• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ebola

Puck it

Uganda is ~3,000 miles from where the ebola outbreaks are. If there was a disease in California it wouldn't prevent me from traveling to Florida. Spain is closer to the outbreaks than Uganda is, are people concerned about going to Spain?

Not confirmed yet, but there goes that theory.

[h=1]Man dies from Ebola-like Marburg virus in Uganda[/h]

drjeff

That's the scary thing about Ebola - it lays "dormant" so to speak for 2+ weeks, which can allow plenty of time for those infected (who often feel relatively "normal" during the incubation phase) the ability via the modern extensive travel networks we have worldwide to get far from its epicenter before becoming contagious and then potentially creating "sub colonies" of infection across the globe.

Add in the fact that Ebola falls into the general classification of what's known as a hemoragic fever, which tend to have high rates of mutation and you've got one scary recipe for a potential global pandemic since where its epicenter is just doesn't have anywhere close to the medical facilities to contain it. And that goes for a large number of countries worldwide

jack97

the modern extensive travel networks we have worldwide to get far from its epicenter before becoming contagious and then potentially creating "sub colonies" of infection across the globe.

yep.... more troubling is that a scientist with a background in biology can not make this connection.

Geoff

I bet more kids die of hunger in the US then will die from ebola...

No, the kids will die from eating dollar menu food, junk food, crap high fat/junk carb free school breakfasts & lunches, and grocery store processed food paid for with their EBT card. Unless there's parental neglect going on, nobody starves in the United States.

Tin

No, the kids will die from eating dollar menu food, junk food, crap high fat/junk carb free school breakfasts & lunches, and grocery store processed food paid for with their EBT card. Unless there's parental neglect going on, nobody starves in the United States.

LOL

There are 8 million elderly citizens who are unable to put food on the table because of inefficient community and state resources and the possibility of their own limited cognitive functioning.

I don't mind paying $38 a year to help fund food stamps. Guess I'm another sucker.

steamboat1

So we suddenly have children across the country dieing from some type of respiratory virus. Thousands of young children crossing our southern border & then being dispersed around the country sitting in classrooms with our children. What could possibly go wrong? Coincidense?

drjeff

So we suddenly have children across the country dieing from some type of respiratory virus. Thousands of young children crossing our southern border & then being dispersed around the country sitting in classrooms with our children. What could possibly go wrong? Coincidense?

The best way to avoid catching an infectious disease is to NEVER get close enough to it to allow the possibility of it spreading from a host in the 1st place!!

Geoff

I don't mind paying $38 a year to help fund food stamps. Guess I'm another sucker.

I have no issue with ~20% of my tax dollars going to fund the safety net. I just think that the kinds of food people are allowed to buy with an EBT card should be limited. I look in the grocery cart and see soda, chips, cookies, and high fat/high salt frozen microwavable garbage. 30 years from now, my tax dollars are going to fund Medicaid to treat their diabetes and heart disease.

skiNEwhere

I have no issue with ~20% of my tax dollars going to fund the safety net. I just think that the kinds of food people are allowed to buy with an EBT card should be limited. I look in the grocery cart and see soda, chips, cookies, and high fat/high salt frozen microwavable garbage. 30 years from now, my tax dollars are going to fund Medicaid to treat their diabetes and heart disease.

+1000000

The sad reality is that junk food is much cheaper to get and easier to prepare than a well balanced, healthy meal.

Rowsdower

So just learned that ZMapp is cocktail of three antibodies against ebola viral proteins. This means there's a much lower chance of the treatment becoming ineffective due to mutation since the chance of all three targets being effected by mutation is negligible.

Pretty cool. I'm sure it impacts effectiveness, but more targets will probably be identified. The key issue is ramping up production of the drug. Right now it can only be produced in small quantities for research. I wonder if they couldn't move to a more efficient culture method. We use bacterial cell culture to produce protein. If they've identified the genes encoding the antibodies, which I"m sure they have by now, they can simply transfect a cell line that typically generates a lot of protein. Last I heard they were using tobacco plants which I've never heard of using for protein production.

ScottySkis

It is horrible death and diesese! Overall very little percentage of ppl have been catching this so far. news makes it scary

skiNEwhere

How are they contracting it in protective if not an airborne disease?

I don't know....but it seems like you can catch it outside of these parameters (below), which is pretty scary. I don't think any one agency actually understands how it is transmitted or replicated, or if they do, they aren't making it public to prevent mass hysteria. There's more to this than meets the eye.

attachment.php