?).
11. Beaver Creek
10. Steamboat
9. Breckenridge
8. Jackson Hole
7. Park City (lame. And even lamer that they mention how folks gripe over the "lack of footrest on the lifts").
6. Snowmass (got to say I want to ski it...along with Highlands)
5. Vail (thanks to the Epic Pass no doubt...)
4. Telluride
3. Sun Valley
2. Deer Valley (no surprise)
1. Whistler

So the take away? I think this shows the resorts that "had the snow" last year or that had the big crowds. Alta at third to last is pretty lame. Colorado was a big winner here....Tahoe and Utah not so much.

skiNEwhere

7. Park City (lame. And even lamer that they mention how folks gripe over the "lack of footrest on the lifts").
6. Snowmass (got to say I want to ski it...along with Highlands)

I think that pretty much shows the exact type of prissy clientele that ski's there.

Snowmass is definitely legit. While they have the built up town to cater to all skiers Apres-ski desires, Snowmass does certainly pack a punch with the goods as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that pretty much shows the exact type of prissy clientele that ski's there.

Snowmass is definitely legit. While they have the built up town to cater to all skiers Apres-ski desires, Snowmass does certainly pack a punch with the goods as well.

I had a conference in July at Snowmass. I thought initially that it was second fiddle to Aspen. Didn't know too much about it beforehand. But all I can say is wow. Holy shit. It really reminds me a lot of Sugarloaf...one big ass mountain. I want to ski there. Aspen looked interesting for a day, but honestly it reminded me a bigger Cranmore. Good steep terrain but relatively small.

skiNEwhere

Never been to Aspen (Ajax). Will go this season though.

Snowmass has some serious vert. To the point where you're like "Am I at the top yet", and that's with detachable lifts (Part of this is due to Snowmass's diagonal layout). Aspen is impossible to get discounts for, so if you do plan on coming out try to pick one of these up http://www.aspensnowmass.com/landing-pages/classic-pass

Only downside is you have to pick it up in CO the first year.