• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

a seperate politics subforum??Can we?

snoseek

First off I ave one key broken on my keyboard....its tat one lol.

Lately it seems like a lot of politics on ski/snowboard. I do not login in to be enlightened on political beliefs....its super lame, you've got your ideas...I got mine. No one is going to give anyone a cookie and no one is going to switc beliefs. In proper context I can see it some....but its always te same people trying derail it all into a political circlejerk.

I propose we make a place for discussions of politics/religion/govt and keep ski and snowboard strictly about ski and snowboard. Again in context articles linked ect....

Anyone else wit me?

skiNEwhere

I could see politics seeping into the regular forum.

"I'm against cannon being state owned"

"You would think that you libtard" or something along those lines

I know what you're saying though. I stopped checking those 2 other political discussions a day or two ago because of how asinine they were getting

JimG.

Staff member
Political discussion has little or no place here.

We don't allow it. not sure which thread you are referring to, but we should have caught that.

Political discussions get irrationally heated and sooner or later someone gets offended. Then the complaints get directed to the mods. Please don't do it.

snoseek

paging benedictgomez......I'll call it out ere and now. dudes like rainman for politics.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Political discussion has little or no place here.

We don't allow it. not sure which thread you are referring to, but we should have caught that.

Political discussions get irrationally heated and sooner or later someone gets offended. Then the complaints get directed to the mods. Please don't do it.

Actually, I've seen some political discussions in several threads and personally I have let them go to see if folks could handle it. So far so good. I'd be open for allowing it, but I do understand the history as to why we have discouraged such discussion.

snoseek

Actually, I've seen some political discussions in several threads and personally I have let them go to see if folks could handle it. So far so good. I'd be open for allowing it, but I do understand the history as to why we have discouraged such discussion.

But its not even an interesting discussion, just a circular debate.

It creates traffic, sure...create its own place and keep it tere.

thetrailboss

Staff member
But its not even an interesting discussion, just a circular debate.

It creates traffic, sure...create its own place and keep it tere.

True.

I do recall that one of our primary concerns was keeping this focused on skiing and outdoors sports. I support that idea but confess that we've had some political discussions in the context of those threads.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll be the first to admit I've often sucked at policing myself from not participating in political debates. I'm against the idea of having politics discussed here. Plenty of other places on the internet to have such discussions. It's clearly the agenda of some members here to crow bar in politics whenever they can.

Cannonball called that out today and he's right.

I don't think such discussions add anything to the forums.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
We're not gonna have a forum completely without politics. I'd like to see it in its own subforum instead of creeping its way into the main threads. As others have said, its boring and unfair for us non-political members to have fun skiing threads hijacked by internet politicians.

I'm all for a political subforum. Maybe make it an invite-only, police yourself, no outside involvement type of thing.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I started out by banning politics in our forum, but it just seems bogus to tell people what they can and can't discuss. I removed it from the rules 3 months ago and we had our first pure politics thread today. I wasn't really left vs right but where do you get your news from. (yawn).

Our newest rule: Don't make work for the mods.

Corollary: Don't email me and ask me to ban people.

^^Looks like it's official now, I'm an old fart.

ScottySkis

So then someone might start a conservation on why a mircale plant is not legal and we cant have that lol.

jimk

They wrestle with this on EpicSki too. It's a big hassle for the mods and it has a tendency to sour the climate. Either keep it out, or have a designated sub-forum that folks can block out/auto ignore. I don't mind a little bit of it sneaking into regular forums as long as it furthers a meaningful ski discussion. The old rule of "post only what you'd say face to face" is germane and I must say that the more folks I meet in real life on these forums, the more respectful I have become online.
I touch on this issue in this piece about healthy forums: http://www.epicski.com/a/giving-thanks-for-online-ski-forums

Warp Daddy

It is inevitable that some political leaning will emerge on damn near anything , that said let it be as long as the thread doesnt turn sophomoric or pedantic . Opinion is fine , Obsession is not !

bvibert

Staff member
I don't think a separate political forum has a place on here. I apologize if we've been lax on axing political discussions. Our goal as moderators is not to stifle conversation, so we may let some political discussions or comments go as long as they remain civilized, and the thread as a whole has some content/purpose that's relevant to the topics covered by this site.

Shortly before seeing this thread I locked the thread that I believe sparked this discussion. If there's more political discussions that we missed feel free to report them and we'll take a look.

bigbog

Ditto Warp's....
...but with obsessive views rampant in today's world I think it would make things a lot easier on the Mods if they provided a forum. Once in a while a topic doesn't have a middle of the road... Think economics(society and ski resort) and I know Pricing would be easier found in a dedicated forum...

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

I find it funny that most, if not all of these political discussions were actually related to issues facing the ski industry, whether it be global warming, or electricity prices affecting the cost of day to day operations.

I can't imagine how out of control it would get if there was a political forum and someone started a "who should be president in 2016" thread.

Then again, I'm not a mod and that's really not my problem. It's all a matter of if they want to deal with it, or just leave the forum untouched.

Last edited:

Bostonian

I find it funny that most, if not all of these political discussions were actually related to issues facing the ski industry, whether it be global warming, or electricity prices affecting the cost of day to day operations.

I can't imagine how out of control it would get if there was a political forum and someone started a "who should be president in 2016" thread.

Then again, I'm not a mod and that's really not my problem. It's all a matter of if they want to deal with it, or just leave the forum untouched.

I think it is one thing to discuss "political issues" that have a direct impact on the ski industry, however, to have a separate forum for just political talk (war, government, foreign policy and etc) would open up a can of worms that I think could as Jim said, "sour" the whole experience. There are plenty of forums and places to discuss those sorts of things, but I think keeping this place free of it adds to the harmony. I belong to an organization, which there are two clearly big taboos to talk about - Religion and Politics. With those topics avoided and not discussed, it allows us to really enjoy everything else the group has to offer...