• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'GoPro caused Schumacher injury'- report

legalskier

"Formula 1 driver Michael Schumacher's traumatic brain injuries...were caused by a helmet-mounted GoPro camera, a French journalist in contact with the family said this week....'The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the Go-Pro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain,' Moncet said"

Full story:
http://gawker.com/michael-schumacher-brain-injury-reportedly-caused-by-he-1645544653?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Rikka

Wow.... Never thought of that....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Wait, so the actual mount impacted the helmet some way? That's not good news for gopro or other camera makers. I never even considered that being an issue, although it does make sense.

SIKSKIER

Really?
The claim was made by French journalist Jean-Louis Moncet who, after speaking to Schumacher’s son (who was on that skiing trip), went on a radio show and stated that, “The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the GoPro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain.”

Thats real convincing evidence.

But why did it explode on impact? Here the camera comes into question. The laboratory has been testing to see if the camera weakened the structure.”

Again,pure speculation from what I've read.

Experts from ENSA, the world-renowned ski and climbing academy in the French ski resort of Chamonix, have conducted tests to determine whether the presence of a solid object between a helmet colliding with a rock would weaken the structure. [...]
“The helmet completely broke. It was in at least two parts. ENSA analysed the piece of the helmet to check the material, and all was OK,” said a source close to the investigation. “But why did it explode on impact? Here the camera comes into question. The laboratory has been testing to see if the camera weakened the structure.”

This story is totally loaded with "ifs".

Smellytele

Really?
The claim was made by French journalist Jean-Louis Moncet who, after speaking to Schumacher’s son (who was on that skiing trip), went on a radio show and stated that, “The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the GoPro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain.”

But why did it explode on impact? Here the camera comes into question. The laboratory has been testing to see if the camera weakened the structure.”

Experts from ENSA, the world-renowned ski and climbing academy in the French ski resort of Chamonix, have conducted tests to determine whether the presence of a solid object between a helmet colliding with a rock would weaken the structure. [...]
“The helmet completely broke. It was in at least two parts. ENSA analysed the piece of the helmet to check the material, and all was OK,” said a source close to the investigation. “But why did it explode on impact? Here the camera comes into question. The laboratory has been testing to see if the camera weakened the structure.”

Not just ifs but also from someone who has something gain from it. Obvious heading toward lawsuit against gopro. ENSA seems to have said the helmet was constructed properly so who can we blame next? AHH - GoPro.

Puck it

I could see the camera may be concentrating the impact more. This could be tested fairly easily.

Mythbusters!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
The French journalists need to find work somewhere now that the Lance Armstrong doping scandal has been laid to rest.

JimG.

Staff member
Of course it was the camera mount, not because he hit a rock with his head.

This is why the general population has no regard for personal responsibility.

BenedictGomez

I could see the camera may be concentrating the impact more. This could be tested fairly easily.

If you took a direct impact to the camera, that's definitely the case, no need for a study.

That said, I'm filing this one under, "whoever or whatever entity has the most money to go after" shall be predetermined to be "at fault" until proven otherwise.

Puck it

If you took a direct impact to the camera, that's definitely the case, no need for a study.

That said, I'm filing this one under, "whoever or whatever entity has the most money to go after" shall be predetermined to be "at fault" until proven otherwise.

I agree.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Really?

Agreed - they are totally guessing. Although I could see it happening. This is my guess: Those camera cases have been dropped from airplanes and the camera still functions. So if the camera was between a rock and a helmet - the rock isn't going to fail - and the camera case isn't going to fail either - that only leaves the camera one place to go - through the helmet and into his skull.

MadMadWorld

They are grasping at straws. I hate suits that go after things like this. It's a camera....no one expects them to do crash testing to make sure it's "safe"

Savemeasammy

They are grasping at straws. I hate suits that go after things like this. It's a camera....no one expects them to do crash testing to make sure it's "safe"

But, but... but SOMEONE must be to blame! Surely it couldn't be the SKIER'S fault!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

twinplanx

Maybe, somehow mounting the camera compromised the helmet?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would assume the theory is the camera took all the force of the fall. That amount of force on a small hard object could push it straight through the helmet and potentially into the skull.

kartski

If the Camera Mount is ridged, I could see it developing enough torque to compromise the Helmet Shell just before the Shell hits the rock, if the mount hits first. Given the shape of the Helmet, it is always going to strike an object at a single point, whether the object is a rock or a camera. I used to be more familiar with SNELL Standards for Motor Sports which included Face Shields that could stop a .22 Short round. Years ago I seem to remember Ski Helmets aiming to protect you from a 14 MPH glancing side blow. Most of the damage is the Brain crashing into the Skull.