• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ebola

Funky_Catskills

These days people try to control people with fear..
That is what this is about - controlling us with fear.

It worked great after 911 and we ended up fighting costly wars - and they continue down that path.

I refuse to play into it... Makes me sad that people allow this to happen.

twinplanx

Few times a year...
Just to embarrass people that think snowboarders can't ski and for the bumps.....

That's mighty...funky? of ya. Lol for what its worth, I'm enjoying the new profile/persona. Don't get caught up in the BS.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Puck it

Hagel orders quarantine for troops returning from West Africa.

WTF. I just do not get this administration.

hammer

Hagel orders quarantine for troops returning from West Africa.

WTF. I just do not get this administration.
Are you saying there shouldn't be a quarantine? Guess I don't see an issue with it as long as it can be some kind of mandatory home confinement combined with outside monitoring. May not be much of a risk but I don't like the idea of a person who may or may not be infected traveling around in the US.

Puck it

Are you saying there shouldn't be a quarantine? Guess I don't see an issue with it as long as it can be some kind of mandatory home confinement combined with outside monitoring. May not be much of a risk but I don't like the idea of a person who may or may not be infected traveling around in the US.

My point is that commander in chief is not for quarantines, but his underling is imposing one. I am for them BTW.

ctenidae

I'm not against the function of the quarantine, particularly for troops that may have been working in high risk areas, such as hospitals or treatment facilities. I think calling it a quarantine is a bit overblown. Segregated observation, maybe?

Puck it

I'm not against the function of the quarantine, particularly for troops that may have been working in high risk areas, such as hospitals or treatment facilities. I think calling it a quarantine is a bit overblown. Segregated observation, maybe?

And so are the volunteers in high risk areas and they are not "quarantined".

ctenidae

And so are the volunteers in high risk areas and they are not "quarantined".

The volunteers should probably be self-quarantining, maybe stay out of high risk zones for 21 days before boarding the flight home. Seriously, no trained and knowledgeable person should ever be travelling back from a high risk zone unknowingly carrying the virus.

"Gosh, I wonder if, after spending a month surrounded by Ebola victims, I might have contracted the virus. Oh well, I'll check once I get home." If there's a question whether you might have it, be responsible and wait it out.

Puck it

Sadly the whole "anti-vaccine" movement appears to be a social thing as well. Check out the rates of children/teens unvaccinated in L.A., the majority don't live in south-central.
We have a friend that didn't get hteir son vaccinated and she is a chiro. He is in college now. I don;t know how he went to school or college without them. My kids had to get the chicken pox one even though they may have had it.

Puck it

The volunteers should probably be self-quarantining, maybe stay out of high risk zones for 21 days before boarding the flight home. Seriously, no trained and knowledgeable person should ever be travelling back from a high risk zone unknowingly carrying the virus.

"Gosh, I wonder if, after spending a month surrounded by Ebola victims, I might have contracted the virus. Oh well, I'll check once I get home." If there's a question whether you might have it, be responsible and wait it out.
Agreed. The charities that they are there for should be doping this.

ScottySkis

politicans are using this for being elected so stupid putting ppl way in CT for 21 days with a police officer at someone door ordered from Governor who decided this in early oct. on the news last night. person called from his house. He never had been sick , he went to a the country where the sick are but he in the internet business ebloa online. Then he was negative on a test but orders from the gov. of CT says that anyone from those countries must be quartine for 21 days . this is happended to several ppl in a several states it ricudulors.

drjeff

politicans are using this for being elected so stupid putting ppl way in CT for 21 days with a police officer at someone door ordered from Governor who decided this in early oct. on the news last night. person called from his house. He never had been sick , he went to a the country where the sick are but he in the internet business ebloa online. Then he was negative on a test but orders from the gov. of CT says that anyone from those countries must be quartine for 21 days . this is happended to several ppl in a several states it ricudulors.

The thing is Scotty, even though those that went to a country where ebola is, even if those people weren't in the areas where the outbreaks have occurred, they had to get back to the US. And in today's world, that's going to involve a plane ride 99% of the time. You don't know where all those OTHER people on that plane were and if they are, or aren't contagious. That combined with the fact that while the know ways in which ebola does spread, we're not 100% sure that we know all the ways in which it spreads.

It is much easier to "contain" a few individuals who POTENTIALLY could be infected (but likely aren't) than have that person potentially come into contact with 10's, 100's or even 1000's of others and potentially infect them. You'd go from what we have right now, which is a relatively "small" population in this country who has been either infected or potentially infected, a population size that you can "easily" control and treat to potentially a situation where you have a population size that is effected by ebola that is far more challenging, if not down right impossible to manage, and with the time frame of this virus, and it's virulence you could see massive casualties in less than the time it takes for a ski season to go from opening day to closing day