• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ebola

ctenidae

I seriously doubt any African country with an Ebola problem is going to be able to restrict travel in any way shape or form. They can't even convince most people that Ebola exists, is avoidable, and isn't a government conspiracy.

That said, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the idea of checks in US airports, since it'll be one more intrusion, one more delay, one more eroded freedom. And, like most of these types of things, while the intent is good, once the problem passes the routine will remain. Now, if it'll stop the spread of zombies, maybe I'd be OK with it.

In any case, refer back to the image at the start of the thread.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I watched the CDC press conference all I could think about was this scene
[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+airplane+pinochio&FORM=VIRE7#view=detail&mid=825D1202711583D2CAEB825D1202711583D2CAEB[/video]

deadheadskier

Staff member
attachment.php

While I'd like to believe this to be 100% true, I have my doubts. I'm guessing there's a small airborne contagious component to it. As in, close proximity.

The reason I question the above is we've had two American doctors become infected. I'm certain those two gentlemen were trained extensively in medical precautions. I know I was during my 2 year clinical internship in a hospital.

If it's as simple as what is stated above, those docs had to act in a very careless fashion to catch the disease.

bigbog

They're getting some of the military involved for enforcement.....a little late...y/n?...guess never too late..but... sure would like someone take steps to protect the public and deal with high-class business flyers' shaken psyches after the fact...

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Military involvement? Why? ....A Cameraman is now infected ? Not exactley close contact job.
The idea of quarenteen in ones house is not a great idea. They use the plumbing drainage system in the house which is connected to the Municipal sewer system, a perfect environment for bacteria/ viruses .

Funky_Catskills

Oh shit.. we are all going to die...

Been nice knowing everyone...
Maybe we can get some turns in before the apocalypse.. That's my hope at least...

Edd

I've caught maybe one cold in the last eight years. I'll selflessly donate my superblood for humankind. This is my destiny.

Funky_Catskills

I got my flu shot... Let's do this thing...
Mainly got it because I'm heading to the west coast to see Phish.. :)

Tin

I love the attention spans in the U.S. and the rhetoric the media uses (see Weather Channel, Fox, or MSNBC).

Meanwhile 15,000-30,000+ people will die in the U.S. from the flu this year. If Ebola hits a hundredth of that in the U.S. I will buy everyone ITT a beer. More kids will also die from things like measles, whooping cough, etc. because their parents do not understand basic biology and chose not to vaccinate their kids in fear of Autism. My favorite being HPV vaccinations suddenly make children "mentally retarded".

Puck it

I love the attention spans in the U.S. and the rhetoric the media uses (see Weather Channel, Fox, or MSNBC).

Meanwhile 15,000-30,000+ people will die in the U.S. from the flu this year. If Ebola hits a hundredth of that in the U.S. I will buy everyone ITT a beer. More kids will also die from things like measles, whooping cough, etc. because their parents do not understand basic biology and chose not to vaccinate their kids in fear of Autism. My favorite being HPV vaccinations suddenly make children "mentally retarded".

Most people only care what celebrities and sports personalities are doing. And then the attention span is measured in
microseconds.

Cannonball

My daughter is still appealing to us to travel to Uganda in January for a college-study program. How many ways can we say no?

Uganda is ~3,000 miles from where the ebola outbreaks are. If there was a disease in California it wouldn't prevent me from traveling to Florida. Spain is closer to the outbreaks than Uganda is, are people concerned about going to Spain?

Funky_Catskills

I bet more kids die of hunger in the US then will die from ebola...

Tin

Most people only care what celebrities and sports personalities are doing.

Sadly the whole "anti-vaccine" movement appears to be a social thing as well. Check out the rates of children/teens unvaccinated in L.A., the majority don't live in south-central.