• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ebola

abc

The thing is, every year, we got flu going around that's a lot easier to transmit. We never quarantine anyone.

Bird flu for one year was pretty deadly. Yet we never quarantine a whole plane load of people coming from Hong Kong. Why? Is it because they're coming with money rather than a nurse who came back from treating the sick?

While in Africa, Ebola's mortality rate was over 50%. Here in the US, so far only one guy died, and that's only because the hospital refuse to treat him (because he had no insurance?). Everyone else recovered.

Cannonball

FWIW, there are actually some some significant distinctions here. It might be helpful to understand those when arguing over the details. From CDC:

• Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
  • Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
There is a lot of emotion on this subject. The people who say no quarentine is needed are making the case that no one will want to travel to Africa to help treat patients because of an extra 21 days off work. Yet their employers are keeping them away from patients when they return.
The CDC has a recomended graduated volintary .
The Military is using quarentine.

So a Compromise . If you return and refuse volintary Q..and and at some point become symptomatic , You get the bill for everything related to your chain of contact.
While Dr Spencer did not infect anyone, I'm sure the Bowling alley where he went or the Coffes shop he visited lost some buisness!

drjeff

The thing is, every year, we got flu going around that's a lot easier to transmit. We never quarantine anyone.

Bird flu for one year was pretty deadly. Yet we never quarantine a whole plane load of people coming from Hong Kong. Why? Is it because they're coming with money rather than a nurse who came back from treating the sick?

While in Africa, Ebola's mortality rate was over 50%. Here in the US, so far only one guy died, and that's only because the hospital refuse to treat him (because he had no insurance?). Everyone else recovered.

And as of now, the US has both an extremely limited supply of the drugs that work "most" of the time on Ebola AND a limited number of treatment facilities that are able to rapidly handle infected patients.

In ski terms this is like saying you'd want to bring a 60-70 degree weather pattern in right after a 2 foot dump of blower quality powder on top of a late February base. Can you "survive" it? Yup! Do you want to go through it if you don't have too? Nope!

ctenidae

I just spent 3 days in Atlanta, drove by the Emory hospital twice. Do you think I might have gotten Ebola there? Maybe I'll self-quarantine, at least out of the office, for 3 weeks just to be sure.

bvibert

Staff member
I just spent 3 days in Atlanta, drove by the Emory hospital twice. Do you think I might have gotten Ebola there? Maybe I'll self-quarantine, at least out of the office, for 3 weeks just to be sure.

Might want to make it 4 weeks, just to be on the safe side.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Last edited: