• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Turns at Silverton

Puck it

First lift of the season spun yesterday since Timberline is closed.

10661728_10152767908890970_4760875795425584204_o.jpg

skiNEwhere

(and nice work Puck turning this back into a ski forum instead of political puke fest)

+1 I've stopped even looking at those threads now.

Sweet pic! Silverton always seems to get the goods at least once in the super early season. CO is supposed to get more tonight as well.

skiNEwhere

SSV is on my hitlist, but I've heard that they have completed isolated the Banff community due to firing like 12 ski patrollers for removing the owners son from a closed trail.

Some people have said the patrollers that have replaced them are not as experienced and there have been more inbound avalanches in the freeride area such as delirium dive. Looks like a cool place but I've definitely taken that point under consideration

Domeskier

SSV is on my hitlist, but I've heard that they have completed isolated the Banff community due to firing like 12 ski patrollers for removing the owners son from a closed trail.

It took 12 patrollers to remove some kid from a closed trail? There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm afraid to make it lest this monster child tracks me down and rips me to shreds.

skiNEwhere

It took 12 patrollers to remove some kid from a closed trail? There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm afraid to make it lest this monster child tracks me down and rips me to shreds.

It's not even remotely that simple. There is a really long thread on Epicski about it. But owners son was skiing a closed trail, ski patrol took his pass, then gave it back when they realized who he was. Son tells Dad, dad fires a few ski patrollers, there is backlash, more people, veterans of the business, get fired. Lifts closed due to lack of patrol in the area. A complete clusterf#&#. They're not very popular with the Banff community as a result now.

MadMadWorld

It's not even remotely that simple. There is a really long thread on Epicski about it. But owners son was skiing a closed trail, ski patrol took his pass, then gave it back when they realized who he was. Son tells Dad, dad fires a few ski patrollers, there is backlash, more people, veterans of the business, get fired. Lifts closed due to lack of patrol in the area. A complete clusterf#&#. They're not very popular with the Banff community as a result now.

It was a situation where the owner's son and college buddies were skiing DD while it was closed. Kid gets stopped by a few patrollers on the run out. Said kid pulls the "do you know who I am?" card and argument ensues. Those patrollers were fired. Because of what happened many patrollers organized a protest by everyone calling out sick. That got the mountain mad and they fired more people. A few just stepped down to join the team of patrollers that left. They actually took Fortress mountain (it was in that crazy DiCaprio movie) and turned it into a cat operation. This is all a 1st hand account from one of these patrollers. If anyone makes it out to AB you should really check out the Fortress operation it's a great operation.