a seperate politics subforum??Can we? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I started out by banning politics in our forum, but it just seems bogus to tell people what they can and can't discuss. I removed it from the rules 3 months ago and we had our first pure politics thread today. I wasn't really left vs right but where do you get your news from. (yawn).

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Political discussions get irrationally heated and sooner or later someone gets offended. Then the complaints get directed to the mods. Please don't do it.
    Our newest rule: Don't make work for the mods.

Corollary: Don't email me and ask me to ban people.

^^Looks like it's official now, I'm an old fart.

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    So then someone might start a conservation on why a mircale plant is not legal and we cant have that lol.

There are plenty of platforms and spaces to discuss politics. To be honest I don't want to see it here which makes this place so great.

Skiing for 2017-2018 - 2 Visits

Mount Snow: 11/11/2017, 11/25/2017

Seasons Past:
    2016-2017 - 23 Visits; 2015-2016 - 17 Visits; 2014-2015 - 20 visits: 2013-2014 - 19 visits: 2012-2013 - 13 Visits;
    2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2010-2011 - 19 Visits; 2009-2010 - 16 Visits; 2008-2009 - 15 Visits

They wrestle with this on EpicSki too. It's a big hassle for the mods and it has a tendency to sour the climate. Either keep it out, or have a designated sub-forum that folks can block out/auto ignore. I don't mind a little bit of it sneaking into regular forums as long as it furthers a meaningful ski discussion. The old rule of "post only what you'd say face to face" is germane and I must say that the more folks I meet in real life on these forums, the more respectful I have become online.
    I touch on this issue in this piece about healthy forums: http://www.epicski.com/a/giving-than...ine-ski-forums

It is inevitable that some political leaning will emerge on damn near anything , that said let it be as long as the thread doesnt turn sophomoric or pedantic . Opinion is fine , Obsession is not !
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

I don't think a separate political forum has a place on here. I apologize if we've been lax on axing political discussions. Our goal as moderators is not to stifle conversation, so we may let some political discussions or comments go as long as they remain civilized, and the thread as a whole has some content/purpose that's relevant to the topics covered by this site.

Shortly before seeing this thread I locked the thread that I believe sparked this discussion. If there's more political discussions that we missed feel free to report them and we'll take a look.
    Brian

Items for Sale
    Ditto Warp's....
    ...but with obsessive views rampant in today's world I think it would make things a lot easier on the Mods if they provided a forum. Once in a while a topic doesn't have a middle of the road... Think economics(society and ski resort) and I know Pricing would be easier found in a dedicated forum...
    Last edited by bigbog; Oct 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM.
    SteveD

a seperate politics subforum??Can we?

I find it funny that most, if not all of these political discussions were actually related to issues facing the ski industry, whether it be global warming, or electricity prices affecting the cost of day to day operations.

I can't imagine how out of control it would get if there was a political forum and someone started a "who should be president in 2016" thread.

Then again, I'm not a mod and that's really not my problem. It's all a matter of if they want to deal with it, or just leave the forum untouched.
    Last edited by skiNEwhere; Oct 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM.
    2016/2017 Days - 34 (inc. 10 BC)
    2015/2016 Days - 57 (inc. 2 BC)
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47 (inc. 6 BC)

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Daddy View Post
    It is inevitable that some political leaning will emerge on damn near anything , that said let it be as long as the thread doesnt turn sophomoric or pedantic . Opinion is fine , Obsession is not !
    Wise words!

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    I find it funny that most, if not all of these political discussions were actually related to issues facing the ski industry, whether it be global warming, or electricity prices affecting the cost of day to day operations.

I can't imagine how out of control it would get if there was a political forum and someone started a "who should be president in 2016" thread.

Then again, I'm not a mod and that's really not my problem. It's all a matter of if they want to deal with it, or just leave the forum untouched.
    I think it is one thing to discuss "political issues" that have a direct impact on the ski industry, however, to have a separate forum for just political talk (war, government, foreign policy and etc) would open up a can of worms that I think could as Jim said, "sour" the whole experience. There are plenty of forums and places to discuss those sorts of things, but I think keeping this place free of it adds to the harmony. I belong to an organization, which there are two clearly big taboos to talk about - Religion and Politics. With those topics avoided and not discussed, it allows us to really enjoy everything else the group has to offer...

Skiing for 2017-2018 - 2 Visits

Mount Snow: 11/11/2017, 11/25/2017

Seasons Past:
    2016-2017 - 23 Visits; 2015-2016 - 17 Visits; 2014-2015 - 20 visits: 2013-2014 - 19 visits: 2012-2013 - 13 Visits;
    2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2010-2011 - 19 Visits; 2009-2010 - 16 Visits; 2008-2009 - 15 Visits

Thread Information