• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Will You Remember How to Ski?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Seems to be a thought in the back of my mind every season...and yet it is never an issue. Sure I might not be able to ski quite as far or as long on the first few days, but muscle memory is great and I always get back to where I was the previous season in a short time.

Anyone else have this nagging fear at the start of every season?

4aprice

Seems to be a thought in the back of my mind every season...and yet it is never an issue. Sure I might not be able to ski quite as far or as long on the first few days, but muscle memory is great and I always get back to where I was the previous season in a short time.

Never used to think about it when young, but yes, think about it a lot now.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hammer

Yes but even after skiing for 10+ years I have a lot fewer hours on the mountain...

BenedictGomez

My first run of the year feels a tiny bit wonky, but by the time I'm down I'm usually fine.

Second run I'm good to go. I imagine it's like that for most people that started skiing pre-adulthood?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

I used to. But not for a long time. My biggest concern is conditioning. No matter how much I hike or bicycle there are certain muscle groups that don't get worked unless I either A. Ski or B. Exercise for specific muscle groups. A SKIING mag article way back in 2004 offered exercises that targeted balance muscles. That made a huge difference for me my first days out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Honestly trailboss, I read your post and thought you were crazy. But apparently others have similar issues?

I just slap em' on and go. Never had any trouble.

I am crazy :spin:

No, I know that in the past folks and I have talked about that first run and when you get off wondering, "gee, do I remember how to do this?" Some seasons I think about it...others I just go. In both cases the first run may be a bit rusty, but too bad.

skiNEwhere

I've never had that problem on the first day. It's usually when I start skiing the more technical stuff at the beginning of the year like bumps or glades where I'll start leaning back, and have to remind myself to not do that, as that was a a bad habit I had for YEARS.

Savemeasammy

A few years ago when I got back into after a 15 year hiatus, I was a bit worried. It took a run or two, but it came back easily enough. My biggest problem last year was my burning thighs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

Sometimes I wonder if I will manage to still be the best skier on the mountain. It usually only takes a run to remind me that I still got it

dlague

The only time it was an issue was the season after having ACL replacement and it was a strange feeling. Plus I did not want to damage anything again. After a few days confidence was back and was never a problem. I am curious this year since I will be on new gear after four years, honestly though not thinking it will be an issue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The only time it was an issue was the season after having ACL replacement and it was a strange feeling. Plus I did not want to damage anything again. After a few days confidence was back and was never a problem. I am curious this year since I will be on new gear after four years, honestly though not thinking it will be an issue.

That's what happened with my wife last year on her first (and only) day skiing last year. She took probably four runs and was done. She was just too scared. She's a bit hesitant this year, but we got her a pass at Alta and she is looking forward to skiing with our daughter.

Highway Star

Part of the reason I like skiing early season is you can get 10-15 days Oct-Nov, to really be back in good form by December when conditions start to improve and more advanced terrain gets open. Nothing worse than getting a 2-3ft dump in early December and having only skied a day or two to get warmed up, would rather be ready to charge. We've had a number of first day/weekend October dumps in the last decade, which is always fun, but quite challenging.

A few years ago, we got a 1ft windbuffed dump the Saturday night of Halloween weekend. On the way to the mountain Sunday, had to pull over so my friend could throw up out of the car. Brought them back to the ski house. Went up the hill and took my powder-rock skis, started traversing/hiking out to poach lower angle stuff right away. Fun but tricky, I had skied the day before. Third run my friend shows up, having not skied at all that season, though an accomplished skier. We took a few people out Launch Pad to Middle Ovation and ripped untracked top to bottom. Had to wait about 5 minutes for my friend to make it down, even on powder skis. They were pissed. We then had to hike back up the mid-lower superstar crossover and billygoat our way down a rocky lower Bittersweet, which was already getting a bit manky. Even more pissed. Good time overall though.

Last edited:

Madroch

I don't fear forgetting how to ski... But every fall i think more and more of the dangers--- mostly hitting a tree etc.... More so now that I have kids who are skiing more agressively on more varied terrain..

Smellytele

Never really think about it much. The conditioning thing comes into play. first bump run or first race a little bit but rarely have the opportunity to hit bumps or race the first few times out.