How wide are your skis underfoot?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

How wide are your skis underfoot?

Just curious as to what other ECers are skiing. If this needs to be moved to Gear forum so be it...I thought it would get more action here.

I have a one ski quiver, Atomic Izor 9.7 that is 72mm underfoot. I know many are going fatter even with the lack of powder in our area (or my area!). I am an intermediate/advanced and ski mostly blue/black groomers with some glades thrown in. Don't like overwhelming bumps either. Hey I'm 39 you know!!!

Anyway do most of you have something more substantial underfoot? I just wonder if it makes sense to add a second ski to my collection, something 85mm or bigger underfoot? With our mostly had packed icy conditions would a bit fatter help in that regard? I know in powder it certainly helps!

Thanks.
    Marc

"Cross-country skiing is great if you live in a small country. -Stephen Wright

72, and 85
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

my three skis are 62, 79, 89
    Quote Originally Posted by gores95 View Post
    I am an intermediate/advanced and ski mostly blue/black groomers with some glades thrown in. Don't like overwhelming bumps either.

SNIP

I just wonder if it makes sense to add a second ski to my collection, something 85mm or bigger underfoot? With our mostly had packed icy conditions would a bit fatter help in that regard?
    no

you want edge grip on icy groomer conditions? check out the waist of skis being used by pro racers for slalom and GS. race skis are still under 70mm under foot. certainly no need to go above 75-79 max if you ski mostly groomers.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

67, 72, 79

70 and 78...the 78 is as wide as I would go for skiing in the east.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32
    17/18 Season 5

80, 83, 99, 115

115 not used on EC, but have used 99 a couple of times with decent results.

Items for Sale
    64 and 75
    Live, Ski, or Die!

78 and 89. After skiing on the ones with a 89mm waist for the first 10 or so days of the season it was a great feeling to ski something skinnier. Being able to hold an edge on groomed terrian is great feeling.

My two ski quiver is kind of wierd and doesn't really make much sense. Fat skis for moguls, glades, and powder. Skinny skis for groomers and crud.

68, 72, 74, 84..... the 84 are my park skis, and they handle pretty decent( as decent as a super soft park ski can handle)

from how your describing you skiing ability and terrain i would make you max no more then 82... and you will be fine hitting nose level. Any wider and its gonna be more work then benifit when getting it over on edge while riding the groomers. between a 78 and a low 80 would br optimal if you really like riding the 'powder' on the side of the trail allowing you to float over everything..

with most skis now they are also blowing out the tips with the waste allowing you to go even shorter and still having PLENTY of surface area to float on
    Current ski's (in size order)

- 160 Rossignol Cuts (rock skis; spray-painted gold/black
    fade with a Salomon 711ps binding)
    - 165 Rossignol R11 Mutix (axial 140)-FOR SALE
    - 169 K2 FUGATIVES (Salomon Z10ti binding)-SOLD
    - 198 K2 X15 MINT.. (Market M29)

Days on the snow= 34

Thanks for the responses. One thing I probably should have mentioned....I am 6' 195 lbs. so not sure how graceful I'd be on those 62 or 64mm carvers!

Steve/Boss you guys a little lighter than me I would assume? Should a near 200 pounder be on skis so thin?

One other thing...I am taking the Izors with me this weekend to SLC for a four day trip. Is 72mm OK for Utah even in powder? I know they haven't had much snow recently but if we get dumped on I may demo a fatter ski.
    Marc

"Cross-country skiing is great if you live in a small country. -Stephen Wright

Thread Information