• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guns firing?

catsup948

Interesting weather pattern coming up. Next four nights could be prime snowmaking nights at both Sunday River and Killington. Next week isn't looking great for keeping snow though so we may have a wait a bit longer.

steamboat1

Killington has opened for a day or two in the past & then closed. They last did this in the 12/13 season opening Oct.13 & then closing on the 15th. They didn't open again until the first week in Nov. If given the opportunity I think they'd go for it.

Savemeasammy

Nighttime temps look ok starting on the 18th. They daytime highs might be too much though...

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Temperatures look warm for the next two weeks. It's impossible to forecast beyond that.

14wvw2f.png

2upcxo2.png

dlague

Yup I pointed that out in another thread! Maybe if wildcat wanted to go for possibly but the base temps might be an issue.

WzGy44

Yup I pointed that out in another thread! Maybe if wildcat wanted to go for possibly but the base temps might be an issue.

That would be awesome but they have never shown any interest in opening early. Ever. But who knows, they did just spend a boatload of money on snowmaking.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That would be awesome but they have never shown any interest in opening early. Ever. But who knows, they did just spend a boatload of money on snowmaking.

They did spin the lift 7 or so years ago with the freak October storm. Different ownership then though.

steamboat1

Snowmaking Plan
Love fall and all but wearing boots around the office is getting old... We are watching temperature trends and anxious to fire up the snowmaking system in the Northridge area to get the season going. There is a lot going on around the snowmaking "barn" with installation of our tower guns and assembly of portable snow guns. Excitement level is high with the addition of the 400 new snow guns to add to our system and production flexibility. Keep checking back as I will update any changes in weather and intent to "go for it"! My world wouldn't feel right if I don't get to ski in October!
JT
Director of Mountain Operations

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
dlague said:

WzGy44 said:

They did spin the lift 7 or so years ago with the freak October storm. Different ownership then though.

Almost 9 years ago the stars were aligned (or should I say the Hurricane and the cold front) and produce one of the craziest storm I've seen. You know it's good when the whole mountain goes from 0 base to entirely skiable on any trails.

It was, without a doubt, Wildcat offered on open day the best Eastern liftserved October ski day EVER !!! :-D:-D

If you didn't see pictures from that day...here is my old TR. I wish earlier season skiing to be that good more often.

[h=2]Wildcat, NH – October 28-29, 2005[/h]
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2005/10/30/wildcat-nh-october-28-29-2005/

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Oh yeah, back to 2015. Steamboat mentioned the possible noise at Kmart. There is the best snowmaking window since late September. I wouldn't bet the house on it, but I wouldn't be surprise if someone would spin before the end of the long weekend. They might also be a serious dusting tonight in the higher peak in NVT and Daks. I'm sure some people have their rock boards ready.

WzGy44

Almost 9 years ago the stars were aligned (or should I say the Hurricane and the cold front) and produce one of the craziest storm I've seen. You know it's good when the whole mountain goes from 0 base to entirely skiable on any trails.

It was, without a doubt, Wildcat offered on open day the best Eastern liftserved October ski day EVER !!! :-D:-D

If you didn't see pictures from that day...here is my old TR. I wish earlier season skiing to be that good more often.

[h=2]Wildcat, NH – October 28-29, 2005[/h]
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2005/10/30/wildcat-nh-october-28-29-2005/

Oh 2005...that was a great year for snow. But not the norm. Back to this year and it's consistent 60-70 degree highs in October :(