• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tree Cutting in the Median on the Cape

Puck it

I asked this question a couple of years ago about randomly clear cutting the median on I-93 in NH around Meredith. Now, they are doing the same thing on the Cape on Rt 6 between exit 3 and 6. I just can't figure out the reason.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The excuse given on the Cape was to improve safety but the opposite affect has occurred. Now people are getting blinded by the oncoming lights.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No idea. My aunt manages the school bus system for a few towns on the cape and she was talking about this on Facebook the other day. The excuse the state gave her was "safety".

Puck it

No idea. My aunt manages the school bus system for a few towns on the cape and she was talking about this on Facebook the other day. The excuse the state gave her was "safety".

That is a reason I guess. At least someone knew someting this time. Maybe the same in NH.

wa-loaf

Where are the tree huggers?

Protesting by my office. Some White Maple forest near the alewife reservation is slated to be cut down to build affordable housing on the Cambridge Belmont line. There were literally women with flowers in their hair blocking the access road.

Puck it

Protesting by my office. Some White Maple forest near the alewife reservation is slated to be cut down to build affordable housing on the Cambridge Belmont line. There were literally women with flowers in their hair blocking the access road.

But it is for affordable housing not McMansions!!!

dlague

Uh oh! I see this taking a turn! Liberal conflicting arguments (not you guys) - I want affordable housing, but do not cut the trees down.

Puck it

Uh oh! I see this taking a turn! Liberal conflicting arguments (not you guys) - I want affordable housing, but do not cut the trees down.

Didn't you see Ben Affleck and Bill Maher going at it last week. They could not even agree about Islam.

SkiFanE

Was that this AM? I drive through Alewife (Rt 2 to Boston) every day and noticed this group of people on side road with signs and stuff. Usually its to protest non-union worksites...that was my guess.

Long live the Trees! I do think developers and others don't think of trees as anything but in the way, yet for people in the n'hood it can bring big changes when trees are cut down. The sun/shade changes (hotter in house in summer, lose shade in yard), you can now see your neighbors junk lol...it's uglier. I am not opposed to cutting down when it's needed, but developers want to clear cut all their property and make it easier to build and move equipment around, without thinking of the long term condsequences. So a sligh "pause" and a way to think of a better way to make everyone happy is a good idea.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I wonder if this has to do with viruses or something else on the trees. THey cleared a huge swatch of trees on I-290 between Worcester and Marlboro also where I drive in to work. I wondered the same thing. It looks so crappy now.

Puck it

I wonder if this has to do with viruses or something else on the trees. THey cleared a huge swatch of trees on I-290 between Worcester and Marlboro also where I drive in to work. I wondered the same thing. It looks so crappy now.
Median or sides of the road?

crank

They have been doing a ton of cutting on the Merrit Parkway in CT as well. About 4 years ago a tree randomly fell onto a car on a calm night, landing right on the front seat, killing a mother and father and leaving their kids in the backseat orphaned. Ever since then they have been on a tree cutting mission.

mlctvt

They have been doing a ton of cutting on the Merrit Parkway in CT as well. About 4 years ago a tree randomly fell onto a car on a calm night, landing right on the front seat, killing a mother and father and leaving their kids in the backseat orphaned. Ever since then they have been on a tree cutting mission.

Also major tree cutting on Route 9, 395 and I-91 too. They are cutting the trees so far back on the sides. My guess is so if they fall towards the road they won't hit a car? I've also seen the clear cutting in some areas

This morning I passed 3 separate tree worksites on secondary state numbered roads. Major cut back on tree and branches over power lines. In some places they've taken more than 1/2 of the tree. Very unsightly.

dlague

Also major tree cutting on Route 9, 395 and I-91 too. They are cutting the trees so far back on the sides. My guess is so if they fall towards the road they won't hit a car? I've also seen the clear cutting in some areas

This morning I passed 3 separate tree worksites on secondary state numbered roads. Major cut back on tree and branches over power lines. In some places they've taken more than 1/2 of the tree. Very unsightly.

Always thought it looked weird when half the tree had branches and the side where wires were were all cut off. Just cut down the whole damn tree! They already stripped the tree of half its useful life! Some place along the 93 in NH they took these sideways mover blades and trimmed branches and now looks like ass!

Puck it

Always thought it looked weird when half the tree had branches and the side where wires were were all cut off. Just cut down the whole damn tree! They already stripped the tree of half its useful life! Some place along the 93 in NH they took these sideways mover blades and trimmed branches and now looks like ass!
They did the same on 128 with a backhoe. They just hacked them down and looks like crap.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is it for "revenue"?

I.e. selling them for timber? Most that I have seen are junk wood, but you never know...

Before I left Vermont one could get a permit to "selective cut" trees in portions of the medians I believe.

drjeff

This CT tree cutting program was also as a result/reaction to all the tree damage that effected travel after the combo of Irene, the Halloween snowstorm and Sandy did. I know over in my section of CT, the Northeast Corner, they've been aggressively cutting back trees in the center median and sides of I-395 and also Rt 2, in many places the cut backs have been a good 20 feet or so

hammer

Maybe that's the point, NIMBYs don't want them stinking affordable housing units....might bring the wrong element into town.

That was the angle a few people in my town just used to shoot down a sorely needed proposed sewer expansion project.

Regarding the cutting of the trees, how wide is the median and are they putting in any guardrails? I read and heard reassurances about the wide open median on Rt. 3 in Mass being safe...and they eventually put in a basic guardrail after a few accidents where cars went across the median into oncoming traffic.

darent

But they are leaving sections, it just seems so F'ed up.

Where are the tree huggers?
people are really upset about the clearcutting, It is all over the news and on radio. It just looks awful. their were sections that needed trimmed back. trimmed is the operative word, not hacked back. the people doing the work just hacked it up. where was the oversight. seems you need a permit to take a dump in this part of mass, what happened??