• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Glade in New England

catsup948

By region for me. My experience in new hampshire is limited since 2004.

Maine- Casablanca 3 and 4, Dark Wizard @ Saddleback
Honorable mention All glades @ Black of Maine

Northern NH- Carter Notch Glades @ Black
Central NH- Not Too Shabby @ Ragged

N Vermont- Beaver Pond @ Jay

C VT- Anarchy @ Killington

S VT- Goniff @ Magic
Honorable Mention- Orion @ Bromley

Massachusetts- East Glades, Blizzard Island @ Berkshire East, many other secret spots and what not

rocojerry

the best ones still out there, unknown, unnamed, untracked. Even if I found it, I couldn't tell you how I got there. And even if I did, it wouldn't be as good the second time.

jimk

This is a great thread for us tourists from down south. I've skied some of the places mentioned, but not sure since it's usually during a quick one-day visit where I've never been before.

Cloudsplitter Glades at Whiteface:
whiteface cloudsplitter drop off - Copy.jpg
Paradise icefall at MRG:
Paradise glade at MRG.jpg
Good snow between trails by Bubblecuffer at Sugarloaf:
mdf sugarloaf pow.jpg
Casablanca at Saddleback, not my picture, but too fun not to share:
50969583bb008.jpg
Not New England, but possibly prettiest glade I've skied: Castle Creek Trees, Sierra at Tahoe:
sierra castle creek trees.jpg

BeefyBoy50

Cloudsplitter is nice and gets reasonably steep in sections too, but i didn't mention it because i wasnt sure if NE meant northeast or new england

dlague

Tough to put these in any order, but here goes:

Almost all of them at Jay. I love Everglade when the snow is good... a bit technical up top with steeps and chutes, but then the lower half is absolutely terrific low-angle goodness. But Vertigo, Deliverance, Valhalla, Timbuktu, Kitz Woods...I could go on and on. Never was a huge fan of Beaver Pond, more because of the crowds and often skied off conditions more than anything.

I find Killington's glades to be very underrated. I found stuff like Anarchy, Centerpiece, Growler, and the Throne to be an absolute blast. With the different skier demographic at K compared to Jay, the snow tends to stay nicer longer in the Killington glades.

Kinsman is terrific, although I don't understand why people always consider it so difficult. Maybe I've been lucky with the conditions, but to me it was an awesome medium-pitched and ultra long glade. I also love the stuff off the summit at Cannon. Cool feeling skiing through the pines after a storm...it's like a constant snow tunnel.

When the snow is good enough at Burke (rare), the entire mountain is great for woods both on and off map. Always had a soft spot for the Trials at Mt Snow...while the front face is a free for all, this area seems to get no skier volume and it's a pretty decent sized area. That and Challenger will quickly make you forget you're actually at Mt Snow. I also find the glades at Jackson Gore to be fun...low angle obviously, but nice and long.

Good list! +1

However, Highway Star has some secret stashes at K town that might be worth pursuing! They were brought up in a different thread but they might be good to add here!

jimk

Cloudsplitter is nice and gets reasonably steep in sections too, but i didn't mention it because i wasnt sure if NE meant northeast or new england
Thank you to BeefyBoy from PA for providing a gentle lesson. Learning that New York is not part of New England is essential for avoiding conflict with AZ'ers;-)

A few more nice glades I have known.

Exterminator Glades at Mt. Ellen
exterminator glade v.jpg

Catacomb Glade at Wildcat
wildcat catacomb.jpg

Not New England, Skyline Glades at Blue Knob, PA
4be1af15731fe.jpg

Not New England, but another in the prettiest category, Catherine’s off the Supreme lift at Alta, UT
alta Cathrine's Area.jpg

Attachments

• cliff hanger black mtn.jpg
    cliff hanger black mtn.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 124

Puck it

The Alta one does not look like a glade to me.

It is a bunch of chutes really.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_0264.jpg
    100_0264.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 232

4aprice

The Alta one does not look like a glade to me.

Catherine's is a great area but I don't know if I would consider it a glade. There are spots with tree shots but its mostly pretty open. Brighton is the place for trees in Utah. Canyon's and DV too but Brighton's my #1 tree spot.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Scruffy

The title of this site and the forums clearly state North East, so, just like a state's speed limits, unless otherwise posted, NE shall always mean North East.

BeefyBoy50

Thank you to BeefyBoy from PA for providing a gentle lesson. Learning that New York is not part of New England is essential for avoiding conflict with AZ'ers;-)

A few more nice glades I have known.

haha :) nice pictures too!
Especially those Blue Knob glades, they make me glad that some PA areas know how to glade. Elk Mountain certainly doesn't. Its a shame because those forests and runs have a huge amount of potential to be some of the most exciting terrain in PA.

BenedictGomez

Elk Mountain certainly doesn't. Its a shame because those forests and runs have a huge amount of potential to be some of the most exciting terrain in PA.

I skied there for the first time last season. From just one day there I realized that the best thing that could happen to that place from a skier's perspective is if the guy who owns it, sells it.

Step into the 21st century and allow tree skiing, add some snow-making, and keep the place open when you have best conditions all season rather than closing once you've "provided your contractually allowed number of ski days" etc...

BenedictGomez

That's your favorite? I like it too but it's not in my top 5 at Smuggs

No! It was meant to be a joke. I figured only people who know Smuggs would get it, because it's barely much of a glade, really just a 100 yard go-between patch of woods meant to "test-the-waters" if you want to see what glades are like. In that vein, that's my gf last year and I took the picture because it was her first ever glades experience. She was scared. lol. To be fair, there was several feet of snow on the ground. We were only supposed to get 2 or 3 inches, and when we woke up there was already about a foot on top, and it basically didn't stop snowing the entire 3-day weekend. That was on top of the fact they got a few feet in the week before. The woods between Smuggs & Stowe were absolutely choked with snow (late March 2014).

MadMadWorld

No! It was meant to be a joke. I figured only people who know Smuggs would get it, because it's barely much of a glade, really just a 100 yard go-between patch of woods meant to "test-the-waters" if you want to see what glades are like. In that vein, that's my gf last year and I took the picture because it was her first ever glades experience. She was scared. lol. To be fair, there was several feet of snow on the ground. We were only supposed to get 2 or 3 inches, and when we woke up there was already about a foot on top, and it basically didn't stop snowing the entire 3-day weekend. That was on top of the fact they got a few feet in the week before. The woods between Smuggs & Stowe were absolutely choked with snow (late March 2014).

Yea my wife doesn't ski trees much but she will do that one as well as Bermuda and stuff over there. She enjoys Doc's if we cut over from FIS.

BeefyBoy50

I skied there for the first time last season. From just one day there I realized that the best thing that could happen to that place from a skier's perspective is if the guy who owns it, sells it.

Step into the 21st century and allow tree skiing, add some snow-making, and keep the place open when you have best conditions all season rather than closing once you've "provided your contractually allowed number of ski days" etc...

Interestingly enough, some of the worst conditions I've ever skied in (nearly 50 degrees and raining in december) were at Elk and they kept a surprising amount of runs open, didn't close the mountain even though there were only like 20-30 of us. I was fairly impressed with that. Still, everything else I agree with.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

Just looking at the perfectly spaced trees they've been planting next to the trails over the past decade or so is maddening.