• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2014-2015 TJ MAXX & Marshalls thread

bruno1

Cloudveil

Re: Cloudveil

I have not seen any of their stuff lately. L9 used to carry a lot of their overstock items at ridiculously low prices.
Yes they did have some cloudveil gear on that site but the company went downhill after cloudveil moved out of Jackson Hole and was sold by owner Steve Sullivan to a company out of Swampscott Ma, yes Swampscott. I think the company that bought them is mostly a sailing/water sports Co. That's why you don't see much of their stuff around. The guy that originally sold the company started another company out of Jackson called Stio, pretty quality type stuff

〽❄❅

Hard to say how much STP is affecting in store merchandise.

I hate shopping for clothing online or from a catalog unless it is for something i already own or checked out in a store. I end up buying stuff i didn't intend to buy, stuff which i otherwise would have passed over online when i come across the physical thing in these discount stores.

Some locations just don't get much of the good stuff of anything.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes they did have some cloudveil gear on that site but the company went downhill after cloudveil moved out of Jackson Hole and was sold by owner Steve Sullivan to a company out of Swampscott Ma, yes Swampscott. I think the company that bought them is mostly a sailing/water sports Co. That's why you don't see much of their stuff around. The guy that originally sold the company started another company out of Jackson called Stio, pretty quality type stuff

Interesting. That explains two things--why so much Cloudveil stuff was "dumped" a few years back at cheap prices and where Stio came from. IMHO Stio is OK, but very pricey.

bruno1

It is a pricey but if it's quality gear and a great warranty I don't mind to much. Arc'teryx is my personal favorite and they have a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

〽❄❅

...i'll do pricey (not MSRP pricey), if a last option for fit, form and function. I can't deal with uncomfortable neck lines, thats the worst, and sleeve seams riding up my pits, especially so when it comes to layering!

thetrailboss

Staff member
〽❄❅;868579 said:
...i'll do pricey (not MSRP pricey), if a last option for fit, form and function. I can't deal with uncomfortable neck lines, thats the worst, and sleeve seams riding up my pits, especially so when it comes to layering!

To be fair I've only read their catalog but not seen anything in person.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
〽❄❅;868650 said:
...was a generalization, i never heard of Stio.

😄

No, I started getting their catalogs a few years ago. Saw they were in J-Hole and thought that it seemed odd because J-Hole had Cloudveil. I thought that the town was too small for two companies.

Mildcat

I bought a Helly Hansen Motion Jacket at the Northborough store for $199. They only had green but I happen to like green. :)
Nice jacket though, HH's version of G-Tex, Prima Loft insulation, thumb loops, detachable hood.

mogulmom

So glad I found this thread. The snow event at TJX stores has slowly disappeared. Now I know why - STP! I use to be able to dress the family hunting each location. Afraid to dress the kid from STP on line - just growing too fast. Oh well, plan B is on. Happy Trails...
This is the thread where we post the annual deals at TJ MAXX and Marshalls (same ownership FYI).

Please post WHICH location the deal you found is located at, and the price. Happy Hunting!

The Sneak

My local tjx had a couple of nice marmot zip ups good for après ski but that's about it.

The few ski jackets they did have looked like something I might have worn in 1994

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmcunni

newtown ct - no jackets but they did have a few pairs of ski pants. nice looking marmot for $100 ish but lime green and i'm not a good enough skier to wear those.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have probably made 40 trips into TJ Max stores over the past five years in hopes of spending some money. I have spent exactly $35 on one set of gloves. Everything else I've seen is either total crap or made for 6'5" 300# men.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have probably made 40 trips into TJ Max stores over the past five years in hopes of spending some money. I have spent exactly $35 on one set of gloves. Everything else I've seen is either total crap or made for 6'5" 300# men.

It's not what it used to be for outdoor gear

Rushski

Owned by the same company that owns Sierra Trading Post, so they probably get the better stuff...

〽❄❅

Just found the Yeti Ambition down hoodie at Tjmaxx. Box baffled 169 grams of 800+ fill European Crystal goose down from the Polish mountains and a super lightweight "breathable and water resistant" fabric made by Toray in Japan. I'm thinking it could make for quite a warm mid-layer under a shell, it is certainly sleek fitting enough -

Yeti Ambition Ultralight Down Jacket​
The lightest and most compact down products in the world.
· almost weightless

· H-chamber construction
· feels like silk
· pure european goose down
· breathable, insulating and water-repellant fabric
· ultra compact
· big inner pockets
· very durable woven fabric

Size: XS-XL L= 380g
Material: Next to Nothing
shell & lining: 100% Nylon
Filling: Crystal Down 800+ European Down 95/5
Colour: black/light grey, treetop/light grey​
£

http://www.expeditionkithire.co.uk/yeti-down-clothing-and-sleeping-bags.html

I don't know much about Yeti, found this review of another jacket which highlights many of the same features as the Ambition -
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/outdoor-features/just-in---yeti-purity-jacket/13694.html