• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday Valley with Pics

skiersleft

People here sporadically ask about Holiday Valley. Often questions/comments pop up after HV does very well in Ski Magazine's ski resort rankings (#5 in the East this year). It's a weird resort. Wildly popular in a sense (most visited ski resort in NY, with more skier visits than Whiteface, Gore, Hunter or Windham), but also relatively unknown given that it's closer to Ohio than to the East Coast. Given the lake effect, it also gets more snow, especially early season, than many resorts in New England. Vertically challenged, but horizontally robust, it's difficult to peg this hill as small or big. It's full of contradictions.

This thread is meant to explore Holiday Valley in more detail and to provide a place for other people to post pics about the resort itself, the lodges or Ellicottville. My description of the place from the ski ranking thread follows, along with some pics I took early season last year (December 3, 2013):

"The hill is vertically challenged with only 750' vertical. HOwever, it's horizontally big and skis relatively big for what it is. If you go by skiable acres, it's actually the second biggest ski area in NY after Gore. It has slightly more skiable acres than Whiteface. You can spend a day there exploring the different areas in spite of its crappy vertical because of the layout. They get a lot of snow and lake effect makes for great skiing in DEcember when many ski resorts are still trying to get their act together. There is ample tree skiing. Fun, though not overly challenging. The lodges are some of the best in the East, if not the best in the East. The quality of the food is above average for a ski resort. They have two nice slopeside hotels. They also offer night skiing.

MOre importantly, Ellicottville is one of the top 3 ski villages in the East, after Lake Placid and Stowe, IMHO. Many nice bars for apres, quality dining options and a quant walkable village. It really is a beautiful place. The combination of all of these reasons - and the fact that it's far from better skiing - is why readers rank it so highly.

Of course, the skiing itself is NOT in the top 20 in the East. They do the best they can with the limited vertical that they have. But skiing in the true top Eastern resorts is considerably better. HOwever, the product they deliver is top notch. From the mountain layout to the lifts to the lodging, to the village, to the lodges, everything is top notch. Readers put all of this together and rank it very highly. It's the most visited ski resort in NY, so it also gets a lot of people to fill out the surveys. I'll try to post some pictures of the place later.

In sum, it is what it is. And what it is is not a hill with a lot of vertical, but its a well managed, decently big in terms of skiable acres hill with great apres and a beautiful village. People who ski there love it and therefore rank it highly. The Ski Mag rankings are not solely about skiing. They are about a bunch of other things and that's why it ranks highly. If it were solely about skiing, the rankings would look quite different and HV would not crack the top 20."

Attachments

• HV1 12-3.JPG
    HV1 12-3.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 302
  • HV2 12-3.JPG
    HV2 12-3.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 302
  • HV3 12-3.JPG
    HV3 12-3.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 300
  • HV4 12-3.JPG
    HV4 12-3.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 302
  • HV5 12-3.JPG
    HV5 12-3.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 298

skiersleft

Found this picture online. This is off the Tannenmbaum lift on your right. It has to be one of the more beautiful areas I've skied in the East. The trees on skier's right are skiable, usually as early as mid-late December.

Attachments

• snow-covered-trees-tannenbaum-holiday-valley-11-22-08-large.jpg
    snow-covered-trees-tannenbaum-holiday-valley-11-22-08-large.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 295

skiersleft

Ellicotville pictures. The last one is a picture of Ellicotville with the other local ski area in the background - Holimont. Both Holiday Valley and Holimont are in Ellicottville. Holimont is a private ski area that is open to the public on weekdays and only to members and their guests on weekends.

Attachments

• EllicottvilleWinterStreetScene.jpg
    EllicottvilleWinterStreetScene.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 295
  • Eville2.jpg
    Eville2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Eville3.jpg
    Eville3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Ellicottville-Holimont.jpg
    Ellicottville-Holimont.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 292

snoseek

Looks like a lovely place. Drive through twice a year to/from west and always wanted to stop and ride MTB as I hear its good. Those trees looked awfully nice.

Savemeasammy

The town looks very charming. Sorry about the mountain, though... ;). To be real, it looks like a great intermediate/beginner mountain, which is what most of the skiing world is looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiersleft

The town looks very charming. Sorry about the mountain, though... ;). To be real, it looks like a great intermediate/beginner mountain, which is what most of the skiing world is looking for.

It's definitely not a challenging hill. But it's fun enough if you live in the general vicinity. And even good skiers are entertained - albeit not seriously challenged - by their tree skiing and commitment to letting slopes bump up. They seed bumps in one of their trails and they leave several others ungroomed to bump up routinely, so that's fun. Steep? No. Fun? Yes. Should you make a trip here when ADK's or VT/NH/ME are closer to you than Holiday Valley? No. But if you're passing by, it's worth a detour. And - yes - the village is charming indeed and well worth an overnight stop if you happen to be in this neck of the woods.

Cornhead

In the the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. In the land of 300ft mountains, the 700ft mountain is Whiteface. HV has over twice the vertical of Ohio's highest "mountain", Mad River Mountain. The fact they get a ton of snow before Erie freezes, and they have a cool, real, town, adds to the attraction for the plains dwellers.

I like HV, and have skied there a couple times, but living in Central NY, I can ski Whiteface for the same drive time. My vertically challenged lake effect depository, Snow Ridge, is 100 miles closer, cheaper, more of an old school vibe, and since Ontario is deeper than Erie, it produces LES much longer into the season.

So, for those skiers unlucky enough to live in Ohio, HV is Nirvana, count your blessings.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Savemeasammy

It's definitely not a challenging hill. But it's fun enough if you live in the general vicinity. And even good skiers are entertained - albeit not seriously challenged - by their tree skiing and commitment to letting slopes bump up. They seed bumps in one of their trails and they leave several others ungroomed to bump up routinely, so that's fun. Steep? No. Fun? Yes. Should you make a trip here when ADK's or VT/NH/ME are closer to you than Holiday Valley? No. But if you're passing by, it's worth a detour. And - yes - the village is charming indeed and well worth an overnight stop if you happen to be in this neck of the woods.

Having bumps and tree skiing certainly helps keep things entertaining. I'm sure that while I am skiing man-made groomers at my own vertically challenged local hill, skiers/riders at HV are enjoying natural snow courtesy of the lake effect.

Be sure to tease us with some early season powder pics!

JimG.

Staff member
It's choosing between Bristol, HV and Greek Peak basically for that area. Never been to Snow Ridge. There are no Everests thrown in there, I think Bristol has the most vert at 900-1000'.

I wouldn't drive to HV from home but when I'm visiting my boys in college I'll be trying each of these places for a day. Alot better than not skiing.

miskier1970

I grew up in the Albany NY area and I now live in Metro Detroit, and I have grown to appreciate what a vertically challenged ski area can do with the hill if some effort is put into it. Holiday Valley does a lot with what they have.

Cornhead

It's choosing between Bristol, HV and Greek Peak basically for that area. Never been to Snow Ridge. There are no Everests thrown in there, I think Bristol has the most vert at 900-1000'.

I wouldn't drive to HV from home but when I'm visiting my boys in college I'll be trying each of these places for a day. Alot better than not skiing.

Amen, I live less than an hour from both Greek and Elk, and they are enough to satisfy my desires between trips to the Cats and beyond. I highly recommend Snow Ridge if you get a chance to hit it after a LE storm, it's amazing how much fun 500ft of vertical can be. Another advantage, even though the lifts are slow as Hell, it's still only a 4 minute ride. Zero run-out is refreshing as well, and the price is more than right.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Breakout12

Bristol has a legit 1100' to HV's 680. I personally find it worth driving past HV to get to Bristol. I grew up skiing small places like that while longing to ski bigger areas, and now that I have the time and money to ski bigger, I will.

Bristol seems like the dark horse of NY ski areas. It is steeper and more challenging (some runs) than people realize.

JimG.

Staff member
Bristol has a legit 1100' to HV's 680. I personally find it worth driving past HV to get to Bristol. I grew up skiing small places like that while longing to ski bigger areas, and now that I have the time and money to ski bigger, I will.

Bristol seems like the dark horse of NY ski areas. It is steeper and more challenging (some runs) than people realize.

This is what I hear. 1100' vert is quite good. Very interested to ski here.

skiersleft

I've skied both. Bristol does have a legitimate 1100-1200 vertical. Definitely worth checking out. For me it skis smaller than HV because in spite of its verticals it doesn't have a lot of different ways down. As a result, I get bored there more quickly than at HV. Also, there's absolutely nothing around Bristol, so apres is not nearly as good as in Eville. Still, an underrated hill that compares well with Berkshires, Cats and the best in PA.

catskillman

Both of these areas are worth a day. If you are spending the night Ellicotiville is the best option. You can spend the night in Canandaigua while at Bristol. This is right on the lake and more of a summer resort town. HV gets ton's of day skiers from Ontario also.

Breakout12

1200'. I meant 1200'.

Not to be too much of a Bristol cheerleader, it just fits my desires right now. It is 4 hours from my home. Beyond that, it is 6-7 hours to the Laurentians, Eastern Townships, Gore, or Whiteface. We drive in the afternoon, ski 4-10, stay in Victor, go back for a half day, and then drive home. However, after having skied Gore and Whiteface last year, I will now be making more trips to Gore, at the expense of Bristol.

I agree that some might find it lacking in variety. It's good for me. YMMV. Without a doubt, HV and Eville are far more dynamic in terms of "fun" and après ski.

I should probably take this to the "underrated ski areas" thread. :grin:

Puck it

They have had an avalanche too.

P1272863-L.jpg