• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

And the hits just keep on comin'.....Steamboat sues SLC

skiNEwhere

If there is a "this decade in skiing" for 2010, it will be remembered for all the lawsuits.....

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – A Colorado ski resort says Salt Lake City can’t market itself as Ski City USA because the winter sports slogan is too similar to their decades-old nickname for Steamboat Springs.
Steamboat Ski Resort is suing Utah tourism officials, claiming a $1.8 million campaign designed to lure tourists from Colorado violates their Ski Town, U.S.A. trademark.
“They’re trying to leverage the value we worked hard to create for their own commercial benefit,” resort spokesman Rob Perlman said.
Visit Salt Lake, the tourism-promotion group that created the campaign, declined to comment on the suit Wednesday, Communications Director Shawn Stinson said.
The package of online and print ads emblazoned with the new Ski City logo was announced last month in a press conference that drew local elected officials as well as tourism authorities and ski resort executives.
The name is designed to tout the Salt Lake area’s restaurants, bars and night life a short drive from four resorts: Alta Ski Area, Brighton Resort, Snowbird Ski Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort.
The trademark infringement suit filed in Denver by the Steamboat Ski Resort and Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club names those four Utah resorts and Visit Salt Lake.
The lawsuit asks a federal judge to stop Salt Lake from using the Ski City brand and seeks unspecified damages and any profits they make from the name.
No hearings have been scheduled in the case.
In September, Visit Salt Lake President Scott Beck said the new campaign is absolutely aimed at luring skiers away from Colorado, which annually registers about three times more skier visits than Utah, according to figures from the National Ski Area Association. Last season, Utah had 4.1 million day visits from skiers and snowboarders – compared to 12.6 million in Colorado.
Vicki Varela, managing director of the Utah Office of Tourism, said her office’s research has shown that more than half of people who are shown a picture of Salt Lake City’s skyline with the mountains behind it think it is Denver.
The campaign “gives us the story that we deserve to have on the national stage,” Varela said last month.
The Ski City marketing is paid for by the private nonprofit Visit Salt Lake, which gets its revenue from a tax visitors pay when they stay at hotels. It isn’t meant to replace the long-running statewide slogan, “The Greatest Snow on Earth,” which is on Utah license plates and used throughout promotional materials.
The ads don’t include three resorts near Park City, Utah, which are also a short drive from Salt Lake City. Colorado-based ski industry titan Vail Resorts Inc. last month purchased Park City Mountain Resort in a move that put an end to a legal battle between the two companies. It also paved the way for the creation of what could be the country’s largest resort because Vail also operates the adjacent Canyons ski area.
Beck said the campaign wasn’t a response to Vail’s expansion in the market or an attempt to draw skiers from other Utah resorts.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/10/08/steamboat-ski-resort-sues-over-salt-lake-ski-marketing/

BenedictGomez

I dont know much about the various Utah skiing sagas, but I feel like I should from an entertainment perspective.

I envision it as a skiing version of a soap opera like Dallas.

skiNEwhere

How much is intrawest paying their lawyers? Steamboat is really quick to issue cease and desist letters for anyone using their trademark "Champ@gne Powder". Someone on this site said a while back they were going to issue a C&D to a Vermont ski area for using their trademark, only to realize they were actually saying "Champlain Powder"

thetrailboss

Staff member
In my opinion this lawsuit is only creating more positive publicity for SLC.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

In my opinion this lawsuit is only creating more positive publicity for SLC.

Excellent point.

I mean, I doubt many people will even find out about this lawsuit, but even if a few thousand learn of the SLC marketing campaign it's just free publicity.

skiNEwhere

Ya think? I view it as super DB'ish, but perhaps that's just my view.

I think it is too.

There's always that saying though "there's no such thing as bad publicity". I'm sure steamboat will use their copyrighted phrase as many times as possible to make sure the masses hear it too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
And steamboat

Maybe....in the sense that you said that any publicity is good publicity. But it is a pretty lame move and I think that it will turn a lot of folks off.

And they drew attention to SLC and their "new" tagline. Believe it or not but SLC and Utah is still largely an "unknown" for a lot of skiers and riders. Even after the Olympics. So they've got nothing to lose. There were a lot of headlines today....locally and in the industry. More to come nationally. The theme is a Colorado Resort town shooting at a new "upstart kid". Or to put it another way Steamboat feels threatened by SLC.

VTKilarney

If Salt Lake City was smart they would say that they had no idea that Steamboat used the trademark because Steamboat is so damned remote.

Domeskier

I think this suit needs to be settled by ski-off. At the undisputed Ski City USA - West Hartford CT. On Satan's stoop. With the winner to be henceforth know as Sundown West!

jaytrem

Colorado gets 12M + skier visits per year to Utah's 4M.

They also have twice the ski areas and probably quadruple the terrain. Utah is unknown to skiers like the Yankees are unknown to baseball fans.