• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Caps

2knees

stupid question but i shot the tip cap off of one of my skis already and the other one has 2 missing rivets so that one will go soon also. Can these be replaced? i'm worried about the tips peeling at some point or are they purely a cosmetic thing.

Rushski

Depends on the ski. If the cap comes off completely, I am to believe that it may let the ski delaminate over time...

Not sure though.

Goblin84

yeah, i am not sure either. however I am interested in finding out so if you get an answer let me know.

I know i just got a second hand pair of ski's from this guy who is a nasty bump skier (used to be on the circut). he taught up at waterville and cannon for a couple years... anyway his tips are chewed up beyond belief. ski's are still holding up though. they are a pair of Rossi's

bvibert

Staff member
yeah, i am not sure either. however I am interested in finding out so if you get an answer let me know.

I know i just got a second hand pair of ski's from this guy who is a nasty bump skier (used to be on the circut). he taught up at waterville and cannon for a couple years... anyway his tips are chewed up beyond belief. ski's are still holding up though. they are a pair of Rossi's

Dan DiPiro? Good guy, posted on here a bunch last season.

As far as the tip protectors go I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think they're mostly cosmetic. Some skis don't have anything on the tip at all... Besides in the unlikely event it does cause any damage you'll just have an excuse to buy a new pair. ;)

Greg

Staff member
I've seen Pat's skis. I would worry about tearing an edge out more than delaminating. If you want to preserve these skis look into getting the caps replaced. I can't imagine it being a big deal. But as Brian points out, it might be an excuse to just beat them into submission and pick up something new...

2knees

yeah the edge blowing out or delamination were what i was worried about. the cap covers the exposed area of what little sidewall there is after the edge ends. And where the rivets blew out the ski is exposed. New skis sound good if thats the case.

Goblin84

Dan DiPiro, thats the man. He works with my roommate. been skiing a few times with him, great guy