• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday Valley with Pics

skiadikt

Looks like its happened more than once. Also, this perspective doesn't make it look so steep. http://www.nspwny.org/pic-hv avalanche 20021214.jpg

attachment.php

agree with dr jeff, in some cases those "slides" are due to poor technique, which is probably the case with the above. it doesn't look that steep. killington has had slides on vertigo, ovation and double dipper all of which are very steep.

Blanton

agree with dr jeff, in some cases those "slides" are due to poor technique, which is probably the case with the above. it doesn't look that steep. killington has had slides on vertigo, ovation and double dipper all of which are very steep.

The section that slid is about 38 degrees depending on how it is groomed.

The majority of this was filmed at Holiday Valley for those looking for visuals *unfortunately all mogul skiing

http://vimeo.com/77557786

http://vimeo.com/83341673

Domeskier

^^ Nice. Looks like Holiday Valley deserves the Ski Sundown award for western NY.

p_levert

The first part of the Joe Riders video was not filmed at HV. Where is that?

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com

Im tragically from Ohio too... so HV growing up was all I had until I came out east.

A couple things from my perspective...

1) the apres scene is the best I have experienced besides Killington (although Ive never been to Tremblant)
2) the mountain itself is a lot of fun, albeit not much of a challenge... the Tannenbaum (sp?) area is really nice
3) the Wall is super short but the pitch is steeper than any of KTowns double diamond headwalls

Blanton

Im tragically from Ohio too... so HV growing up was all I had until I came out east.

A couple things from my perspective...

1) the apres scene is the best I have experienced besides Killington (although Ive never been to Tremblant)
2) the mountain itself is a lot of fun, albeit not much of a challenge... the Tannenbaum (sp?) area is really nice
3) the Wall is super short but the pitch is steeper than any of KTowns double diamond headwalls

Killington rocks out- however I still give the nod to EVL due to the fact that once you are there you can walk to all of the bars without having to drive. The Killington Mountain Road on the other hand is quite spread out and full of cops.

One other thing that has yet to be mentioned is the quality of night skiing offered. Great visibility, and unlike VT/NH/ME/ADK locations the temperatures don't take a massive plummet as soon as the sun goes down. When I moved to Burlington for school it blew me away that only one ski area offered night skiing... after trying it once I quickly realized why.

SIKSKIER

This reminds me of when Cannon had one of these on Paulies Folly.Except a cat was pushing out the whale and he went for quite a ride.

MadMadWorld

People don't always understand that slides generally happen in the 30-35 degree range. Anything less than that can be attributed to poor snowmaking

catskills

Judging by those pictures they caused it intentionally.

Not all the photos were taken at the Holiday Avalanche event.

This Holiday Snow slide was not intentional. Smaller slides often happen in the North East when snowmaking of very wet heavy snow blown on the right slippery surface. Small slides from new snow-making happen more than you think.