• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Major NH 9/27/14

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not much of a hiker at all, but decided to take a swing up to Mt. Major today (along with about 20000 other people). I knew nothing of Mt. Major and was planning on something really, really easy like Mount Agamenticus. While still pretty easy, I was pleasantly surprised that there was some pretty decent pitch and available boulders to scramble a bit on near the top.

23wnuwy.jpg

Views from the top were pretty outstanding. Similar to those while skiing Gunstock (same range). Nice day, but a little too hazy to see Washington.

243ka2u.jpg

2yoe23a.jpg

I did the Blue trail up and Yellow trail down, which is apparently 3.4 miles. It took me just about an hour and a half to complete the loop with a brief stop at the top for a few photos.

You know, early this summer a large group got lost up on Mt. Major and were the subject of much ridicule here on the forums. To be honest, I could see how folks could get lost pretty easily going off the the top. The trails aren't incredibly well marked. I could see folks ending up heading out the Belknap Ridge trail and missing the yellow trail back down to the parking lot.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's a nice hike. I did it ten years ago, but the views were amazing and yes it was pretty busy.

xwhaler

Mt Major is great. Especially if u have a half day. Ive done it about a dozen times and always enjoy it. The loop I like doing is start on left which is the Boulder Loop trail and less busy going up than the Blue trail....some good steeper sections at top
I then come down off the backside which is not as well known. It eventually hooks into the Blue trail. Another side option to extend the hike a bit is to go left just off the backside and in about 15 mins u are on top of Straightback. Views not as good of the lake but cool views to the South and West

Dhokahai1

It's helped to regentrify the area too. And it's free.
I highly recommend it for a relaxing yet fascinating "hike" in lower Manhattan. Afterwards you can head over to the lightship "Frying Pan" by Chelsea Piers to quench your thirst with a cold drink, or just enjoy the many street level cafes along the High Line???