• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

a seperate politics subforum??Can we?

steamboat1

I liked this website because of the fact that political discussion is not allowed. Not that I'm adverse to political discussion but as mentioned there are plenty of other websites where I can do that. If my vote means anything I vote to keep politics out of all AlpineZone forums.

Savemeasammy

I get tired of certain members ruining threads. If you want to flame each other, just do it via private message. Most of the rest of us don't care.

Rather than locking a particular thread, I'd rather that certain members just get locked out of threads they politicize. The "one change" thread is a great example of one that got off to a good start, but is starting to go downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

Political discussion has little or no place here.

We don't allow it. not sure which thread you are referring to, but we should have caught that.

Political discussions get irrationally heated and sooner or later someone gets offended. Then the complaints get directed to the mods. Please don't do it.

Furture of the Ski Industry is not even about the OP any more

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Re the subforum idea: people will get pissed at each other and it WILL effect other forums. I don't see humans as being able to separate feelings based on the forum they are posting in.

JimG.

Staff member
Re the subforum idea: people will get pissed at each other and it WILL effect other forums. I don't see humans as being able to separate feelings based on the forum they are posting in.

+1 too much collateral damage.

jack97

So then someone might start a conservation on why a mircale plant is not legal and we cant have that lol.

btw... people have been claiming that for indoor growing, this miracle plant grows better with elevated levels of the miracle molecule in the atmosphere. They shoot for over 1000 ppm.

IMO, lots of political issues relate to the ski/ride industry. To decouple this would make this place monolithic..... we all love to ski & ride, there's so much one can talk about after that.

bigbog

Too much profit made & spread around... Maybe will remain legal in certain states, but Washington will be fighting decriminalization/legalization every step of the way... The Great Society on the hill.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It's risky to say the least. I used to be pretty active in another forum's politics board and it definitely creeps outside of the subforum, you can't really isolate it. Things are so hot-button that as someone else said, it skews your views of them even when you aren't discussing politics.Again, you can't keep politics entirely out, and I've said before politics that involves skiing or the outdoors is acceptable (like, drones flying in national parks, climate change and other weather topics, etc.) but I don't know how beneficial it is to start talking about religion, birth control, and gun control around here. Again I'm sort of agnostic on it. The rule is no politics but if people are civil I'm OK with it, if it gets out of hand we will lock a thread. That's about it.

Puck it

I use the "ignore" feature. I applied it to a couple of specific members and POOF politics disappeared from the threads I read.

You can't ignore me. We ski/ride together. I can be a little obnoxious on the lift but I have my moments.

Funky_Catskills

I still can't stand the veiled political statements that continue here.. Basically dropped just to troll a response and start the chest thumping.
Not my thing anymore..

Between that and the whole passive aggressive Droid vs iPhone thing...

I say no..

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you are referring to me regarding the iPhone, I'm hardly passive about it. :lol: ;)

I have had more issues with this phone in two weeks, than I've had with my droid in two years. What can I say; I think the phone sucks.

You happen to love it.

Opinions vary.

Funky_Catskills

Point is.. people choose sides over a freaking phone... And people want a politics board here?

And I wasn't referring to you DHS...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would suggest reporting the posts and the mods can address them. The frequent offenders may get the point that way.

and trust me, I know I've been guilty of diving into political posts myself; so you can report me when I need to censor myself as well. ;)