• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Studded vs. Non-Studded Tires

xwhaler

We have 2 vehicles we'll take on ski trips...when as a family we use my wife's Kia Sorento with Firestone Destination LE2s....highway all season tire but very well regarded by TireRack for snow performance (they are siped)
Last yr they did quite well for us. Wanted to get all terrains for the vehicle but they are not made in the size (235/60/18)

When I'm solo or making my 80 mile R/T commute in the snow I will be in my 4x4 Tacoma currently sporting Firestone AT's---nearly 70k on these have taken me through 5 winters.
Will be replacing this season with a more aggressive A/T, the Goodyear Duratrac...supposedly incredible in the snow and since the truck is now only driven 5k miles/yr it will be the last tire I ever buy so I'm going to spend a bit more for very good performance when I need it.

Last edited:

Glenn

Plus, I hate to see the amount of debris that Glenn could kick up into the air with studded tires while driving behind him as he's either doing donuts or peeling out going into/out of various parking lots! ;) :lol:

That doughnut thing seems to happen every now and again. ; )

bigbog

We have 2 vehicles we'll take on ski trips...when as a family we use my wife's Kia Sorento with Firestone Destination LE2s....highway all season tire but very well regarded by TireRack for snow performance (they are siped)
Last yr they did quite well for us. Wanted to get all terrains for the vehicle but they are not made in the size (235/60/18)

When I'm solo or making my 80 mile R/T commute in the snow I will be in my 4x4 Tacoma currently sporting Firestone AT's---nearly 70k on these have taken me through 5 winters.
Will be replacing this season with a more aggressive A/T, the Goodyear Duratrac..

That Duratrac looks like their best tire in decades X... Hopefully good enough in highway travel...the tread looks good enough for normal Spring mud/rocks.

xwhaler

That Duratrac looks like their best tire in decades X... Hopefully good enough in highway travel...the tread looks good enough for normal Spring mud/rocks.
I've heard really incredible things about them. Highway travel on this truck is minimal so I'm not overly worried about road noise.
Last tire I will ever buy for the truck being its an '08 and I'm only driving 5k miles/yr on it these days. It'll rust out before the tires are ready to be replaced most likely.