• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Quick Gear Question

Slow

Bought skis and bindings for my son on line.

The skis spec (and measure) at 80 at the waist. To pair with the skis I bought some bindings that speced as 85. Everything I have read says these specs should work together.

When I dry mount the bindings the brakes hold them about 1 cm off the ski.

i measured the brakes (at the joint at the base of the binding). 75mm. When I went back to the website they had dropped the 85s and only listed 75s So, I figured someone just grabbed the wrong ones.

However, now they are telling me that the "measurement" for binding spread is at the brake tips not the binding base. 1) that measurement makes NO sense to me as it it useless, 2) that number would be highly variable, and 3) in my specific circumstances it is about 81mm so it is neither the 75 or 85 they actually spec the binding at.

Anyone know how I should be measuring the binding spec?

At $70 worst case I'll just bend them to try to make them work and deal with the consequences but, am trying to determine if this gear shop is trying to feed me a load of BS.

WWF-VT

You bought the skis and bindings online and are asking questions about brakes. For a few extra bucks didn't the online shop offer to mount the bindings for you.

Slow

Nope. They need the boots to mount and his boots from last year still fit.

So, they go to the local shop to get mounted.

i know I can strip them down and unbend/rebend them. Just feeling like the online shop is trying to feed me a load of BS and trying to unload mismatched bindings

And, if you are saying that's what I get for buying online...I get it and I use local shops whenever possible and would always rather do so. But, when it domes to skis, no local shop has 2 year old models...never mind selling them at less than 50% of a ski with nothing but updated graphics. I would buy local overstock ALL DAY LONG.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Nope. They need the boots to mount and his boots from last year still fit.

So, they go to the local shop to get mounted.

i know I can strip them down and unbend/rebend them. Just feeling like the online shop is trying to feed me a load of BS and trying to unload mismatched bindings

You don't really need the boots to mount them just the measurement of the sole for most online shops that I have bought from.

Highway Star

The shop you bought from is run by liars or morons. Care to mention who it is...?

More importantly, what does it say on the binding box about brake width? Because they usually state the brake width.

Any good shop will be able to make them work. But you may pay ~$50 for a mount at a good shop.

Slow

Thank you. I'm ok paying for a mounting at a good shop (that was the plan all along...just not getting there for a couple of months). They came in clear, heavy, plastic bags not a box and the included ppwk does not state the width...I looked there first when I thought I had a problem.

My hope is the first response came from someone trying to avoid the problem so, I emailed again when I measured at the tips to, again, try to get them to do the right thing. I want to give them another chance to be honest about what happened. They were amazingly quick to respond the first time.

Highway Star

I can't remember the last time I did a mount that didn't involve custom bent brakes.

Hawkshot99

I can't remember the last time I did a mount that didn't involve custom bent brakes.

I have never had to bend any of my brakes, but hen again I get the proper gear to go together.....

What is the model of bindings that you are trying to mount to what ski?

Highway Star

I have never had to bend any of my brakes, but hen again I get the proper gear to go together.....

What is the model of bindings that you are trying to mount to what ski?

I run mostly older FKS or Salomon with narrow brakes that require bending with a vise and blowtorch. I've got some sth16 steels with 100mm brakes, but am putting them on narrower skis, so still have to swap arms.