• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scottish Independence?

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's been an interesting debate over the past few weeks. Initial results, as of 7:39pm mountain, suggest that the "no's" are leading...or at least in the three councils reporting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29263022

I spent nine months there in 2001-2002. Amazing country. Really nice folks. Beautiful country. Really different from England in many ways. Lots of natural resources and lots of open space, but not too many people. I love it there and know there is a lot of pride, but I think that it would be very difficult for them to make it on their own. Oil is going to run out eventually and they do need support from the UK for infrastructure, etc. However, apparently Scotland right now is sending a lot of tax $$$ to Westminster....more then they get back. So I could understand the urge to go it alone....

Geoff

...and the "No" vote wins. It's one thing to get some regional autonomy and it looks like that will happen. It's another thing to commit economic suicide. When the North Sea oil runs out, Scotland has a problem.

drjeff

I'll probably put on my kilt (I actually do have one!), and enjoy a few sips of a fine single malt tonight and let the 25% of my DNA that is of Scottish origin enjoy what I feel was the proper decision being made :)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
8395a70db6c93cc1377b33cdda90e169f8c662cf2978db622111f732d5512ddc.jpg

Cannonball

There was absolutely no good reason for this to pass....but I was selfishly hoping it would. The Highland games are going on here in Lincoln this weekend. I figured things would get totally wild if the "Aye" vote prevailed.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'll probably put on my kilt (I actually do have one!), and enjoy a few sips of a fine single malt tonight and let the 25% of my DNA that is of Scottish origin enjoy what I feel was the proper decision being made :)

Which is to say you're a 25% mix of...

Scottish%20medieval%20ethnicity%20map_0.jpg

drjeff

Which is to say you're a 25% mix of...

Scottish%20medieval%20ethnicity%20map_0.jpg

That whole map makes up about 99% of my ancestral DNA! Less about 1% courtesy of a many, many, many generations ago tryst with a fine Mohawk Indian woman! ;-)